Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't anyone ever attempt to break Rare Bear's speed record?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why doesn't anyone ever attempt to break Rare Bear's speed record?

Originally posted by cmliston
    There is one simple answer to that question MONEY Yes Dago is definitely able to break that record, we just need someone to put up the money to cover the attempt.
    That's more along the lines of what I was thinking. So many people seem to think RB's record is only breakable by RB, while at the same time seemingly ignoring the fact that "Stangs like Dago and Strega have clearly been faster than RB. I'm sure breaking RB's record would be no cake walk, but that doesn't mean there aren't planes out there that can do it. I absolutely think Dago with a Mouse motor would obliterate RB's record and maybe even make it untouchable by RB.
    Last edited by grampi; 06-25-2008, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by grampi
      and maybe even make it untouchable by RB.
      Oh how I looooooooove this kind of speculation but let's not get crazy by using words like "untouchable." RB has plenty more speed potential and Lyle made that clear.

Here's some fun food for thought. What did Steve Hinton Sr do in the Red Baron when he was a spritely 20-year old back in the 1970s? He set a 3km record. Hmmmmm... what might Steve Jr do in the Witch for a grand entrance to racing? If I were he, I would be begging to go after RB's record right about now! And then of course Mr. Lewis could go take it back. And so on and so forth. Nothing is untouchable.

Feel that? That's the feeling of excitement and anticipation that only this sport can provide (IMHO, of course).
      _________
      -Matt
      Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Grampi and others, this has been discussed several times before and those who have lived it and done it have expalined it very well before. Do a search on 3km record on this website and understand what the 3km record is and how it is different thatn the 15km or a lap at Reno (and a how a lap at Reno is different than a 1/2 lap). 550 mph at 15,000 feet is way different than 550mph at 500 ft.

If it was easy and only took money someone would have done it.
        Last edited by Arctic Cat; 06-25-2008, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Cat
          Grampi and others, this has been discussed several times before and those who have lived it and done it have expalined it very well before. Do a search on 3km record on this website and understand what the 3km record is and how it is different thatn the 15km or a lap at Reno (and a how a lap at Reno is different than a 1/2 lap). 550 mph at 15,000 feet is way different than 550mph at 500 ft.

If it was easy and only took money someone would have done it.
          Like I said, I do understand just what it takes to set that record and how difficult it is, but I believe (I don't have any hard data to prove it unfortunately) that a Mouse motored Dago Red was faster than RB's ever been and could've easily broken the record, and possibly set the record so high that RB wouldn't have been able to touch it (contrary to some who seem to think RB has an infinite top speed). RB is absolutely an extremely fast plane, I just believe there have been faster ones.

Comment

Must be careful using initials, acronyms, or abbreviations when it comes to RB. I thought someone was erroneously referring to the Red Baron, had to go back and clarify it was Rare Bear. Seems like the Red Baron is more often referred to as RB, and Rare Bear as the Bear. Just sayin!

Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3
              Must be careful using initials, acronyms, or abbreviations when it comes to RB. I thought someone was erroneously referring to the Red Baron, had to go back and clarify it was Rare Bear. Seems like the Red Baron is more often referred to as RB, and Rare Bear as the Bear. Just sayin!

Tommy
              So true, my bad. From here on I will refer to Rare bear as "Bear."

Comment

I must apologize. I wrote my ridiculously long post at about 3 a.m. this morning and I just re-read it. Pretty much diarreha of the fingers (mouth). Sorry to take up room in this thread.
                "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

i personally believe that if Lyle had Terry Bland or Rod Lewis money 2003 would be written a little differently!
                  getting some of the drag issues on the bear cleaned up, added to a supped up race engine (with spare)! and you might see the mustangs completely out classed on the race course! or any course!!!! 3km 15km
                  completely my opinion, which isnt worth much!
                  P.S. and im a strega fan! lol GO STREGA
                  Last edited by thunderstangfan; 06-25-2008, 11:26 AM.
                  Todd Smith

Comment

Originally posted by thunderstangfan
                    i personally believe that if Lyle had Terry Bland or Rod Lewis money 2003 would be written a little differently!
                    getting some of the drag issues on the bear cleaned up, added to a supped up race engine (with spare)! and you might see the mustangs completely out classed on the race course! or any course!!!! 3km 15km
                    completely my opinion, which isnt worth much!
                    P.S. and im a strega fan! lol GO STREGA
                    I see it a little differently. I don't think Bear could've run with Dago in '03 no matter what. No unlimited class racer (including Bear) has ever run as fast as Dago was running that year.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderstangfan
                      Ya'know... I wouldn't rewrite history one iota during that fan sponsor, fan crew era!

Those guys (crew) literally came out of the stands and into the cave and with little or no resources, they and YOU (FANS!) made it happen...

Truly the Cinderella story of the decade IMHO....

Would the crew have liked having more resources to do what was needed? I'm sure a resounding YES would be the answer.. Looking back now... would they change anything? I doubt it!

Winning RENO with what they had to work with?

Priceless!

Just my opinion...

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I see it a little differently. I don't think Bear could've run with Dago in '03 no matter what. No unlimited class racer (including Bear) has ever run as fast as Dago was running that year.
                        Eliminating the fudge factor, race speed for Dago in Friday's unlimited heat was 496~497. Rare Bear qualified at 491 in 1996 (before 'fudge factor', and incidentally... faster than Dago qualified that year). Dago, Strega and the Bear have all been within a few mph of each other at various points...

Comment

Dago with a Mouse motor would obliterate RB's record
                          OMG!!! Where are the authorities? He said Mouse!!!
                          I'm not allowed to say M@#$%

Hmmmm.... Strega? record run? I've herd that, but where? when?

Dwight Thorn = Mouse
                          Barrow = Sparrow Hawk
                          Nixon = ? Would that be a Trick Dick or a Richard Fitswell?
                          OOPS, sorry wrong Nixon...
                          http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                          http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Again Grampi you are ignoring the course Change.

Dont get me wrong, I love Strega and Dago, there is no question they are at the same level as the Bear's speed.

You just haven'e seen a healthy Bear in person. I have watched that thing literally slingshot past planes on the back side of the course. Including Strega and Dago ( Mostly Strega!)

It all comes down to the magical combination of prep, teamwork, and luck.

It would be awesome if they could all find themselves in the "zone" during the same year and I have no doubt they will again.

Personally I am holding out for Galloping Ghost to be the next inline Champ!

Comment

...because jets will always be faster!

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus
                                You just haven'e seen a healthy Bear in person. I have watched that thing literally slingshot past planes on the back side of the course. Including Strega and Dago ( Mostly Strega!)

ADD Tsunami...Fast+Nitrous Oxide

Comment

Working...
                                X