Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If it's alright AAFOers please check in......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If it's alright AAFOers please check in......

First let me say this is a tragic event. We've all said/felt/expressed that.
    Now....let me say I'm totally disgusted with what the sensationalist media is doing with this issue.

"We must have the courage to end this event" Huh? Yesterday, a cop shot two innocent bystanders in San Fran. Talking the lead of the RGJ, does that mean we must "end pedestrians in San Francisco"? Should we hand out vests whenever you enter the city? It's a sad day, it was a terrible accident no denying it. But terrible things happen every day. Should we all just stay in bed? I for one think not. Life has risks. Every day is a gamble. We willl learn from this. It's not to take away from this tradgedy, but I think the races should go on. And I think the dumb*** media should stick to writing about Charlie Sheen.

Comment

There have always been vultures here, that for whatever reason, don't like the air races. They've never been, but they think they're experts. That includes members of the media. Listening to the NTSB briefings has been difficult. Not because of the NTSB but because of the stupid assed questions the media was asking. Questions that made it clear they were clueless, had no f*cking idea what they were talking about.

I figure we just have to wait, and then make sure our voices are heard loud and clear regarding the continuation of this sport we love so much. I imagine at some point they will have to discuss this at a public meeting. Believe me, when that happens, I'll make sure you all know about it.

And I apologize, I didn't mean to upset anyone by posting the RGJ editorial. I should have let that one go by.
      sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
      http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

I say this not meaning to be disrespectful of those affected by this event but....

What the media should be saying is this. 48 years without a spectator injury and the spectators had a greater chance of dying on the freeway on the way home. That is the real fact of the matter.

If a gas tanker had crossed the center of the freeway when the race was over and killed that many people would those same idiots be calling for banning tanker trucks on the highways?

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Sandra, by all means..post away. You just posted....you didn't write it.
          I couldn't agree more with what you said. I too have been following the
          NTSB investigation and you're totally right, the lame/clueless/sensationalist press with their absurd questions is drivin' me nuts.

Spacegrrl: exactly. You get my drift. I've always felt more safe/secure at the NCAR than I do driving through Oakland.
          Last edited by V1670; 09-18-2011, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately common sense doesn't sell news papers. The decline in subscriptions has only created more sensationalism. That is why I do not read the RGJ...ever!

Comment

Originally posted by doubleup View Post
              Unfortunately common sense doesn't sell news papers. The decline in subscriptions has only created more sensationalism. That is why I do not read the RGJ...ever!
              Well, we locals don't call it the "Reno Gazette Urinal" for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by sandramore View Post
                Well, we locals don't call it the "Reno Gazette Urinal" for nothing.
                I chuckled at that...thanks.

Comment

These are Jimmy's words as reported by msnbc. I could hear Jimmy. lol

"These guys are always on the edge knowing one wrong move, in one split second, could mean the end," the Leeward Air Ranch Racing Team website says. "NASCAR at 200 mph? Indy at 230 mph? Top Fuel at 300 mph? Mere Childs play. Welcome to the Big League."

Comment

Tim Jones here.
                    I had 25 people with me in Row C, boxes 99 and 100, Center show.
                    Last I saw before I hit the ground saying good bye to all, was looking at the spinner coming straight down at me. Impact was about 30 feet away as the arc carried it over.
                    I have a broken leg and another in my boxes has a broken arm. Another was kept in the hospital overnight for possible concussion.
                    All others OK with a few stitches and bandages.

Comment

• Re: If it's alright AAFOers please check in......

Glad you are OK Tim....get well soon.

Comment

Tim,

I'm really glad to hear that you are OK. My wife showed me the story on MSN Friday night and my first through was that you had box seats. I was up half the night with the video of the crash going through my head. I wish you and everyone else involved a speedy recovery.

Chris

Comment

All in C96 and C97 accounted for...... The impact was about 40' in front of us. I thought my friends in the A row were gone till I heard from them Saturday morning.
                          Bret had a broken nose and several broken bones in his face and his wife Gail was tattered with bumps and brusies.
                          I have been thru several things in my life, but to stare down Jimmys' prop with no where to go, I had made peace with GOD and rode it out.
                          Last thoughts befor hitting the ground were "This is going to hurt but please dear GOD spare me the fire."
                          I am so happy to be alive and if I didn't tell y'all I love you today, well I love you.
                          Danimal

Comment

Danimal1, I'm glad you and yours are well and I think your sentiment is felt across this board and our community as well. Not many air race fans here in GA so....

Comment

Chris here, just home to Spokane from the top of Section 3. Some times during the last two days I thought the motorcycle was driving itself. My group is physically not hurt although I am chasing down a report that one woman 20 ft away was hit by shrapnel, but not seriously. If this feeling is PTSD, then I have no idea how our wonderful service men and women take what they see in the middle east....God help them and us.
                              Chris on Sleeping pills

Comment

Lockheed Bob OK. I was in the Heritage Aircraft area until about 2PM & then down to the AT6 pit area where I saw it all. I knew it wasn't a normal Mayday as those with radios heard nothing from Jimmy. Take care all of you.
                                Lockheed Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X