Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you have actually riden in a warbird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How many of you have actually riden in a warbird?

I was fortunate to have won a ride in Miss-Take (T-6) at the 06 races. RARA had a drawing for people who had Air Race plates.

Comment

just a couple;

Stearman =stick time
      L-2 grasshopper=stick time from nut tree ca to shaftner at a amazing speed of 81mph==3.5 hours
      T-6 ride only but man was it COOL!!!!!4 ship demo at shaftner,I was the safety observer for al goss in the back of WARLOCK..thanks randy goss!!!!!!!!!!
      not a warbird but still cool,Race 75 sport, thunder mustang owned by george giboney...talk about pinned in your seat on take-off!!!!

Jim A
      blue thunder crew member
      Jim Adams
      Blue Thunder 2 crew
      Picabo race 51 crew
      Rapid Travel race 75 crew

Comment

L-4
        T-6
        PT-26
        FI-156D
        P-51D
        TF-51
        P-38
        B-17
        B-24
        B-25

It all started with Ted Contri who I still thank him to this day for my 1st Mustang ride....

Lynn
        Last edited by Hawker Driver; 09-26-2008, 05:04 PM.

Comment

I did! I flew in the B-25 Heavenly Body for a photo mission over Half Moon Bay last April. It was the day before the Pacific Coast Dream Machines. I was 9 years old then and I was in the tail gunner's position.

You can see my pictures and read about it here:
          http://evanflys.com/adventures

Evan
          Last edited by evanflys; 09-26-2008, 05:07 PM.
          http://evanflys.com/

Comment

F-4B Phantom (Republic of Vietnam)
            H-34 (Same crappy Place)
            CH-46 (the same crap hole)
            T-6 at Reno and Tunica
            Mystical Power

Comment

How about the unlimited course at Reno in Sentamental Journey?
              Norm

Comment

Oops! Forgot the C119 and C54 while on active duty.
                I need a C130 (the dirt bike of the air) ride.
                Oh yeah, stick time in an L4.

Comment

B-17
                  B-25
                  DC-3
                  C-45
                  P-40
                  P-51
                  Yak-9
                  T-6
                  CJ-6
                  Yak-52
                  Spirit of St. Louis replica (EAA)
                  T-28

My favorite ride so far...and probably always...Sea Fury "Spirit of Texas" !

Comment

Originally posted by Flashonyrsix
                    Norm

Winner!
                    Red
                    chanting...400+

Comment

Originally posted by Flashonyrsix
                      Norm
                      At the risk of repeat posting of these shots, is this you Norm?
                      Attached Files
                      "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

I just received a reply to the email I sent to the Valpo air museum director. She said they don't have any plans of flying the Mustang anytime soon, but she will keep my contact info if and/or when the occasion does arise when the pilot will be flying without a passenger. That to me sounds like a "yes" answer to my question of would I be able to go for a ride. It's just sounds like a matter of when they'll be flying it again with an empty jump seat. I've waited 50 years so far for a ride, so I can certainly wait until that day comes!
                        Last edited by grampi; 09-27-2008, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red
                          Where'd you get the Storch ride?
                          Reminds me of a story told by a glider pilot friend, since departed. He was a native Check growing up pre WW2 and wanted to fly gliders. After the German invasion, he joined some youth group and learned to fly gliders. This resulted in his being in the air force and he spent the war flying the Storch as a transport pilot.

Just about the end of the war, he was flying two German fighter pilots to one of the "hidden" airports near the alps. Two Mustangs spotted him skimming the ground and turned to make a pass at him. He dodged their first pass, but the Mustangs pulled up and were right over the hidden airport. They quit on him and started beating up the airport. He landed in a valley, let the pilots out, and since he figured the Germans would not appreciate his leading the Mustangs into their airport, took off for Swiss border.

Ended up as a Engineer the USA and a long term glider pilot.

Bruce Patton

Comment

Cool story. Thanks.
                            Cheers

Comment

Flew F-4s and OV-10s, had a couple right seat rides in A-37s (it really does take two hands to pull of a low angle bomb pass with a 250 knot elevator in a 350 knot airplane, he let me drop one from the right seat) and a P-38. The back seat was so small I couldn't wear a helmet and it sounded like I was seated between two freight trains. Only 100 LL gas so no turbos, a CAF show in Natchez MS, fly down the flight line, do an aileron roll, etc. I was surprised the airplane has a yoke like the Beech 18, roll rate very poor, but of course speed never above 220 mph (old IAS guage in mph rather than knots so about the same speed as the old OV-10). Of course the pilot (former USAF RF-4C pilot) had to really baby the airplane but it was a huge disappointment until I had a chance to reflect and realized pilots actually went to war (including Robin Olds) in that old thing. I guess there is a reason they are all in a museum now, I always said if Kermit Weeks had one flight in a T-38 he'd turn his F-51s into racers, junk the rest and start a jet collection. I think the real lesson was the courage and skill of the pilots that flew those old things and won the war that impressed me. Just my opinion. Remember I'm not talking about Rare Bear, Dago Red, or Strega. But when an L-29 can beat them????

Ron
                              Ron Henning

Comment

Originally posted by grampi
                                I just received a reply to the email I sent to the Valpo air museum director. She said they don't have any plans of flying the Mustang anytime soon, but she will keep my contact info if and/or when the occasion does arise when the pilot will be flying without a passenger. That to me sounds like a "yes" answer to my question of would I be able to go for a ride. It's just sounds like a matter of when they'll be flying it again with an empty jump seat. I've waited 50 years so far for a ride, so I can certainly wait until that day comes!

Which Mustang is it???

TIA,

Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X