Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you have actually riden in a warbird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How many of you have actually riden in a warbird?

Oh its worth it! I ain't sayin its not. Its really cool if you have two Furys and a Bearcat off your wing when we tighten up for the overhead break Thats !

Comment

Does a Huey count?

Comment

Sure it does.

Comment

LOL..Roger...think I said it reminds me of how much money I spent When I bought my ride in 909 in '98 I could have never imagined getting my B-17 type in her 10 years later. Volunteering and buying rides goes along way these days...even if it serves as inspiration.

jim

Comment

I rode in speedball alice a p-51 in 06,and lady jo a p-51 in 07..The best money i've spent in a long time. well worth the price of admission!!!!!

Comment

T-6
              T-28

PIC in my N2S-5 Stearman. One of these days I'd really like to replace it with a Yak-52TW.

I would definitely like to get a ride in a Mustang someday. A good friend of mine was a member of California Warbirds and flew Straw Boss for about 75 hours, but we never seemed to be in the same place when he was out with it.

Tim

Comment

C-130H 3 times
                Bell 47 2 times
                Tony

Comment

I'll second (third) what someone else said here. Volunteer at a flying museum, wipe, sweep... whatever is asked and in return someday, you might be granted an "appreciation flight"...

When the Evergreen Museum was still a flying museum, I was a volunteer and managed to ride in two warbirds (B-17 tail - P-51 jumpseat) Had I been afforded more off time by my employer of the time, that list would have been longer..

I'll never forget one day sitting with my boss with absolutely nothing to do when he'd earlier told me were too busy to let me take the afternoon off on a fly day. We watched the "fleet" on its way from PDX to McMinnville...

He's all.. "WOW.. .look at that".. I'm all "yea.... I could have been on one of those birds"...

Grrrr!!!

Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

In 2003 I went to the Reno Air Races for the first time. On thurs. I entered the drawing for the T-6 ride. I couldn't believe it when my name was called. I was in the plane for about an hour, and in the air for about 40min. It was the greatest thrill of my life.
                    Marc
                    Anchorage, AK

Comment

I have done a couple also, AT6, P-40, P-51 and C2 COD (landed aboard the John C. Stennis and did a cat launch in the morning. Planes of Fame is where to go for around $500 and well worth it. Thanks, KC

Comment

Am I the only one still kicking that has B-47 Stratojet time? 8th Air Force, 98th Bomb wing, 343rd Bomb Squadron, SAC, aircraft 52-372. 1956 out of Lakenheath, England, as Bomb-Navigation System tech, on a test flight. Also KC-97 out of Lakenheath to Wheelus AFB, Tripoli, Lybia, back and forth several times. C-47 in 1954, C-124 from Andrews AFB to England and back twice, one trip via Azores, Bermuda, to Lincoln, Nebraska, Aircraft Commander faked an engine problem so we could stay in Bermuda for ten days because it was in December, and it was about 85 degrees there and 12 degrees below zero in Lincoln.

Also Dale Clarke Sea Fury, "Nuthin Special", race #40, P-51, "Miss Jeanie", with Skip Holm around the Reno pylons after the "Blind Mans Bluff" caper in 87. Does Howard DGA count? It had been a navigation trainer originally. Mike Dillon's "Super Pinto", with the J-85 was a real thrill, but I don't know if it qualifies. Almost forgot, how about Dale Clarkes P-64 replica? There's more but I don't want to clog up the thread too much. Needless to say that it was a chore getting me into some of these birds. but well worth the effort.

Larry

Comment

Maybe I need to explain, I joined the Air Force in January 1954, at the age of barely 17 years old, born December 8, 1936 and was in for five years. After basic training, I went to Lowery Field in Denver for Bomb/ Nav school, then directly to Lincoln, and assigned to the B-47's that were arriving.

Posting a photo of myself leaning on one of the "quanset huts" at Lakenheath, England in 1956.

Larry
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hawker Driver
                            Which Mustang is it???

TIA,

Lynn
                            It's a blue nose named Excalibur.

Comment

B-25 tons, P-51D x 5, B-17 x 3, B-24A, A-26, TBM, Fouga, C-2 (cats & traps), C-1,T-6 tons, T-28 lots, Stearman tons, N3N, NP-1, P-3 tons, CH-46, CH-53, C-130, C-9, PT-22, O-1, CJ-6 yada yada yada.

Comment

L-3; T-6; T-28 and B-29. Got two take-offs and landings out of the Fifi ride. My fave non-warbird ride was a Beech Staggerwing.

Wish list before I die - P-51, Sea Fury and B-25.

Comment

Working...
                                X