A Small Reno Pics Offering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Small Reno Pics Offering

As always, thank you! Hope everyone had a great Christmas (or whatever flavor you like).

A couple more:

Comment

With the holiday charter flying season coming to a close I finally have a bit more time to put towards getting the rest of the best Reno stuff up. Here are a few more.

TZW
      Last edited by TwoZeroWest; 01-11-2012, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Real Racing!

Comment

WOW, thats amazing

...gives me the chills!

Amazing photography
          Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

Originally posted by xmh53wrench View Post
            WOW, thats amazing

...gives me the chills!

Amazing photography
            Glad you likey!

Comment

A few new additions:

Comment

Stunning!

Comment

Absolutley amazing photography!

I am curious about something I noticed in a shot of the Super Corsair running up. On page 5, the shot right above "SAWBONES" the super Corsair is doing a run up and there is a red or orange wire coming out the front of the cowling and running back to the leading edge of the left wing. Can anyone enlighten me as to what this is?

Comment

Originally posted by nevadasky View Post
                    Stunning!
                    Thanks very kindly!

Comment

Originally posted by WARPT View Post
                      Absolutley amazing photography!

I am curious about something I noticed in a shot of the Super Corsair running up. On page 5, the shot right above "SAWBONES" the super Corsair is doing a run up and there is a red or orange wire coming out the front of the cowling and running back to the leading edge of the left wing. Can anyone enlighten me as to what this is?
                      First, Thanks for the comment!

You must mean this pic:

They were balancing the prop. That was is wiring for the sensor to the readout on a cart just out of frame.

Comment

TZW, are you sure that they were balancing the prop on that Corsair? That setup looks more like vibration or shock pulse analysis for predictive maintenance purposes. Please don't be offended by my question, I don't know squat about aircraft maintenance....but I know a little about rotating shafts, bearings, etc.

Thanks, Kevin

P.S. Love the F-15 pic!
                        Last edited by FuryFan; 02-06-2012, 02:20 PM. Reason: had to comment on F-15 pic

Comment

Originally posted by TwoZeroWest View Post
                          First, Thanks for the comment!

You must mean this pic:

They were balancing the prop. That was is wiring for the sensor to the readout on a cart just out of frame.
                          Yes, that is the pic I was curious about the wire coming out of the cowling and along the wing. I was guessing that they were measuring something or taking some sort of reading.
                          Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing.
                            No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                            http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by FuryFan View Post
                              TZW, are you sure that they were balancing the prop on that Corsair? That setup looks more like vibration or shock pulse analysis for predictive maintenance purposes. Please don't be offended by my question, I don't know squat about aircraft maintenance....but I know a little about rotating shafts, bearings, etc.

Thanks, Kevin

P.S. Love the F-15 pic!
                              Prop balancing in action.
                              There is a transducer for vibration attached to the cord. A prop blade probably has a reflector tape on it.
                              There is a strobe unit and a black box. Shoot the prop with a strobe unit or some other method of motion capture to begin the process at a designated RPM.
                              Vibration frequency and amplitude is plotted based on degree position of the engine rotation.
                              Black box gives a read out and you add weight or alter existing weight to correct.
                              There are a few different types of equipment avail.

Comment

Originally posted by 51fixer View Post
                                Prop balancing in action.
                                There is a transducer for vibration attached to the cord. A prop blade probably has a reflector tape on it.
                                There is a strobe unit and a black box. Shoot the prop with a strobe unit or some other method of motion capture to begin the process at a designated RPM.
                                Vibration frequency and amplitude is plotted based on degree position of the engine rotation.
                                Black box gives a read out and you add weight or alter existing weight to correct.
                                There are a few different types of equipment avail.
                                Please pardon my tardiness.

So glad someone was able to expand on the process shown here. My original response was based on what I was told as I shot it. There were several starts and shutdowns which, after each, was followed by what appeared to be the adjustment of weights at the propeller hub.

Not being an A&P specializing in these sorts of things I will readily defer to any higher level of knowledge on the subject.

TZW

Comment

Working...
                                X