Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BALONEY SLICER

Originally posted by rscott78
    Are those big block chevy's?!? Didn't the pond racer already prove that automotive engines don't belong in the air?
    Isn't the falconer based on an automotive engine?

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The real baloney is what comes out of there holes of wann-beees who have never experienced cutting their own checks whilst motivating there own dreams down the air ways, watter ways or speedways...

BMarsh

Comment

Any way you slice it, it is a strange looking beast!

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
          Isn't the falconer based on an automotive engine?

Good point.

I like the design of the airframe, It looks fast. The gear looks a little wierd, but if it works,great. You can't see it when it's in the air anyways. I would like to apologize for sounding rude, but it is a very different aircraft. It's mostly the prop. And I don't see how the tandem motors are gonna work, but that's why I fix motorhomes and trailers instead of building airplanes.
          That's a negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full...

Comment

Originally posted by ramp mouse
            i say let him finish it, let him fly it, let him race it, then if it doesn't work, then make fun of it.
            I agree with everything you said but the last part. Even if the aircraft enjoys the same lack of success as Garber DG-1, at least he tried which is more than most of us have done. This will be his third Unlimited type racer and I wish him the very best!

And I'm still routing for Wildfire to turn the pylons.
            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
            Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Who cares if people laugh and make fun, as long as you win. There were lots of snickers at the various iterations of Mr. Rose's Mong, but he took a couple of championships with it. Sometimes results speak louder than snickers...

Comment

where is the plane located

the "Baloney slicer"

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                  Who cares if people laugh and make fun, as long as you win. There were lots of snickers at the various iterations of Mr. Rose's Mong, but he took a couple of championships with it. Sometimes results speak louder than snickers...
                  Indeed.

Unlike a lot of people in the air racing community, Dave Rose has actually DONE some stuff, rather than just talk about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
                    Indeed.

Unlike a lot of people in the air racing community, Dave Rose has actually DONE some stuff, rather than just talk about it.
                    True.

But thats kinda like saying that 'Bob Gilliam' did a lot of stuff.

Comment

Who is Bob Gilliam? Is he a three time National Champion pylon racer too?
                      Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris McMillin
                        Who is Bob Gilliam? Is he a three time National Champion pylon racer too?
                        Chris...
                        Bob Gilliam was a hydroplane racer who was quite successful in the smaller classes of boat racing. He stepped up and raced Unlimiteds from 1956-1985. Built a lot of stuff in his garage on a shoestring. In fact, his first Unlimited was built in the hobby shop at Ft. Lewis while he was a Pvt. in the Army...and he had Cols. and Generals down there sanding on the thing. He tried lots of new an innovative things...did things 'his own way', and kind of developed a cult following along the way.

There were moments when he showed flashes of brilliance and appeared on the brink of greatness. And then somehow ALWAYS managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

If he had succeeded in duplicating his success in the smaller classes in the 'class that counted', he would have been David slaying the Goliath of the well-funded powerhouses. But since his 'high-profile attempts' never quite came to fruition, he died with the reputation of the 'junk man of the fleet', and people kind of mention his name with a snicker.

Fair? NO. The man had the werewithal to try new things (on his own dime) in the face of the establishment. But history remembers him only for his failures.

I'm not saying this to knock what David Rose is trying to do...or what he has already accomplished. I'm just drawing conclusions to what other people have said and relating them to something that "I" am familair with.

Just like with Bob Gilliam....."God I hope THIS one blows everyone's doors off...."

Comment

Originally posted by ramp mouse
                          this has been beaten down on & made fun of. The pictures weren't for public release but they were. He told me where the pictures were sent,and forwarded to another site without his permission. Now that the cat is out of the bag, all the comments form the peanut gallery are understandable, but irritating to the builder/designer/owner/pilot.
                          David Rose is the pilot, he inherited mach buster and there was too much to fix to make it a viable project. The airframe twisted under a high power test. Renegade would have been a solid racer if Rara had lived up to their word, The plane was trucked to reno and displayed for rara, and was found to be legal with the addition of strobes at the wingtips for added visibility.
                          after the inspection & before the races the weight limit was moved to 4500 lbs minimum.
                          now David Rose designed a plane to fit the unlimited rules & everyone makes fun of the design, the renegade gear ,the "baloney slicer" cant we applaud the effort in trying to bring an unlimited racer to life? personally i think it looks kinda like the geebee R-1. the plane is well thought out, the motors are nascar spec engines, the frame is NHRA Top fuel spec dragster, its over built & will come in under 4500 ramp weight with ballast added at cg to make weight. Dave has always been a straight shooter and has always had time to field questions about any of his projects.
                          i say let him finish it, let him fly it, let him race it, then if it doesn't work, then make fun of it.
                          as for running the pylons at reno dont hold your breath, too much politics
                          for that to happen
                          Not knocking anyone here, but those engines installed are big blocks. I'm not aware of any big block Nascar spec engines. Cup cars use small blocks.
                          I do like the idea of using blocks though. Easier to make more power with more cubic inches. Lots of aftermarket goodies for them too.

Tommy

Comment

I'm impressed if they designed & fabricated a Contra-Rotating (Counter- Rotating) Prop gearbox. That isn't off the shelf hardware as far as I know.

Comment

....I was sent these same photos A couple months ago....and DIDN'T post them on this site (or any other) for just this reason. this project, obviously a substantial outlay of T L C (time ,labor and Cash) and doesn't deserve ridicule or finger pointing. I hope he gets to fly his creation BUT I'm pretty sure he will never take a lap around the pylons at Reno.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                                Bob Gilliam was a hydroplane racer who was quite successful in the smaller classes of boat racing. He stepped up and raced Unlimiteds from 1956-1985. Built a lot of stuff in his garage on a shoestring. In fact, his first Unlimited was built in the hobby shop at Ft. Lewis while he was a Pvt. in the Army...and he had Cols. and Generals down there sanding on the thing. He tried lots of new an innovative things...did things 'his own way', and kind of developed a cult following along the way.

There were moments when he showed flashes of brilliance and appeared on the brink of greatness. And then somehow ALWAYS managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

If he had succeeded in duplicating his success in the smaller classes in the 'class that counted', he would have been David slaying the Goliath of the well-funded powerhouses. But since his 'high-profile attempts' never quite came to fruition, he died with the reputation of the 'junk man of the fleet', and people kind of mention his name with a snicker.

Fair? NO. The man had the werewithal to try new things (on his own dime) in the face of the establishment. But history remembers him only for his failures.

I'm not saying this to knock what David Rose is trying to do...or what he has already accomplished. I'm just drawing conclusions to what other people have said and relating them to something that "I" am familair with.

Just like with Bob Gilliam....."God I hope THIS one blows everyone's doors off...."

Great story, sounds like an interesting guy.

I think Dave is a great guy too, and wish him all the luck in the world.

Chris...

Comment

Working...
                                X