Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sky Ranch, Original Site location?

Originally posted by SCEPTER View Post
    Nice find Fence. Now if you could just find the Pylon poles you'd be set. They might still be in the ground.
    I kind of doubt it, but if there are at least stumps of the pylons left in the ground somewhere then they should be easily identifiable, since the old photos show that the pylons were made up of TWO poles each.

Anything else found in the ground like old abandoned telephone poles would most likely look like single poles by themselves, so just look for paired-up poles or stumps. Guess-timating by the photos I'd say they were approximately 10 feet apart.

Comment

Originally posted by SCEPTER View Post
      Nice find Fence. Now if you could just find the Pylon poles you'd be set. They might still be in the ground.
      It's proving to be much more difficult than you might think. Most of the area is now developed or has been stripped down for development that didn't happen when the economy went tits up. Trust me, I have been stomping around out in the sagebrush where I think the ones that might still be around might be and they aint. So far all I have is a piece of runway, some rusty cans and a nicely preserved, steel container of Doans Pills. The pylons are long gone.
      Last edited by Fence Sence; 03-15-2011, 12:20 PM.
      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
        I kind of doubt it, but if there are at least stumps of the pylons left in the ground somewhere then they should be easily identifiable, since the old photos show that the pylons were made up of TWO poles each.

Anything else found in the ground like old abandoned telephone poles would most likely look like single poles by themselves, so just look for paired-up poles or stumps. Guess-timating by the photos I'd say they were approximately 10 feet apart.
        There was actually a variety of pylon set ups out there. Some with two poles, some with three, some with four. It just depended on what course and what purpose they served. Finding them however, is becoming increasingly daunting.

Comment

cool. I'm looking for a couple of pieces of that stuff that are still straight. i get stuck in the sand camping at Lake Lahontan a lot and they would make great ramps!
          Looks like a dozer got that one.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

When I was growing up we always had piles of that stuff laying around, my cousins and I used them for bicycle ramps. Had know idea what they really were back then.
            Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
            My Photos
            My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
              cool. I'm looking for a couple of pieces of that stuff that are still straight. i get stuck in the sand camping at Lake Lahontan a lot and they would make great ramps!
              Looks like a dozer got that one.
              They certainly would. I've dug many a car/truck/motorhome out of that sand.

Comment

Working...
              X