Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you have actually riden in a warbird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How many of you have actually riden in a warbird?

Spent maybe 20 hours in Hurry Home Honey P-51D that was destroyed in a crash. Was a family friend that took me up a lot and what made me a fanatic of P-51's.

Made it my mission in life to own one at some point in my life.

This is a pic of me in the back seat.

P-51 Mustang Survivors: Survivor Home. World War II, North American P-51A, P-51B, P-51C, P-51D, P-51H, F-51D, F-51H Mustang survivor in civilian ownership

Comment

Originally posted by sierra fox
      At the risk of repeat posting of these shots, is this you Norm?
      No it was 78 I think, before SJ got her top turrent.

Norm

Comment

I hauled about 650 T-6 rides this summer over 11 airports on the West coast. Anybody fly in a green or silver T-6? Speak up

Comment

Interstate Cadet----1st airplane ride at 8 yrs old
          C-47
          C-121
          CH/HH/MH3-E 2000 HRS+ FLIGHT ENGINEER SPECIAL OPS
          HH/MH60-G
          C-130
          AC-130 GUN-SHIP WHILE ON COMBAT MISSION
          C-141
          C-5
          T-28
          B-25
          P-51
          P-38 I crewed for Lefty for 13 years

Comment

One more I forgot was a JU-52. What a great ride that was. Just like being in a time machine.
            I have also flown around the unlimited course in a C-130 as a passenger.

Comment

Ford Tri Motor, EAA Fly-in, Rockford Ill. , 1960s for 2 cents/ LBS !
              (Though not quite a true warbird, it was my 1st airplane ride!)

L-5 Stinson, (OshKosh to RFD)
              L-2 T-Craft
              PT-17 Stearman
              PT-22 Ryan
              SNJ-5 ( T-6) (OshKosh to RFD)
              L-19 Bird Dog, (RFD to OshKosh)
              T-28 B
              -----------------
              F-4U Corsair - (Hanger, seat time!)
              P-51D Mustang - (Hanger, seat time!)
              Hawker Sea Furry - (Hanger, seat time!)
              F8F BearCat - (Hanger, seat time!)
              A-36 - (Hanger seat time!)
              TBM Avenger -(Ball turret & pilot seat hanger time!)

Even though the last 6 were only hanger flying "dreaming seat time",
              it was still such a privilege to climb in & have all the time I wanted to just sit back & soak up the history of these historic aircraft, I will count them anyway! (Special thanks to John Kraman & Mark Clark at Courtesy Aircraft!)

Dave Lindeman,
              AeroTech Precision welding & fabricating.
              -----------------------------------------------

Comment

P-51 Speedball/Art Vance/Reno
                B-17 Aluminum Overcast/Napa
                about 45 min left seat DC-3 headed to MEM...back in the day!
                Bob

Comment

Speedball Alice is one of my fav P-15's. I love watching Art fly her at Santa Rosa.
                  CFI/CFII/MEI
                  www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
                  www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Inverted....ah, Art died about 3 years ago...you are probably seeing his son, Dan at the stick.

Comment

Excuse me yes, I am talking about George Clooney aka Dan Vance.
                      CFI/CFII/MEI
                      www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
                      www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Originally posted by grampi
                        I'm 50 years old and I've been trying to get a ride in a warbird (preferably a P-51 or a Bearcat) for most of my life without success. I guess I've just never been at the right place at the right time. I may be on to something now though. There's a small air museum at Valparaiso, IN that has a P-51 (it's a 2 seater). I was talking to the museum's director yesterday and asked about the possibility of going along with the pilot sometime when he plans on flying the plane anyway. I even said I would be willing to make some sort of contribution towards fuel. However, I would never ask anyone to put their warbird in the air specifically for the purpose of taking me for a ride because I know how expensive it is to fly and maintain these rare planes. She said she would get back with me and let me know. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed as this has been a lifelong dream of mine.
                        You know, the most interesting thing about all the replies to this thread, is nobody has come out and said "Buy a Ride". As with myself, I'm sure that a good majority of the replies here were due to paying for a ride. Grampi, you don't list where you live, but I've got to believe the Collings Foundation has probably come through somewhere near to the neighborhood? If not, a fair number of air shows and fly-ins sell rides in warbirds. Yes money can be tight, but if you were to just put a jar aside for pocket change only, you'd be amazed at how quick it can be a surplus fund. If your 50 now, put a jar out just for pocket change, and make that money for a future ride only. Worst case scenario you'll have saved up the money in a couple years? I know my dad always wanted a ride in a P-51, but wouldn't spend the money to do it (I was too young to afford it for him). When he passed away, the coin jars he had dropped his change in for years could have bought him half a dozen rides in a fighter.

Another option is to get involved with an aviation museum as a volunteer, even if they don't have fliers, some of them are able to later reward volunteers with a ride donated by a local warbird guy. You don't need to be a mechanic, museums always have a list of projects that you could help with.

Just my two cents

Comment

'Buy a Ride' = as a thank you for your donation how would you like a ride in this really cool airplane.

LP

Comment

Rode in the following: B-17 (909), B-24 (when it was Dragon and his Tail), B-25 (Tondelayo,right seat on April 18th!)

Comment

Nothin spectacular, couple Mustangs, P-38 twice!, Polish Wilga(does that count?) Chippie, couple T-6's and back of a Fury from here to Reno and back several times. Thats a long haul!! One stop, 5 to 5 1/2 hrs! You don't have a butt when your done with that trip!!
                              My ultimate ride would be in a F7F!!, man I love those!!

Comment

I would happily give up my butt for a Sea Fury ride - numb butt is a small price to pay!!

Comment

Working...
                                X