Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far are you driving or flying from to go to the Reno Air Races?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How far are you driving or flying from to go to the Air Races?

1. Idaho Falls, Idaho
    2. Driving
    3. 830 miles
    4. 5 days
    5. Flip flop back and forth between Sands, GSR, and Peppermill. Usually depends on what kind of deal I can get.
    6. Have been interested in aviation since I was about 8. Grew up with the RB-51 practically in my back yard since Ed Browning was a local farmer. Been attending the races off and on since 1989. Since 1999 I've made it every year including 9/11. This year will be a special once since my wife is coming with me, we were married in Reno in November 1991....so it will be an early 20 year anniversary!!!!!
    Last edited by av8rnid; 09-07-2011, 04:35 PM. Reason: Omitted some information

Comment

1- Covington Ga. Windy Hill Airport GA83
      2- Flying (Delta) Too far for the Skywagon
      3- 2300 mi
      4- 6 days
      5- Peppermill (Blackjack every night)
      6- 10th year in a row
      6a- Everytime I bring a newbe they are hooked. My group is 5 strong now.
      Brad
      Windy Hill GA83

Comment

1. Salt Lake City, Ut
        2. GA Aircraft (Mooney)
        3. 425 miles
        4. 5 days at the Races...
        5. Sands Hotel
        6. Vacation with dad (can't remember the first year I went, got hooked and look forward to the event every year!)

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu View Post
          1. Colorado
          2. Driving
          3. 1000 miles
          4. 4.3 days
          5. Hotel

Jarrod
          Four . three days....another geek.

Comment

Chicago
            Miles, who knows, American flies me.
            10 days
            Some say I'm an ok photographer

Comment

1. Tri-Cities, WA
              2. Driving (actually Nomer is driving Miss Daisy)
              3. 750 miles
              4. 12 days total, including i ON stop on the way
              5. Circus always contract rooms for 2 or 3 groups, so get good rate
              6.Every year since 1985, but attended sporadically until getting involved.
              7. Got my "fam ride" with Chuck Lyford in early 1964 when he had an FBO at Paine Field. Took major portion of Primary there, and soled at Arlington.
              Look for some treats at the NAG Shack this year.

Comment

Tucson, AZ
                Towing RV
                900 miles
                West RV lot #73
                8 days at the field
                Been attending most years since '86
                Sky Critter

Comment

1. Corte Madera, CA
                  2. Skywest RJ
                  3. 218 mi
                  4. 5
                  5. GSR
                  6. Attended 2007-9, meeting a fellow AAFO forum member there
                  who has attended for many years.
                  Missed '10 due to AML transplant.
                  Ready for, and looking forward to, a GREAT race this year.
                  I'm a Dago fan and obviously, I need to pick
                  a new favorite, again....
                  A friend of mine and a friend of my Reno air race buddy's
                  are coming along, so we'll have 4 attendees this year.
                  2 more addicts, er, fans.
                  I wish everyone a safe and good time at the races,
                  and maybe I'll get to meet a few of you!
                  Best!
                  Rich

Comment

1. Fairfield, CA
                    2. Driving or riding with a friend... don't know which yet
                    3. 181 miles
                    4. Arrive this Friday leave the Monday after the races (11 days)
                    5. The Shasta (My buddies R/V)
                    6. With two exceptions I've been to the races every year since 1996. Missed 1997 and 2001 due to "work" obligations. Since 2005 I've been helping (or getting in the way, your pick) with the sport class racer "Blue Thunder".
                    Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                    My Photos
                    My Ride

Comment

Long story, but I've been under the assumption of having MS for the last 24 years. Come to find out in January, that it was actually a "Cavernous Malformation" gradually bleeding out and destroying my spinal cord from within. Faced with two really bad decisions, either continue to get worse exponentially or take the risk and have it removed... I underwent spinal cord surgery on March 21. I was already pretty far gone before surgery but was still able to walk for miles without assistance. Well, after surgery I was pretty well rendered paraplegic. Since then I have recovered to the point of using a walker (about ready for canes now), but I will be attending this year in a wheelchair. A little disability isn't gonna get me down! I haven't missed a show since I started going in 1992, and I'm not about to now!

SOOOOO... I will be driving down this year from the Seattle area, merely for the convenience (I have a beautiful chauffer). I made the 13 hour trek one other time... that was after 9/11 when my flight was canceled.

Comment

Its just over 500 miles from Whittier, CA to Reno, second year in a row driving after flying for years. I enjoy the drive, even though last year I got a stupid speeding ticket on the way, I have zero regrets about not flying. I have a credit on Southwest, but I still am and want to drive.

Comment

1. Corona (round the corner from Chino)

2. Car for the wife, myself and dog. Son and his friend driving up separately.

3. 472 miles.

4. 3 days at races. Arriving Thurs. & departing Monday.

5. Nice quiet hotel (Staybridge) on the south end of town.

6. Number of times at races... a few. A 1st year race poster (2nd race year) hangs in the house. No silly, not that many times... got the poster during the 25th annual race prize drawing

Bob

Comment

Seattle WA
                            Horizon Air
                            563 miles (One Way)
                            10 days (ARR Sat 10Sep in AM - DPRT Mon 19Sep in PM)
                            Rental Class A RV in Pylon Judge Camp Area west of T-hangars at the numbers for RNWY08
                            9th season as Pylon Judge (Home Pylon this year) Camp with buddies in our "Compound", eat very well and consume our fair share of adult beverages. Slide shows in the evening. It is hallowed ground for me. Words simply can't explain what this week means to me. I live for the aroma of AvGas and the hot sweat smell of the high desert sage!
                            Owen Ashurst
                            Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                            http://airbossone.com/

Comment

1. Hiram, Georgia
                              2. Delta Airlines
                              3. Somewhere around 2000 miles
                              4. Thursday through Monday
                              5. Cal-Neva on Virginia Street. Gotta be close to the little Nugget! This will be my 11th year in a row, and my brother and I became friends with the bartender the first year - He and his wife are like family now. We can't wait to see them every year! (Plus, the Awful-Awful is one of the best burgers on the planet for the money. If you're unsure check out the episode of Food Wars where they were pitted against John Ascuaga's Nugget.)
                              "Nine out of ten vegetarians DON'T eat here!"

Comment

1. Villa Ridge, MO
                                2. Flying my Long EZ
                                3. Round trip a little over 3100 miles.
                                4. 4 days
                                5. Staying at Cal Neva
                                6. First time to the races. After the races I hope to fly non-stop from Truckee, CA to Sullivan, MO (KUUV) on the 19th. The straight line distance is 1555 miles.
                                Dave Adams
                                Long EZ N83DT
                                Race 83

Comment

Working...
                                X