Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If it's alright AAFOers please check in......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If it's alright AAFOers please check in......

Glad to hear you guys and gals are alright, and hope that is the case for the rest of you aafoers, me and my wife witnessed the crash and are sick over it. Our thoughts and prayers to Jimmy and family and the fans involved and their families I am so sorry everyone.

Comment

Needless to say I am OK. I am bittersweet to have not been able to attend this year. I am just sitting here turning my challenge coin over and over in my hand. I will never forget the tow-out to downtown for the "parade" shot in TOR. Jimmy was laughing and joking the whole way. A great friend and a fine pilot. My phone has been bonkers all night and I want to thank those checking in. My friend Jeff touched the nail squarely: "If you had average, ordinary friends.... Extraordinary people take extraordinary risks and sometimes these things happen. They, however, get to experience things most people only dream of. " Jimmy, thanks for letting us ride with you over the years. While we were not in there with you......, we were. Clear skies and tailwinds my friend.
      Jerry Beck II
      Director of Photography
      1st. Asst. Director
      Thunder Over Reno

Comment

I did not make it this year, but had planned on going again in 2012.

This came as very bad news and my condolences to all involved.

Comment

Was out at pylon 8. Had just taken going away shots of the Bear and saw Jimmy going straight in. Didn't see what preceded it. Once we were on the bus and I could see the line of emergency vehicles across the ramp I knew there were spectator casualties.

Awful. Just awful.

Comment

I was on the fence.
            You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

In the corporate boxes just inside the pits, came right over us.

Blue skies . . .

Comment

My family and i are fine. we were about 150 yards away. Has anyone heard from Buckey Dawson?

Comment

All of the Blue Thunder team are ok,we had just gotten off the fire truck victory ride when this happened...Prayers for all those injured and the whole air race community
                  Jim Adams
                  Blue Thunder 2 crew
                  Picabo race 51 crew
                  Rapid Travel race 75 crew

Comment

My heart is broken and I can't stop crying, I'm an emotional cripple right now. When you love something so much you pay the price when it's gone. I was sitting in the Checkered Flag Club bleachers when I thought "Crap another Mayday" then I thought it was coming at me. I left, found my wife and said "I wanna go home". She was inside the hangar helping out. I realized how close these people are to me. Jimmy drove by me in his golf cart earlier I could have reached out and touched him. It was a straight tequila night and I couldn't eat my dinner. I'm going to find an old Catholic church and touch Jesus. Then I'm going to take an airplane ride. Who's got an airplane?

Comment

We were near the top of section I. Everyone in our group is ok. Physically, anyway...

CAVU and tailwinds Jimmy. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by this tragic event.
                      Sky Critter

Comment

Terrible day.

I have to give credit to the Crash / Fire / Rescue people who did an outstanding job. The lack of fire spared many more lives and the torture of burns.

Tj (Heading home today and it brings a tear to my eye as I type this).
                        Tom Johnson,
                        Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
                        www.airpowerinsurance.com

Comment

Wayne, for a multitude of reasons...thank you for providing AAFO to our community

Was planning on attending Saturday. Instead, will stand down at home to remember, grieve... and pray for the survivors.
                          Robert Stanley -Strega fan since '86

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
                            I must have been close to where you were, I decided I couldn't figure out if I should try and jump or run, finally just decided it was moving to fast to dodge, I hate to say luckily the plane rolled and pointed more downward.

The more I think about it, particularly when you see that there was enough G to pop out the tailwheel and the picture where you can't see Jimmy (pulled down in the cockpit), I think after the control failure that caused the pitch up, Jimmy was pulled down into the cockpit and knocked unconcious, forcing the stick to the rolling at the top of the arc and after that the plane was on its own, I expect Jimmy was passed out from the g force. If he was concious when the pull up started I think he would have rolled away from the crowd to the center of the course or tried to recover at the top of the arc by completing the roll or pushing negative. The rolling out instead of pulling up from inverted at low level is a manuver I think they make you demonstrate in PRS. Jimmy was an excellent pilot and rolling out should have been second nature.

Right now I don't know how I am going to get this out of my head.

One other thing that breaks my heart, and I might catch flack for this is the loss of this amazing airplane, all the history she represented. She wouldn't have wanted to end this way. Not as a tradegy.. not taking out her pilot and her fans..

Spacegrrrl
                            Spacegrrrl. I could have typed what you wrote. Seems as though our thoughts are as close as we were. I hope everyone involved is finding some level of comfort and relief today.

Comment

I mostly just read the forums here and don't know many of you. We were on the far end of the boxes (A83/84) and scared as heck but all are OK. I am concerned for a photographer friend who had seats in the "A" row on that end. We know each other only from taking pictures along the fence along the Valley of Speed. His name is Mark ( I'm sorry, that's only how I know him) and would have been there with a lady friend. If you happen to know him, please drop me a private message. The other photographers I know have checked in on other forums, Mark is the only one we're unable to contact.

My thoughts go out to all those affected by the tragedy. Clear skies to all.

Kenny

Comment

Family is ok. Will be headed back home tomorrow.

Our Thoughts and Prayers are with those affected.

Bob B. & family

Comment

Working...
                                X