BALONEY SLICER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BALONEY SLICER

I noticed that the propeller blades on what appears to be Machbuster in the Popular Science photo are somewhat similar to that on the new plane. Concidence?

Also, the article says Dave wanted to make an aircraft with a supersonic propeller, ala XF-84H. Could those be very thin supersonic blades on the new flyer?

Comment

I think I saw a show on the mil channel that was about x planes, one had a small super sonic prop on it, they said it made the observers ill, think 125,000 people puking at the same time could happen?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob
        ...think 125,000 people puking at the same time could happen?
        They had problems with more then just puking...

You know, in a twisted sort of way.....

Any way, maybe Pepto Bismal or Sani-Hut for a sponser?

Comment

Sorry you all are so knowledgeable, and so resistant to anything invented less than 60 years ago.

What I see is a very brave attempt at something new. He is betting a lot of work, and a lot of money, and most important, time from his life span...

It looks like the rear engine is backwards. So, maybe, with a concentric drive, counter-rotating props, direct drive, small diameter props ala Paul Lipps, lots of horsepower in a small package.

Imagine this might be the beginning of a new approach...

Those that can, do. Those that can't, criticize.

Comment

Originally posted by aflyer
            Sorry you all are so knowledgeable, and so resistant to anything invented less than 60 years ago.
            Welllll here's where a lot of this net insult stuff gets going.. all being the keyword here..

All of us in this thread have not been raining on David Rose's parade. Some of us have been completely open minded and completely curious... albeit in a very analitical way in some cases...

I'll agree, some are really quite quick to throw the offhanded barb at anything out of the box..

But.. think about throwing out "absolutes" like the awesome All word when you jump into these things..

Off soapbox..

Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I think the plane looks pretty cool! I think Mr. Rose has done a remarkable job with it.
              Tony

Comment

Recoed braker !

I never took a welding lesson, I regret that.

Mr. Rose really does....he has done a pusher, a push-pull and now a tandem engined tractor layout design.

All seem to have this supersonic fan on it.

Definitely the most interesting new racer since MA II, if and when it flies.

What does he call this new one ?
                http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Re: Recoed braker !

Originally posted by Juke
                  I never took a welding lesson, I regret that.
                  One of the things I truly miss from my days as a fleet manager (my job had many "titles") is the welding, fabrication side of things!

We built our own truck beds, as well as many, many other things! Welding metal, then finishing it, meaning, joining two or more pieces of metal and then grinding it so that it looks like one peice... Just one of the most satisfying things one can do!

As for lessons, I did learn the "old" way initially, but... welding with a MIG machine, "glue gun" as real welders call them, truly, much of the skill is in the machine... err.. sort of like the cameras we use today...

Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                    As for lessons, I did learn the "old" way initially, but... welding with a MIG machine, "glue gun" as real welders call them, truly, much of the skill is in the machine... err.. sort of like the cameras we use today...
                    So your saying there's no skill involved in taking pictures today???
                    http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer

It's so easy, a cave man could do it...

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer

Isn't that why they call them 'point and shoot'?

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar

It's so easy, a cave man could do it...

Well at least MY pictures look good ... Mr. Ameba
                          http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                          http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

What I see is a very brave attempt at something new. He is betting a lot of work, and a lot of money, and most important, time from his life span...

It looks like the rear engine is backwards. So, maybe, with a concentric drive, counter-rotating props, direct drive, small diameter props ala Paul Lipps, lots of horsepower in a small package.

Imagine this might be the beginning of a new approach...

Curious about your thinking aflyer. What is it that makes you think that rear engine is backwards. Is it the headers? They look custom. I can't see anything else. Just wondering - do you see something I don't?

Also, for one engine to be backwards, one would have to be reverse rotation. Possible, but why? The crankshafts have to be coupled direct. Concentric drive? Maybe some kind of V-drive set up, but would be extremely complicated.

Not criticizing, just picking your brain on your views. I too enjoy different thinking.

Thanks!
                            Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum
                              Well the most obvious was using Allison rods in a Merlin. Most recent, obvious, and successful.... maybe running a fuel-injected 3350 in September Fury?

Of course most engine "innovations" are far from obvious...
                              But that is a factory fuel injection set-up from the 1950's, so......
                              John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
                                But that is a factory fuel injection set-up from the 1950's, so......

And another nation heard from.

John...do you still need my 'help'?

Comment

Working...
                                X