Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Small Reno Pics Offering

Originally posted by Bill@Interstell View Post
    You need to get some of these up for sale on your site. I like some of these better than the ones that are available there.
    Yeah, you're right.

My site got hacked earlier this year. A lot of damage was done. rebuilding has had to take a back seat to my day job. A real PITA! I'll work on it as soon as I can!

Thanks!

Comment

Three new offerings.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoZeroWest View Post
        My site got hacked earlier this year. A lot of damage was done. rebuilding has had to take a back seat to my day job. A real PITA! I'll work on it as soon as I can!

Thanks!
        Ouch!
        Bill Garnett
        InterstellarDust
        Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

LOVE that Firely shot!
          Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
          World Speed Record Holder

Comment

20West,

I don't post here much, but I just had log in to give you some well deserved Kudos. I happen to love the Firefly, so I'm partail to that shot. Superb work sir!! Where the hell did you come from? lol
            Red
            chanting...400+

Comment

Thanks to all for posting the wonderful images!

Would anybody care to comment about shutter speeds used to blur the props for the in flight shots?

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by RBriscoe View Post
                Thanks to all for posting the wonderful images!

Would anybody care to comment about shutter speeds used to blur the props for the in flight shots?

Cheers!
                Getting props to blur is a relatively simple thing to do in concept but it might be a bit harder to actually accomplish.

Basically, 1/250th gets you a pretty decent blur. Slowing the shutter from there gets you closer to a full prop arc.

One variable is the RPM of the propeller in the first place. Aircraft with fixed pitch propellers will generally be turning higher RPMs than those with variable pitch propellers and/or reduction gearing. In addition, larger propellers have slower top RPMs due to their sheer size. However, larger diameter also means higher absolute radial velocities near the tips of the blades - even at slower RPMs. What this means is that even though the RPM value is lower, the distance that each blade travels in a given amount of time (say 1/250") is larger, thus yielding more blur.

On the large unlimited props getting full arc requires about 1/50 or so. It's a little higher on props with higher RPM settings (sport, biplane, etc.).

Your strategy for shooting to achieve blur is to have control over the shutter speed locked down. In other words, you want it to be at 1/250 at most. On most DSLRs you have an ability to shoot in shutter priority mode which locks the shutter speed and adjusts the aperture as necessary to expose correctly. That's the easiest way to do it but shooting in full manual mode is another alternative.

HTH

Comment

Your strategy for shooting to achieve blur is to have control over the shutter speed locked down. In other words, you want it to be at 1/250 at most. On most DSLRs you have an ability to shoot in shutter priority mode which locks the shutter speed and adjusts the aperture as necessary to expose correctly. That's the easiest way to do it but shooting in full manual mode is another alternative.
                  Great explanation. Thanks! Another tool to help is using a Neutral Density filter. On really bright days it can help.

--md
                  Last edited by madman; 12-01-2011, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by C_Trout
                    More great stuff! Thanks for sharing some of your secrets. As a reaally amatuer pikture taker, it's really nice when the pro's open up a bit. You don't see that too much.
                    Ain't that the truth. I really like it when these guys offer tips. It's the only way to get better (other than a LOT of practice)

Comment

Getting props to blur is a relatively simple thing to do in concept but it might be a bit harder to actually accomplish.

Basically, 1/250th gets you a pretty decent blur. Slowing the shutter from there gets you closer to a full prop arc.

One variable is the RPM of the propeller in the first place. Aircraft with fixed pitch propellers will generally be turning higher RPMs than those with variable pitch propellers and/or reduction gearing. In addition, larger propellers have slower top RPMs due to their sheer size. However, larger diameter also means higher absolute radial velocities near the tips of the blades - even at slower RPMs. What this means is that even though the RPM value is lower, the distance that each blade travels in a given amount of time (say 1/250") is larger, thus yielding more blur.

On the large unlimited props getting full arc requires about 1/50 or so. It's a little higher on props with higher RPM settings (sport, biplane, etc.).

HTH

Thanks so much for that explanation. Not knowing much about photography myself I really appreciate it when someone who knows what their doing takes the time to explain the thought process behind the photo. As with any skill the true masters of their art are not afraid to pass their knowledge along.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                        Thanks so much for that explanation. Not knowing much about photography myself I really appreciate it when someone who knows what their doing takes the time to explain the thought process behind the photo. As with any skill the true masters of their art are not afraid to pass their knowledge along.
                        Thanks. I appreciate your kind words.

There may well be some who think that I should keep the secrets to myself but beginning first in photography and then in aviation I had mentors who fast forwarded my learning and asked nothing more than that I do the same when the time was right.

As a beginning studio photographer, the pro I assisted for made a point of budgeting for an assistant on jobs when he didn't really need one. By doing that he got me into the studio as a paid participant on the shoot. As a result I learned in a matter of a day or two techniques and savvy that had taken him most of 25 years to learn.

Similarly, as I was coming up the professional aviation ladder I had very experienced instructor pilots take me aside and let me in on what was what. From control manipulation techniques to interviewing skills I was privvy to things that put me on a much faster track than I ever could have put myself on.

Photography and piloting an airplane have some very interesting similarities. Both require mechanical skills; both require the ability to be highly situationally aware, and both require judgment, and judgment is the element that cannot be taught.

I'm happy to try to be of help.

TZW

Comment

The CPU cores have been getting warm in my laptop lately. Here's part of the reason why!

Comment

Thanks for sharing with us amateurs! B&W was outstanding.

Frank C.

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter View Post
                              Kona...
                              SWEET!

Frank C.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank C. View Post
                                Thanks for sharing with us amateurs! B&W was outstanding.

Frank C.
                                Thank you! That B&W ranks as one of the best things to come out of my camera in 2011. Glad you liked it too!

Comment

Working...
                                X