Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BALONEY SLICER

Originally posted by Apteryx
    They laughed at Bede, they laughed at Rutan, they laughed at the French Flea, (ok we still laugh at the Flea). The way to silence people, is to FLY. Until then it's just an expensive engineering exercise.
    Best of luck to him, but until it flies, it's just an idea.
    It will be interesting to see if a or any Fed, is willing to sign his/her name on the cert. of A/W, then the test flying, yikes. Best glide has got to be pretty interesting.

Everytime I look at these photos. I think to myself, they are fake. If real, then why? Then my thoughts move on to there must be an industrial fan out there missing blades and Boyd is looking for the motors to a couple of his hotrods.

Apteryx, there are those who laughed at Bede's snake oil, and there are those who bought into his dream. Unfortunately for the later half, most are still waiting for thier kits to be delivered.

Comment

I think David Rose deserves all due respect in any venture he goes forth with. He's certainly proved himself in the past.. That said.... Just looking at these pix from a strictly back-yard engineering viewpoint.. I don't see how those prop blades have enough structure to do anything other than bend, unless they were just cooling the shop. Either the picture does not do them justice, or they are only for test purposes.

They *look* to be a one layer (read, thin) piece of metal, cut and shaped. That certainly would not be enough structure to withstand the forces of even moderate flight...

The vertical really does look to be lacking as well.. .Strictly backyard, again but how could enough air flow past the canopy cleanly enough to give adequate authority to the tail feathers?

As far as engine and overall structure, engine placement and structure, as much as we can see, looks fine. The gear is particularly interesting. Not seeing if there are provisions for doors to open to allow straight folding of the wheels.. It looks as though there is a pivot system on them that would rotate them on a spindle in-line with the legs at full retraction. IF so, pretty neat engineering.

You go David!

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer
        Sorry Fence...ain't no Silver Crown in NASCAR, that's a USAC division and they run small blocks (350-355 c.i.).
        Ahh crap, you're right. Although I though they ran 427's?

I would like to formaly recind any comments in which I might sound like I know what I'm talking about. I do not. I should have my head examined trying to sound smart on this board.

Anybody have any cabinet questions? Perhaps any wakeboat questions?
        You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Additional comment from the peanut gallery..

Squeeze? I don't see any accomidations for any induction pressure increase.. no TC's on the exhaust, can't see top of engines to see if there might be some of these nice flat little superchargers that are available now days but looks pretty flat.. in fact, so flat, one has to wonder that this part is not done.. could we see some sort of scoop later? Or might there be something going on inthe area between the front of the cowl and theengines regarding this necessary (IMHO) function?

Again, all strictly from a "back-yard" engineering viewing.. but.. gimme an electric hack saw, a mig welder and a roll of duct tape and the world is my oyster!!!!

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

the plane is located in San Diego at KMYF. they are making steady progress and plan to chase speed records at this time. I doubt the plane will ever turn the pylons at reno, maybe another venue but definently not reno. too much bad JU JU. Ill see if Mr Rose will allow me to take some pics.

Comment

Originally posted by ramp mouse
              the plane is located in San Diego at KMYF. they are making steady progress and plan to chase speed records at this time. I doubt the plane will ever turn the pylons at reno, maybe another venue but definently not reno. too much bad JU JU. Ill see if Mr Rose will allow me to take some pics.
              Ramp.... check PMs...

Wayne
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I would bet, that the prop blades, are just for mock-up. It just doesn't look functional.
                I understand he wanted to try for Reno this year. It will be interesting to see what the Unlimited techs have to say, when it does show up. I think there's going to need to be some demonstrated ability, before they'll sign-off on any radical design.
                Good luck to them, though.

Comment

"I could comfortably crash this at 300 mph," he says.

Easy for me to sit here and pick holes in the article but that is an odd statement to make.
                  GP

Comment

[QUOTE=Apteryx]I would bet, that the prop blades, are just for mock-up. It just doesn't look functional. QUOTE]

I looked at those prop blades alot also, something about them and their shape, then I saw it again, the blades on a 24" box fan I have are almost the same exact shape, which made me think about those 2 wannabe Ford motors and how they dont like to run low rpm's. So I am thinking that those little (small diameter) fans are designed to spin quite fast and them wannabe motors are there to make sure they do.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                      I don't see how those prop blades have enough structure to do anything other than bend, unless they were just cooling the shop. Either the picture does not do them justice, or they are only for test purposes.
                      The vertical really does look to be lacking as well.. .Strictly backyard, again but how could enough air flow past the canopy cleanly enough to give adequate authority to the tail feathers?

The gear is particularly interesting. It looks as though there is a pivot system on them that would rotate them on a spindle in-line with the legs at full retraction.
                      The prop does looks a bit like a fan from the 1970's pusher designs.

Whole concept is so radical that really have to rethink how it works...contra props small in size...pilot's office with tail feathers attached to a sleek cicar ( almost like one of the new STAR WARS metal flyers out from Corusant )...fuse that shape possibly does not need much rudder since it is a tricycle..elevator and ailerons it does need a lot. Then a gain if it is a nose heavy it might need a lot of rudder and elevator ( or does not fly in the first place ) go figure.

Are there any specs available for this tandem V-8 design 3-views perhaps ?

Please remember I am just thinking loud I am not aviation engineer.

Anyhow it is a master piece of metal engineering for sure.
                      http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

I love forward thinking and this is FORWARD thinking folks. I wish RARA wouldbe more apt to advance the sport instead of squashing it. Raising the weight limit on the Unlimiteds so that Renegade can't compete... Why? If Rose was to have campaigned her and had any luck at all can you imagine the interest? The class is Unlimited, not unlimited warbirds. Warbirds are not gonna last forever. Just my .02 worth. Dave, when I first saw your plane I was very impressed. Please by all means keep it up!!
                        Bear..... and now Ghost Fever Forever...... John

Comment

The props could be just for load. Most engines don't like to run at speed without some kind of load. If they are testing the engines and gearbox they might have these props on for engine load. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
                            I'm impressed if they designed & fabricated a Contra-Rotating (Counter- Rotating) Prop gearbox. That isn't off the shelf hardware as far as I know.

DID they? It may be answered later down the thread, but it could be that one engine drives the front prop and one drives the back prop with a comparatively simple gearbox to reverse the rotation of one prop relative to the other and drive a coaxial output shaft.

All in all, I think it looks extemely interesting. Bravo.

Comment

Originally posted by wyhdah
                              The props could be just for load. Most engines don't like to run at speed without some kind of load. If they are testing the engines and gearbox they might have these props on for engine load. Just a thought.
                              Sounds like the best explination so far. Those things do not look air-worthy. Its a cool looking machine. Sure like to see a mo betta pix of the wing and perhaps some dimentions. Bet it makes a bitchin sound crusin on by at 400.

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence
                                NASCAR is just a sanctioning body. The Silver Crown division of NASCAR runs Big Blocks.

I like the idea of it as well. What was the last motor innovation the Unlimiteds saw? ADI? Boil off?
                                Well the most obvious was using Allison rods in a Merlin. Most recent, obvious, and successful.... maybe running a fuel-injected 3350 in September Fury?

Of course most engine "innovations" are far from obvious...

Comment

Working...
                                X