Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: a litte advice litte old man problem

Originally posted by h34race View Post
    Randy is right got too excited and needed to get harded details frist sorry all will try to figger out how to remove the post and go back to asking dumb things about stuff I know nothing about I will keep the people that were more helpful and less asuming informed as to what is and isn't thanks all, will in the future ONLY give solid facts verifiable at the time,thanks for all the help and understanding very new and overwelmed with this kind of thing,if the powers that be would remove the post for me I would be very greatfull sorry to waist anybodys time bye all real sorry
    I might be a sucker, but I like to hear airplane stories, even if it does turn out to be a movie prop. I'm sure it has some interesting story behind it. There are a lot of threads on here that I don't follow. I'll read the first couple posts, and if the thread doesn't particularly catch my interest I'll quit following it. I would recommend that those who don't want to hear this story do just that. My vote (for what it's worth) is to leave the thread up.

Comment

Yes leave the thread up. You never know where its going.You can't tell a book by its cover. I agree if you don't like the story don't follow it. There are no dumb questions only dumb answers.
      Lockheed Bob

Comment

H34race,
        Don't go away! Though some may be over-skeptical, and most of us have been burned before, these little "what if's" are part of what makes this so interesting. We've all been flamed for these types of things before, on this site and others. Out of a hundred, maybe one turns out true but that one is worth all the rest. it may be a movie prop, a Mustang, a homebuilt or a piper cub but it is still a find. The fact that you are not an "expert" does not discount you completely! A simple suggestion? Try and get a picture of any part on it to post here. There are those among the regulars on this site that can ID anything from two rivets on the inside of a gear well...
        Last edited by Leo; 06-28-2010, 01:53 PM.
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I will not remove this thread for a couple of reasons.

1st, My intrest (and many others) are piqued. Even if it turns out to be a movie set prop, it has bearing to this web sight. If it turns out to be the real deal, then the "what-if" dream is still alive and well.. and you will get plenty of help here from people who know or can put you in contact with someone that knows the how too's, and what fores.

2nd, This web sight is about sharing. Sharing stories, photos, and info, you name it. If it turns out to be a story, then what a story it was and you had several of us fooled. And this thread can become a place to pull the wool over ones eyes and share more unfounded stories.

H34race,

Don't give up man These guys are seasoned air plane nuts, big and small, old or new. Some are more expert than others, and all of us can be criticle of others ideas, and thoughts. But they are all good guys and ladies with a wealth if info.

Don't take it personally. Take it as a chance to prove em wrong, to better your self, and to prove to your self you are the guy for the job.
          I am pulling for you on this, and hope this comes true for you.

Wolfee

Comment

A-bouuuuut.....FACE!

Comment

Originally posted by deepsky View Post
              I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding your post.

I thought that on the 17th of July, Honduran Major Soto Henriquez, flying a F4U-5N shot down a pair of El Salvadoran Corsairs. Later Major Henriquez shot down a Salvadoran Mustang near the Port of San Lorenzo.
              Sorry...was referring to the Salvadorian Mustangs flown by the Mercenary contingent of Bob Love, Chuck Lyford, Ben Hall, Jerry DeLarm, and...(gads, Hacker...who's the English chap that was down there with them?) versus the Hondouran Corsairs from about day-three of the war onwards.

You are right in that the Salvadorian's actually lost 1 Mustang and 2 Corsairs in air-to-air during the 'opening days' of the war before the Gringo Mercenary pilots made their way down there.

My point was, the more romantic version of the story was that Love was down there adding to his victory tally...when in fact it didn't happen.
              Last edited by Big_Jim; 06-28-2010, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                A-bouuuuut.....FACE!
                Big-Jim,

There REALLY is no need for the attitude in this post... The young man and everyone ells here does not want to see/hear I told you so.

Even if you KNOW FOR A FACT this is not possible (and lets face it you cannot be 100% sure). Give the guy some moral support here, till proven false.

I will give you time to edit this on your own before I do it for you.

Cheers

Wolfee

Comment

A-bouuuuut.....FACE!
                  Originally posted by wolfee View Post
                  Big-Jim,

There REALLY is no need for the attitude in this post... The young man and everyone ells here does not want to see/hear I told you so.

Even if you KNOW FOR A FACT this is not possible (and lets face it you cannot be 100% sure). Give the guy some moral support here, till proven false.

I will give you time to edit this on your own before I do it for you.

Cheers

Wolfee
                  My comment was actually directed at Randy's comment, not the original posters. However, since my statement has appeared to ruffle some feathers, I hubmly apologize. There is no 'edit' tab on the posting to remove or change it...however, Randy is free to contact me in private if he has any issued he would like to clarify with me.
                  Last edited by Big_Jim; 06-29-2010, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Sorry...was referring to the Salvadorian Mustangs flown by the Mercenary contingent of Bob Love, Chuck Lyford, Ben Hall, Jerry DeLarm, and...(gads, Hacker...who's the English chap that was down there with them?) versus the Hondouran Corsairs from about day-three of the war onwards.

You are right in that the Salvadorian's actually lost 1 Mustang and 2 Corsairs in air-to-air during the 'opening days' of the war before the Gringo Mercenary pilots made their way down there.

My point was, the more romantic version of the story was that Love was down there adding to his victory tally...when in fact it didn't happen.
                    "Red" Gray was the 5th mercenary.

Big Jim is referencing a thread over on WIX from several years ago in which there was quite a heated conversation regarding Bob Love's claims of a Corsair kill in the 1969 war.

Although I never personally heard Love make such a remark, several people in warbird circles heard him make this claim more than once. Reportedly there is an audio recording that John-Curtiss Paul has which has Love mentioning a claim of a Corsair kill.

Love's claim is countered with evidence to the contrary that no Honduran Corsairs were shot down during the war, as well as the personal recollections of two of the other pilots who were there and don't remember such a thing.

All Jim is saying is that "hangar flying" is widespread in the warbird world, and verbal claims of an event or item (like a "warbird in a barn") can easily go from bar-top story to mythological status in the blink of an eye.

Agree with the others, I'm interested to see how it pans out. Sure would be interesting if true.

Comment

H34race,

"Don't let the Bastards wear you down!".......There has been much stranger and more unbelievable places that warbirds have been located/found than in an Old Man's Barn. There has always been and always will be the negative Naysayers in this Warbird World and that's just part of the deal. You obviously are not sure what you are looking for or at and are simply asking questions and sharing your experience....THAT'S OK.

I wonder what these same Naysayers would say to a guy that comes on to this board and says that he has heard of a P-40 in Canada buried under ground in a Farmers field for that past 25 years and is going to go dig it up? The kicker is that the only lead he has to follow is a guy who wonders up to the P-40 he is fueling up and says "I had a friend when I was a kid who's Dad had one of these after the War on his Farm".

I say go figure out what's out there and report back to us......no matter what you find, AT LEAST YOU TRIED!

Now, I'm off to Mike Brashear's shop to check out the progress of a certain P-47 that these same Naysayers probably would have told you was not located at the bottom of a certain Austrian Lake.

JC
                      Last edited by JCP; 06-29-2010, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Curtissourus Rex!?
                        I wonder how many people had passed on that story before it ended up in Spinners front yard.
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Big-Jim,

My mistake, I read the "about face" as a comment towards the OP, not to another post in this thread.

Cheers

Wolfee

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                            Curtissourus Rex!?
                            I wonder how many people had passed on that story before it ended up in Spinners front yard.
                            You got it....... I fly with some of those very parts still on our P-40N. Jim Smith in Montana of course flys with the rest. Oh Wait...... that could never happen...it must be pure folklore because according to certain people on this board, every airplane from WWII is accounted for and must have ended up on our Civil Register.

JC

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                              Todd Smith

Comment

Originally posted by JCP View Post
                                You got it....... I fly with some of those very parts still on our P-40N. Jim Smith in Montana of course flys with the rest. Oh Wait...... that could never happen...it must be pure folklore because according to certain people on this board, every airplane from WWII is accounted for and must have ended up on our Civil Register.

JC
                                I don't think we expect to know where each and every last airframe went (well, maybe some do, but that's their problem), and I sure would be cheering if this story is true. I'd shake the hand of any oldtimer who's kept an old aircraft in his barn since Eisenhower was in office. Thing is as Randy so eloquently states in his post here:

Originally posted by Randy Haskin

Originally posted by h34race
                                I will be extreamly pissed off if it's a movie prop or someting along those lines
                                Really?

Even after you've personally visually inspected it enough to say all this:

yes it is a mustang went under and made sure it was a whole plane,thanks all I hate green army tarps very heavy and there are like 8 covering everything in the barn .
                                has a paddle blade prop
                                the thing is baby blue with a white stripy bolt thingys down the sides yuck,prop is polished,yellow nose cone didn't see any numbers yet been 120 + under that tarp and dark
                                color is right strips are bigger and go nose to tail is not H has short tail looks just like it thought
                                ...you still throw out that you hope it's not a "movie prop"?

Talk about a get-outta-jail-free card.

That's a lot to have seen and yet still not have seen an N number.
                                It's just that the content of the guy's story is starting to swerve like a drunk driver on a friday night, and that is what makes us a little sceptic. There has been just a few too many bullsh!t artists on different forums who has made claims the size of Texas just to make themselves look good. And then when the sh!t hits the fan they disappear from the www. I'm not saying that h34race is one of those, but the story is moving towards the broken record section. If this old fogey really want him to check it out (as he says) we ought to have the rest of the story pretty soon?
                                All of us would love to have another warbird come to light. If, say an unknown P-51 were to pop up in your neighbourhood one of these days I'd bet this forum would be linedancing before noon!

To h34race; I really hope there's something in your story, and that you're not trying to embellish, impress nor bullsh!t. You like any other forumite deserve the benefit of the doubt, but I trust you see in the quotes where we note your story changes.

Best of luck!

T J
                                (Still looking for that elusive P-38)

Comment

Working...
                                X