Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: a litte advice litte old man problem

Originally posted by wolfee View Post
    I thought the same thing, That discription sounds like I have seen that plane in the past...

How many baby blue P-51s can there be with a white lightning strip down the sides can there be?

The Mustang currently owned by Jack Hovey used to carry a paint job that fits the description, sans the yellow spinner. Obviously this is not the Mustang in question but it could explain why the paint job sounds familiar.

P-51 Mustang Who? Case: 165 - Mar 15 2002 - Michael Grossman - Status: Closed, Serial: 44-74602, Registry: N6318T. World War II, North American P-51 Mustang survivor in civilian ownership

Comment

color is right strips are bigger and go nose to tail is not H has short tail looks just like it thought, going over there in the morning am hearing from him it was a crosscounty racer not pylon bendix type deal I think thanks all for the advice

Comment

Originally posted by h34race View Post
        color is right strips are bigger and go nose to tail is not H has short tail looks just like it thought, going over there in the morning am hearing from him it was a crosscounty racer not pylon bendix type deal I think thanks all for the advice
        Take your camera, and have fun!!!

Cheers!

Comment

I'm in the Memphis area and may be able to spare some time if you need a hand. Drop me an email at racemech11@aol.com and lwt me know.

chip

Comment

I really hope that this is a true story and not some one's idea of a joke. In reading the other posts about finding planes, when I lived in Santa Fe, NM in the early to late 70's, my dad and I took a ride up to Angel Fire, NM which had a small air strip. I think it was about 1976 or 1977. At the strip there was a bare metal P-51D parked. The lady at the airport would not let us get close, so could not see any markings or numbers. The story she told was that it belonged to a mercenary who flew it in with some minor problem. He said he had to leave and would be back as soon as he could and have someone come with him to fix it. She told us that it had been there about 2 years at that time, and that she had never heard from him.
            I think the story was a bit of BS, but there was a P-51D there. If anyone knows anything about it, I would be interested in hearing the story.

Comment

I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb here to throw the b.s. flag.

Yeah, it was a funny joke when h34race first posted it, but I just can't believe that the rest of you people are taking the bait......too many historians around in the waribrid world today--even with the paperwork shuffles and covert shuttling back and forth to Central America in the 60's--to have a rogue Mustang just pop up out of nowhere. Even with the shell-game played with the Cavalier airframes, they at least had an idea of what airframes 'went in' before they were disassembled and reassembled. "Lil Margaret" was a once-in-a-lifetime find.

You know, kind of how Bob Love used to 'claim' that he shot down a Corsair or two in the Soccer War to 'run up his victory tally'...even though it was documented that no plane-to-plane combat ever took place (verified to me personally by two of the five Mustang pilots who were there) and every single Corsair airframe that was a participant in that little conflict is accounted for? Tales like that just grow more extravagant with age.

There will still be military wrecks that will turn up from time to time, but as far as finding a civilian Mustang in a barn after the old owner parked it for 30 years? Not gonna happen. Oh, and for the record...the only x-country racer (from either Bendix or Harolds Club) that matches your baby blue and white paint scheme is Crosby's "Mr. Choppers"...which is now Jack Hovey's bird. Nobody else had one painted like that. Period.

In fact, h34race...if you come up with authentic, verifiable photos of this phantom Mustang, I'll not only buy you a case of beer, but I'll wear a fez or a propeller beanie on the ramp all week at Reno this year.

Jim
              Last edited by Big_Jim; 06-26-2010, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Big-Jim,

I'm not going to say your right, or wrong here. But I would like to give the guy some credit. There is always that *what-if* that we all dream about. Until it is proven to be a fake story, Let the guy have his moment in the sun shine.

I want to see you wear that beanie..

Wolfee

Comment

I am still in look and verafi mode my self didn't say it was yet I don't want to look afool sorry if it looks badd not in tended just need to now if this guy so off his meds and jacking with me I will be extreamly pissed off if it's a movie prop or someting along those lines thank all for keeping me straight knolage is best sure looks like a mustang,sure doesen't ad up I agree light of day will tell like I said thank all of you for keeping me straight don't want to waist anyones time just need the vast knowlage you all have to know when to say BS and move on or rally the troops,looking with both eyes open is getting old think he's messing with me just have to play nice real sorry if I waisted just needed info and you guys know all

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                    I'll not only buy you a case of beer, but I'll wear a fez or a propeller beanie on the ramp all week at Reno this year.
                    Hey Big... if this comes to pass... I'll not only buy the case of beer, I'll double that and pay for the Fez on top of it!

Long live the shriners!

Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

<...snip...>sorry if I waisted just needed info and you guys know all
                      Rock on h34race.... this place is about being comfortable sharing what we hear and know... nobody should have to fear being dissed for sharing! You added enough clarification to your post... no prop wash should come your way for sharing what you hear!

Geez.. when I was at Tunica a few years ago, a guy ABSOLUTELY convinced me that Frost had put a Lear wing and tail on Mr. Awesome.. he even went so far as to "try" to dial his "good friend" on his cell... when nobody answered.. (assuming, of course, that he'd actually dialed anyone) I took what he said with a grain of salt but.. it seemed valid enough that I mentioned it here on the board...

So... I'd hate to see anyone who has a "tidbit" not share it here because they feared riducule... this one was prefaced with enough.. "whatif's" for me...

Am I right AAFO'ers?????

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I agree Wayne,lets see what happens & go from there. Don't forget there are some people that don't believe we went to the moon & that we have other life form locked up in a hanger in Area 51 from a crashed spacecraft.
                        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                          <...snip...> Don't forget there are some people that don't believe we went to the moon & that we have other life form locked up in a hanger in Area 51 from a crashed spacecraft.
                          Ahh... you mean we did? And we don't???

Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I will be extreamly pissed off if it's a movie prop or someting along those lines
                            Really?

Even after you've personally visually inspected it enough to say all this:

yes it is a mustang went under and made sure it was a whole plane,thanks all I hate green army tarps very heavy and there are like 8 covering everything in the barn .
                            has a paddle blade prop
                            the thing is baby blue with a white stripy bolt thingys down the sides yuck,prop is polished,yellow nose cone didn't see any numbers yet been 120 + under that tarp and dark
                            color is right strips are bigger and go nose to tail is not H has short tail looks just like it thought
                            ...you still throw out that you hope it's not a "movie prop"?

Talk about a get-outta-jail-free card.

That's a lot to have seen and yet still not have seen an N number.

Comment

kind of how Bob Love used to 'claim' that he shot down a Corsair or two in the Soccer War to 'run up his victory tally'...even though it was documented that no plane-to-plane combat ever took place (verified to me personally by two of the five Mustang pilots who were there) and every single Corsair airframe that was a participant in that little conflict is accounted for? Tales like that just grow more extravagant with age.
                              I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding your post.

I thought that on the 17th of July, Honduran Major Soto Henriquez, flying a F4U-5N shot down a pair of El Salvadoran Corsairs. Later Major Henriquez shot down a Salvadoran Mustang near the Port of San Lorenzo.
                              Last edited by deepsky; 06-28-2010, 06:51 AM. Reason: spelling error
                              Tony

Comment

Randy is right got too excited and needed to get harded details frist sorry all will try to figger out how to remove the post and go back to asking dumb things about stuff I know nothing about I will keep the people that were more helpful and less asuming informed as to what is and isn't thanks all, will in the future ONLY give solid facts verifiable at the time,thanks for all the help and understanding very new and overwelmed with this kind of thing,if the powers that be would remove the post for me I would be very greatfull sorry to waist anybodys time bye all real sorry

Comment

Working...
                                X