Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If it's alright AAFOers please check in......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If it's alright AAFOers please check in......

Was trying to watch live tv at work as the unlimiteds were about to start - thought I could get a better connection at home (real frustrating as the video & audio kept going in and out) so hurried home but got a little delayed (which was a good thing in hindsight), jumped back on as quick as I could but just couldn't understand what I was seeing. Looked on the forums and my heart sank as I realized what just happened... I was really looking forward to driving down with my boy (for his 1st time) to watch Sunday's final and spending some quality time together since we both enjoy airplanes. Plan B was to go watch the Thunderbirds - but I just felt too depressed to even think about going to anything airplane related, plus the anxiety of realizing this could have happened just as easily when we were to have been there...

I have really enjoyed this site over many years and all those who contribute - so from a long time lurker, big THANK YOU to ALL! I have only attended Reno a few times over the last 11 years, but now I feel a part of my life is missing, hopefully it will be back but it will certainly never be or feel the same for me... I can only imagine what it must be like for those directly involved with these events - thoughts and prayers to all.

Comment

We could only afford to attend the finals this year. Hard to say more.

Woke up this morning, looked at the blinds on the bedroom window and felt as though nothing existed beyond them.

ccs
      "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
      Martin Caidin

Comment

I know box A35 and A36 are all physically ok. I was out at the VOS for that race, but many of my friends were seated close, very close, too close. Boxes are 10 feet square.

The best info I have from them is the point of impact was near the carpet between the A and B row, boxes A40 thru A44 and B40-B44.

My heart goes out to all.....

Comment

I had the same experiance as glider and Bearfan. I watched the live feed also. At first I thought a bomb had gone off as well. I have neighbors who have box seats right where the impact happened. Thankfully they weren't there at the time. I scrambled to get a call into them, but it took about an hour to find out they were ok. I have felt sick about the whole thing, but I can't help but read posts from others who are feeling the same way. Like glider said, maybe it helps in some weird way. I think it's going to take awhile to be right again.

Race 29
          Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

This unfortunate event was broadcasted here on 4 TV-channel's news ( several times ). I also saw the Mike Houghton press conference live on the web. He was very calm and said; " Jimmy was Jimmy !"

P-51 Mustang Who? Case: 86 - Jan 01 2001 - Mike Shelton / Reno race #69 - Status: Closed, Serial: 44-15651, Registry: N79111. World War II, North American P-51 Mustang survivor in civilian ownership

There is one less racing Mustangs now.

God bless all that got injured or worse.

I saw very professional emergency action after the impact on one footage.

-----------

One question; when the left elevator mounted trim tab departs the ac....will it start rolling a bit if no correction is made ?
            http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

I just walked in the door and just sent this email to a friend. As always I was in the pits watching the gold race. Knew instantly at pull up it was a catastrophic failure and began taking evasive action. When the airplanes pull out of the races it's a smooth straight ahead upward motion. I've never seen an airplane pull up at that angle. The sound was indiscribable, like a low guttral sound, , not just the engine. The airplane headed right over the top of us before crashing into the stands area, I really thought it was going into the main grandstand and it's a miracle it hit where it did. Carrol Shelby and Bob Hoover were in the pit area and very close to the accident, it almost could of got them! I and my friends all feel lucky to be alive.

I predicted this accident to a coworker on Thursday just before leaving and until the last week, when I always get excited, I really did not want to be there this year. I had bad feelings about it and almost cancelled last month but got stuck in too deep as I had cancelled gigs to be there. During the end of the Senna documentary two weeks ago I got a very, very grave feeling about Reno and a voice in my head said there was going to be a huge accident. While leaving my room Friday, I thought of looking back at my room and was thinking of Jackie Stewart's quote about looking back up his driveway when he would leave for races. I just never imagined an off course accident would involve the main grandstands, my thoughts were of something off the last pylon going into the pits. I hope the event and air racing can continue, I just don't know when or if I will be back. Never say never.

It was strange I had picked a hiking trip up Mt Rose to break up the weekend saturday and ended up going there anyway, it helped me deal with this.

My first trip to the races was Sept 17, 1988 and yesterday I pulled out of town 23 years to the day and ten races for me later. Again, I hope they can continue. Jimmy was a great guy and my sympathies to his family and those lost.
              Last edited by John H; 09-18-2011, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Long time listener, but first time caller.

When I first heard there was a crash, I thought "not again." Then I saw the videos and photos, and realized this wasn't like the other incidents over the years.

All forms of motorsport have an element of danger for the participants and spectators. This was a terrible accident and I feel gutted for all those involved. I am sick after seeing everything, and I can't fathom how I would process it all if I were present.

I hope this doesn't mean the end for this classic event.

Godspeed to Jimmy and the others who were lost

Comment

Last edited by InetGuy; 09-20-2011, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Box A35 View Post
                    I know box A35 and A36 are all physically ok. I was out at the VOS for that race, but many of my friends were seated close, very close, too close. Boxes are 10 feet square.

The best info I have from them is the point of impact was near the carpet between the A and B row, boxes A40 thru A44 and B40-B44.

My heart goes out to all.....

I noticed that. The impact point appears to be right between the front and second row of boxes.

10 feet either way fore or aft would have resulted in even more injuries and losses. Not much of a "bright side" to look at, but it's something, and I'm grasping at anything I can to make me feel better even a tiny bit.

Comment

I probably would have been in the middlle or it...as that's is where I ususally hang out during unlimited races. Had personal stuff to do..but was planning on coming afternoon. I took a nap.Condolences to all. Imediately started to get phone calls from all who know me. I'm greatful to hear form all the familiar folks here. It did remind me of Voddo / Hannah years ago. Hopefully we're not done @ Reno.

Thanx for putting the board back up Wayne.

GregS

Comment

ok physically, but otherwise not whole. My condolences to everyone.

Comment

Thought I'd chime in.. Haven't posted a lot here, but I was there and my family and I are ok.. We were all in the NAHI tent at the time of the incident..

Comment

Jimmy Leeward lost his life doing what he loved and I think it would be unrespectfull not to follow these air races. He will be ever remembered.

All my prayers to him and the people involved.

Comment

I rarely post, but read a lot. All are OK in box B87, which is the last box on the east end. We did have small and large chunks of tarmac narrowly miss us, bent box upright pole. We had 2 first responders in our box who provided first aid. Our thoughts go out to all affected by this tragedy. We all hope cooler heads prevail and the races continue. At least the media is interveiwing people testifying to Jimmy's skill and heroism at avoiding the grandstands.

Comment

In the 1950's there was a terrible accident at LeMans that sent a Mercede Benz race car into the crowd, killing as many as 80+ people.

While Mercedes pulled out of racing for several decades, that race continues to this day.

You can't eliminate bad fortune. This was a freak accident. With a 9 mile track, the odds that GG would break something, go up and then come down right there near the crowds and that the plane would go where it did instead of well behind the stands or towards the center of the course must be huge!

Yes, people were lost at Stead, but it could have happened in a pile-up on the freeway going home too. This wasn't a case or poor planning or neglect on RARA's part... It was an "Act of God" if you will.

I think the races will continue, unless lawsuits wipe it out. I don't think you can protect the crowds any further short of telling them to stay home and watch it on TV.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 09-18-2011, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X