Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Off Topic: AT 6 contract

Originally posted by JLKnolla View Post
    Completely untrue on all counts, especially the parts.
    Nope. The AT-6 is assembled in US. The AT-6 is a modded Pilatus, a swiss company. And the President has no say over purchasing/acquisition of weaponry.

Comment

The Hawker Beechcraft T-6 is a VERY modified Pilatus PC-9. It is so modified, they are completely different aircraft now. As far as I saw at the factory, they are completely manufactured in Wichita. Some parts may be made in other places tho.

Comment

Originally posted by gcd89 View Post
        Nope. The AT-6 is assembled in US. The AT-6 is a modded Pilatus, a swiss company. And the President has no say over purchasing/acquisition of weaponry.
        Wrong, there are no PC-9 parts on the T-6A, when Raytheon Aircraft Company won the JPATS contract they essentially bought the rights to the 'shape' and aerodynamics of PC-9 from Pilatus. HBC pays a license fee to Pilatus. Even Wikipedia gets it right, which is a surprise.

To meet the JPATS requirements, the plane was significantly redesigned and re-engined, got a whole new cockpit, new ejection seats, and was beefed up structurally. Where the PC-9 has an MTOW of 5,189 lbs, the T-6A is 6500 lbs, 1100shp vs 950 shp - they are not the same plane.

I was at RAC from before winning the contract, and put almost 5 years in on the aircraft, I know it very well.

If you believe that an administration does not influence if not outright control arms sales, I doubt there is anything I can say/write to change that belief.
        Last edited by JLKnolla; 02-12-2012, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks JLKolla, You hit the nail on the head. Lots of politics in gov't contracts. The best planes are not always the ones that win.
          Lockheed Bob

Comment

According to what I have read the Tucano contract is being spearheaded by SNC Sierra Nevada Corporation headquartered here in Sparks,NV, they were also involved in some King Air contracts with the Army in the past, as far as the concern with American made vs foreign although the Tucano is a foreign aircraft SNC claims that alot of the parts are manufactured in the U.S. and that the Tucanos that are to be assymbled for this contract will be done at a SNC facility in Jacksonville FL, so there will be some jobs created here in the States.

Comment

Working...
            X