Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sky Ranch, Original Site location?

Originally posted by Apteryx View Post
    If Don Berliner still comes around, he should be a good source as well...
    Don emailed me the other day trying to get a file to me that he thought was too large.... wonder if it's something about this?
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Well, let's see what I can offer with the further assistance of John Tegler's excellent book.

For starters, I remember reading somewhere other than in that book that the "big course" was an oval.

From Tegler's: The course runs over the highway in the center of the valley, but I do not know if the roadway splits the center of the course or is off-center, but with the spectators on the left side of it and the runways and aircraft parking on the right, I believe it was centered over the roadway (just my opinion). Power lines crossed the course too, but if they are still there do they still run the same route today? See any power lines/towers in the new photos?

Little or no mention of unlimited course shape or actual pylon locations in the book, so no help there,...but it does offer a couple of photos providing some Sky Ranch info. The 2 scanned photos below for instance:

One photo from '64 shows an unlimited racer passing in front of the crowds near their cars, traveling from right to left, the opposite of today's Stead course. This means a clockwise race pattern unless the crowds/parking was inside the main course.

Said photo also shows some detailed background mountain features, so some idea of where the photographer was standing might be possible using it for a reference.

The second photo is an aerial shot of the "improved for '65" small plane runway and parking area for same, and the big runway to it's right, that familiar highway clearly visible. The parking area for the big guys appears to be off-camera far to the right judging by the taxiways leaving the bigger runway in that direction. That runway is describe as being made up of pierced steel planking over sand.

That's all I can find. If you want to read detailed text of the first 2 races at Sky and much more, try to locate a copy of that book "Gentlemen, You Have A Race". The info from BEFORE 1964 to 1983 is just pure treasure to hoard. I'm on my second copy .

John's book allowed me the pleasure of "partially" enjoying all the racing action 1'd missed up until '81 when I started attending. I surely wished he had made a sequel from '83 on...

Attached Files
      Last edited by AirDOGGe; 02-24-2011, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
        Well, let's see what I can offer with the further assistance of John Tegler's excellent book.

For starters, I remember reading somewhere other than in that book that the "big course" was an oval.

From Tegler's: The course runs over the highway in the center of the valley, but I do not know if the roadway splits the center of the course or is off-center, but with the spectators on the left side of it and the runways and aircraft parking on the right, I believe it was centered over the roadway (just my opinion). Power lines crossed the course too, but if they are still there do they still run the same route today? See any power lines/towers in the new photos?

Little or no mention of unlimited course shape or actual pylon locations in the book, so no help there,...but it does offer a couple of photos providing some Sky Ranch info. The 2 scanned photos below for instance:

One photo from '64 shows an unlimited racer passing in front of the crowds near their cars, traveling from right to left, the opposite of today's Stead course. This means a clockwise race pattern unless the crowds/parking was inside the main course.

Said photo also shows some detailed background mountain features, so some idea of where the photographer was standing might be possible using it for a reference.

The second photo is an aerial shot of the "improved for '65" small plane runway and parking area for same, and the big runway to it's right, that familiar highway clearly visible. The parking area for the big guys appears to be off-camera far to the right judging by the taxiways leaving the bigger runway in that direction. That runway is describe as being made up of pierced steel planking over sand.

That's all I can find. If you want to read detailed text of the first 2 races at Sky and much more, try to locate a copy of that book "Gentlemen, You Have A Race". The info from BEFORE 1964 to 1983 is just pure treasure to hoard. I'm on my second copy .

John's book allowed me the pleasure of "partially" enjoying all the racing action 1'd missed up until '81 when I started attending. I surely wished he had made a sequel from '83 on...

Thank you Sir. The pictures are a huge help. The event site appears to be just a tick south of where I previously thought it was. I'm going to "dig" around some more out there where the weather breaks. Until then I'll make some calls and do some more E digging.

Thanks for your help everybody. This is one "mystery" I would love to see solved. I mean, while it is wonderful to have unearthed the event site through this thread, the course is where the real action is, or should I say was. What would Stead be without Pylon 4 or outer 6 or the VOS?
        You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

You know, looking at the second pic again, and I don't know if that's a taxiway leading off to the right of the big runway or a crosswind runway. Perhaps it's the latter and ALL the planes were parked by the highway there. That would make more sense.

Comment

You know, looking at the second pic again, and I don't know if that's a taxiway leading off to the right of the big runway or a crosswind runway. Perhaps it's the latter and ALL the planes were parked by the highway there. That would make more sense.
            That does make sense.

Comment

That white plane at the end of the runway looks suspiciously like a mustang...
              Might look on Google Earth to see if there are any ground traces left of the stuff on the left side (as the photo is oriented) of Pyramid.
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                Might look on Google Earth to see if there are any ground traces left of the stuff on the left side (as the photo is oriented) of Pyramid.
                It sure does. I'm going to go out there and kick some dirt around once the snow and rain go away. Looks like it is all just a memory now but, in light of all this new info, I'm rearing to go and see for myself.

Comment

Gonna be a while unless the sun melts enough snow before the next storm series starts tomorrow. Not sure what is out there but the Stead/Red Rock/Cold Springs area sure got a lot.
                  Commuting from Reno to Sacto and back every week I have seemed to hit it on my drive every week we've had snow!
                  I sorta figured some of the roadwork and grading on that side of pyramid should have survived at least as a trace. Sage doesn't grow THAT fast.
                  I'll try and look a little at the photo's, google and such this weekend. The computer I am using daily does not have google loaded and in this office I cannot load it, so...
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

This one taxing out? Kinda looks like a high winged Cessna-type to me...

Comment

Was looking at this one.

It would make sense to park them at least somewhat close to the spectators or where they could be accessed with a pass.
                      Attached Files
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

This one taxing out? Kinda looks like a high winged Cessna-type to me...

Epic fail, Leo.....AirDOGGe is right. That's a Cessna 172.

Comment

The one taxiing is. i was loking at the one parked on the ramp, to the left of the cessna...
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                            Epic fail, Leo.....AirDOGGe is right. That's a Cessna 172.
                            no the tail is to small for a Skyhawk or a Skylane. That is a Centurion.(210)

Comment

at the end of the runway
                              I saw it. The one on the taxi way obviously aint a 'Stang.

Comment

Oh, I give up.
                                I mistook that dark stripe in the center of the pic as a runway, probably a good thing I wasn't flyinto there...
                                I didn't even see the Cessna on the taxiway, again, probably a good thing I was not landing there...
                                The mustang is a white one, almost in the center of the pic.
                                airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X