Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: knotty girl is flying

Originally posted by f1-69 View Post
    gonna have to help me with the crayon type,don't know what that is...
    There are several different types of indicators for hard to reach areas: the crayon type like these: http://www.tempil.com/closeup.asp?ci...id=185&theme=2
    or stick-on labels like these: http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...oduct=THERMAX6
    There are also paint-on laquers as well, all discolor at a set temperature range.

Paul
    Racing catalogs like Pegasus usually carry some version.

Comment

thanks for the info,it was cooler today so i didnt have the same prob it ran good, i think she just had some hot flashes.started work on the fairings today, fiberglass is messy stuff.she looks better everyday im starting to get the sept butterflies,cant wait

Comment

thanks for the info,it was cooler today so i didnt have the same prob it ran good, i think she just had some hot flashes.started work on the fairings today, fiberglass is messy stuff.she looks better everyday im starting to get the sept butterflies,cant wait
        I never worked on airplane engines but busted my knuckles (and brain) on many engines over the years.. so...Just a WAG, could it have been something to do with fuel vaporizing... or, better put, "boiling"? Either in the fuel lines or the fuel bowl...? Or something to do with the spark breaking down...

Wouldn't think it mechanical, as in something too tight, seeing that it ran better at reduced power.. if something was siezing, seems like lower power setting wouldn't smooth it out.. and would, likely, be getting worse.

Again, just WAGGING here, but I'd look at either ignition or fuel, especially if your gauges were "in the green"...

See you in September..
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

were gonna take a good look at it.thanks for the advice.still workin on the tail fairings, hope to be done tomorrow then i get to start on the wheel pants and the gear leg fairings.prob do a little flyin in between though.

Comment

got the gearleg faings and the tail done. flew after it was a little faster either way it looks better with all the holes covered up. flew with the helmet for the first time today it was a little spooky u cant see s*%t out of this thing till ur flyin.ill just have to get the hang of it,everyone else does ,still cant wait to see how she does on the track

Comment

anyone have any fine tuning advice for a rookie ,engine, timing, speed tape ect, just trying to make the best of what little i have, thanks again for all the advice i have recieved so far already.got the new borrowed prop on and it getties up pretty good , i dont think its any faster in the strait away but it doesnt bog down in the turns so it should produce a faster overall speed. ill take any advice

Comment

anyone have any fine tuning advice for a rookie ,engine, timing, speed tape ect, just trying to make the best of what little i have, thanks again for all the advice i have recieved so far already.got the new borrowed prop on and it getties up pretty good , i dont think its any faster in the strait away but it doesnt bog down in the turns so it should produce a faster overall speed. ill take any advice
                Spent a bunch of time on the phone with Kerch a few times, one thing that sticks out in my memory of the conversations was a little goes a long way. In particular, he told me about the use of plastic spoons to cover minor protusions into the airstream.. Like if there is a bolt head or something of that sort, he'd take a spoon, cut off the handle, then form the spoon to fit exactly smooth to the area around the protrusion, once that was complete, he'd silicone the spoon to the "bump" and thus, fair it in to the airstream.

You can still access whatever the fastener happens to hold in/down by pulling off the "faring" when necessary but he told me that little things like this sort of detailing can net you real results.. "a tenth of a knot here, a tenth of a knot there adds up to a knott" was just about an exact quote from him..

Can't wait to see the airplane next month!!...
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Philip,

1st thing is to set the timing at 20 degress BTDC,, next, make sure both ailerons droop at least 10 degress, and ensure one wing has about 2 degress more incidence than the other!!!

I would start your ignition at 30 or so, and just make sure the plane is flying as straight as possible, One of the biggest speed killers for a plane like the cassutt is flying out of rig, there are only 5 things to adjust so its really not that difficult,

1 make sure the engine is mounted properly with respect the waterline of the fuselage,
                  2 make sure the wings incidence is proper with respect to the waterline of the fuselage
                  3 make sure your wings incidence is rigged correctly, ie the left wing flys at slightly higher incidence than the right wing to over come the torque of the engine
                  4 make sure your ailerons are rigged to fly equal, and trailing to the wing
                  5 make sure your rudder is trimmed to fly "feet off" at race speed.

once all of the above have been done, you can then adjust your C of G and position of the horizontal stab to fly as you like at high speed, note, the more rearward the cg in the allowable envelope, is the faster the plane will go as the tailplanes AOA will be reduced, and along with the reduced AOA, comes less induced drag.

From what I have found regarding tape and the above mentioned spoons, well if you have things withing the boundary layer (in our planes its about 1/16 of an ich or so, ie scews, taping wont do squat, but if you have abolt head, or such that pokes through the boundary layer, then most certainly tape it, or spoon it or whatever.. Ever wonder wy some wings only have flush rivets on the leading edge?

From the kingdom.....

-T

Comment

Jon Sharp says that you get a mile per hour for every mile of tape!

Comment

is that of 1 or 3 inch wide tape

Comment

Speaking of tape. What is the brand / type is the tape that is used by most teams for sealing gaps?

Comment

I used that 3M colored tape to match the paint. But, I was only going 180mph.

Comment

ill put some 8.50 10 tires and a stol kit (for tom) crazy canuk

Comment

Now youre talking!!

Comment

It's been my experience, that whatever a wild ass sponsor wants on "his" racer, the team will make it happen, within reason, of course....

Wayne Sagar
                                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                                X