Brad,
    Yes, I do,
    John
    John Slack

Comment

Re: BALONEY SLICER

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
      For those that repeat the past because they do not learn from it,

They made fun of the tiny little fragile looking racer, all the greats knew this fragile little flash in the pan that had arrived was a joke, it took big racers to win in this class, with monstrous big engines ALL the former champions made lite of its compact size, but in a couple years their big Offenhauser and Novi Roadsters were museum pieces and they were lining up at Colin Chapman's door to by the little Lotus that Jim Clark had. Knowledge is only good if you use it to learn, otherwise it is only trivia.
      Excellent point AND excellent timing since we are going into Indy weekend. (In case nobody was paying attention).
      Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by Air Race Addict
        Excellent point AND excellent timing since we are going into Indy weekend. (In case nobody was paying attention).

Oh, yeah, isn't that where Danica Patrick races?

Comment

Originally posted by fenceliner01
          Oh, yeah, isn't that where Danica Patrick races?

Hey, theres THREE hot chicks in the race this weekend. Okay, well...two hot chicks and Sarah Fisher.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
            Hey, theres THREE hot chicks in the race this weekend. Okay, well...two hot chicks and Sarah Fisher.
            Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon

Milka is a hottie. Meeyowww.
              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

OUch.. very ouch!!!
                Bear..... and now Ghost Fever Forever...... John

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence

Milka is a hottie. Meeyowww.
                  Milka looks like Michael Jackson. So I say a hot chick, another chick, and a monkey with big attachments.

Comment

OMG.... IMHO

bm

Comment

Originally posted by Race5
                      Milka looks like Michael Jackson. So I say a hot chick, another chick, and a monkey with big attachments.
                      You know, I was watching some qualifying from last weekend last night, (thank god for Tivo) and in Milka's picture they had up as a profile, she looked hot and I said, "Hellllllllloooo Doctor." Then they did the interview. Waaaaaaaaait a minuuuuuuuute, what happened to her face? It was all weird lookin'. She does seems to have a better attitude than Danika though. Danika seems like a little bitch. Total turn off. Milka has that spicy little tomato thing going on.

None of this really matters though. All three of these extremely talented women are excellent race car drivers.

Hey, check it out- Milka (dunno)
                      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
                        But that is a factory fuel injection set-up from the 1950's, so......

D'OH!!!

IF I ever get any free time again, I'd like to learn more about that setup. From the little I know it sounds like it has a few features that are really still ahead of the norm even by today's standards. Direct-to-cylinder injection, right? The level of technical effort Wright threw at the 3350 those final years is really staggering, and had to be since it was competing with turbines.

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3
                          Curious about your thinking aflyer. What is it that makes you think that rear engine is backwards. Is it the headers? They look custom. I can't see anything else. Just wondering - do you see something I don't?

Also, for one engine to be backwards, one would have to be reverse rotation. Possible, but why? The crankshafts have to be coupled direct. Concentric drive? Maybe some kind of V-drive set up, but would be extremely complicated.

Not criticizing, just picking your brain on your views. I too enjoy different thinking.

Thanks!
                          Tommy
                          I was looking at the props, obviously counter rotating. I was thinking if the forward engine could have a hollow crank, the rear engine could drive one prop directly, right through the front engine, and the front the other. This takes out the requirement for a heavy gearbox. The headers do make it look like one is in backwards, but you are right, it could just be frame clearance constraints.

I know a short prop turning faster is not as efficient as a slow turning long prop, but a gearbox looses power too, and then there are the torsional harmonic problems, that are extra tough with V-8s. Two different ways to let the engine turn faster. Ground clearance is better too. So, the engineer makes his trade-offs.

Just wild-guessing at what might be possible.

Wayne is right, I shouldn't, and didn't mean to tar everyone with the same brush. But, I felt that the general spirit of the thread had been to ridicule, and that was undeserved.

John

Comment

Originally posted by aflyer
                            I was looking at the props, obviously counter rotating. I was thinking if the forward engine could have a hollow crank, the rear engine could drive one prop directly, right through the front engine, and the front the other. This takes out the requirement for a heavy gearbox. The headers do make it look like one is in backwards, but you are right, it could just be frame clearance constraints.

I know a short prop turning faster is not as efficient as a slow turning long prop, but a gearbox looses power too, and then there are the torsional harmonic problems, that are extra tough with V-8s. Two different ways to let the engine turn faster. Ground clearance is better too. So, the engineer makes his trade-offs.

Just wild-guessing at what might be possible.

Wayne is right, I shouldn't, and didn't mean to tar everyone with the same brush. But, I felt that the general spirit of the thread had been to ridicule, and that was undeserved.

John
                            I didn't think you were ridiculing. Just that you were thinking out loud. And that's ok!

Not so sure about a hollow rat motor crankshaft. I think the mains are too small. Would take considerable re-engineering. That would be a marvel of a set up if someone pulled it off though.

Time will tell. I'm ready for some close up shots of this thing!

Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence
                              You know, I was watching some qualifying from last weekend last night, (thank god for Tivo) and in Milka's picture they had up as a profile, she looked hot and I said, "Hellllllllloooo Doctor." Then they did the interview. Waaaaaaaaait a minuuuuuuuute, what happened to her face? It was all weird lookin'. She does seems to have a better attitude than Danika though. Danika seems like a little bitch. Total turn off. Milka has that spicy little tomato thing going on.

None of this really matters though. All three of these extremely talented women are excellent race car drivers.

Hey, check it out- Milka (dunno)
                              Well, she does make Danica Patrick look like your best friends gawky kid sister, doesn't she?

Who mentioned Michael Jackson?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3

Not so sure about a hollow rat motor crankshaft. I think the mains are too small. Would take considerable re-engineering.

Tommy
                                Ummmm, "re-engineering?" It would take a re-write of the laws of the space-time continuum in order to allow the atoms of the connecting rods and counter-weights to pass through and among the atoms of this proposed inner shaft. Its physically impossible to run a shaft *through* a crankshaft.

He said that the rear shaft could run "through the front engine" but that doesn't mean through the crankshaft itself. There have been other applications where a shaft has run through an engine case but parallel and offset to that engine's crank. In fact the big Chrysler IV2220 that was tested in the Thunderbolt right at the end of WWIIwas sorta like that, except that IIRC its front and rear crankshafts were both geared to an output shaft at the engine centerpoint, and the output shaft ran parallel to the forward crank until it emerged to join up with the prop gearbox. In this case, though, it would seem to make more sense to put an offset spur gear on the rear engine to *both* reverse the rotation direction and offset the output shaft that would then go past the front engine to another gearbox at the prop.

Comment

Working...
                                X