Thunder Mustang, John Parker: BANNED, interesting read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boycott Issue

In regards to our call at Silver State News Service (SSNS) not to boycott, we don't feel it would be effective in that, Air Racing is not organized for it. Every individual of course, has to follow their own path in life. SSNS certainly chose a very rough and rocky road to follow by cancelling our coverage. I felt a number of statements needed to be made, thus I have and will continue to make them.

However, a form of "gauntlet" has been thrown down to the fans of Air Racing by Houghton and RARA.

Truly, they have no idea as to whom you are. They indicate you fans don't come up, introduce yourselves and tell them to their faces what you think...like adults.

No wonder in my mind why they don't care or appear apathetic towards the fan response in this matter. No wonder they're not acting like adults in response. No wonder their behavior is indeed, childish. This is beneath the dignity of a professional Motorsport or Motorsports person, particularly in the high-tech field of Aerospace, as Air Racing is and has contributed to immeasureably over the years -- 94 years to be exact.

Just the same, if you dissent with RARA's position -- or anyone's for that matter -- shouldn't "they" be among the first to know it?

A number of attacks are personal in nature, on both sides of the issue. Someone or the other calling for someone's head -- and this goes on all the time. As Frances Anne Kemble made the point clear in talking of slavery in "A Journal of Life on a Georgia Plantation 1836-1838:"

"The most disgusting struggle which is going on here, all the time, on one hand to inflict, on one hand to evade, oppression and injustice."

If we go after calling for people's heads every time someone does something that is wrong, misconduct or out of character, we're damned well not going to have any people left. Plus, it takes reasonable, rational issues, like "Justice, Human Relations, Public Relations, Management, Motorsports and Event Management, et al," and turns them from issues of concern to some form of sequel to the French Revolution of the late 18th Century.

Neither Parker nor officials at RARA should be concerned with stepping out their doors and walking into a waiting mob armed with a guilliotine.

The viewpoint of SSNS is that the "conduct" of RARA is at issue, and that people involved in that conduct can change and so too, the conduct as a result. Only if the conduct goes into provable, criminal behavior, should consideration be given to removal of people.

Therefore, though "names are named," they are pretty much the principal names in this issue and because they are public figures, their names are "out there" on our pages at SSNS and elsewhere.

However, conduct of this matter is an issue with SSNS...not the people conducting the matter -- that is the case at this time. The mere mention of names in our stories or Editorials are not a call for their heads, unless we specifically say so. And you will know if and when we do that.

SSNS wants the conduct to change and as for that "conduct" -- Good Ol' Boy cliques and alleged "Nazi-style" behavior -- SSNS feels are antiquated, if not archaic in nature.

Management of RARA and cultural thinking of that organization is in need of change in the opinion of SSNS. RARA would be a fine place to implement a pure version of W. Edwards Demmings "14 Points," more commonly known as "Total Quality Management" or "TQM." In the concept of TQM, every man, woman and child that comes to you for information and/or assistance, is your customer, and in the teachings of Demmings, you treat your customer with respect and give them 100% of your time, attention and assistance.

In other words, everyone gets respect because we are each other's customer in that sense. The allusion then becomes that we should treat each other with dignity and respect. With such treatment, progress towards the solution of problems is more likely than not. Resolution of the same achieved much quicker.

Instead, we get reports of individuals on the ramp giving harsh treatment to others. Seemingly, treating everyone -- including top notch, highly trained flyers and their maintenance personnel (Racers), like children or idiots. On the other side of the coin, we get people coming to events like Reno, pretending like they don't know the "rules" on that same ramp, or ignoring them, which is an insult to the people in control of safety on the field.

This has nothing to do with the current situation with Parker. He has valid arguments, so does the Airport Manager...that issue is for them to settle and SSNS will be investigating both sides further, to see if a workable solution is available to all parties. SSNS does take the position that this cycle of animousity has existed for decades and is feeding this particular matter -- which would otherwise be insignificant in the grand scheme of things -- to a breaking point when it comes to personal and business disputes.

Going back to the ramp situation, those handing out harsh treatment to the pilots often do so because of a history they've had with those either ignorant of obvious safety issues or deliberately ignoring and thumbing their noses at race officials in contempt. On the other side of the coin, individuals who are new to the Races come in, get the harsh treatment, wonder where these individuals are coming from, and in the style of Auto Racing, accuse them of being NASCAR Nazis or Air Race Nazis or Jeep Nazis.

SSNS's position is that this behavior goes on in regards to both sides of the issue. This behavior continues to feed, one side on the other, in the manner Frances Kemble described of slavery:

"...on one hand to inflict, on one hand to evade, oppression and injustice."

Both sides are guilty. People on both sides take "sides," and so the argument self-perpetuates, snowballs -- whatever you want to call it -- and becomes a vicious circle of opportunities to inflict and evade oppression and injustice.

Therefore, our position is that the conduct of RARA in this case must be the issue being dealt with, but not without regard to those acts inflicted on RARA's people that also smack of oppression and injustice. Every group has its bad, on either side of any story you come across, but we shouldn't forget nor hold out hope that the inherent nature of people is that they are "good" and wish to do "good."

It's just that sometimes you lose focus, particularly when you're angry about a situation, and it is easy to believe you are right and even justify your actions with right-minded positioning and verbiage, but you are none the less wrong in what you're doing, no matter what "spin" you or your "spin doctors" put on that conduct.

The position of SSNS is that RARA is in the wrong on this one -- this time. A tenants rights dispute has no place in either the invitation processes of Air Racing, nor does it have any place in affecting competition or the outcome of the same. Period.

Some other time, you may very well see me take sides with RARA on a position and you'd better believe I'm going to be just as tough. SSNS is still looking at the Airport Safety dispute which has resulted in closure of Reno-Stead during the Race week.

At the present time, we're of the belief that safety issues exist that require the closure of the field for legitimate reasons. We're getting some interesting commentary which will be translated into interviews that discuss both sides of the issue.

However, as far as the RARA dispute with Parker, John Parker is a 20-year minimum Air Force retiree who has earned his right to dissent, not to mention he's one of a number of veterans who have earned the right for all to dissent. John can dissent all he wants, but "no" in the end is still "no."

Just the same, he shouldn't be punished for dissent or utilizing an appellate process in his dissent. He shouldn't be "disinvited," "uniinvited," or "banned" from racing for exercising his Civil Rights. And there's no good reason in the world why he should be denied the right to participate in either the Reno event or Air Racing in general, simply because someone doesn't like him or his opinions, whether those opinions be pro-active or in dissent. That's bull.

So,"conduct" is everything. There are better managerial styles, better ways to deal with people on a continuing basis, better procedures, better rules, better ways to treat each other. And we are all -- at one time or another -- guilty of violating those rules, or "advancing to the rear" to maintain our own spin on an untenable position or positions. We're all guilty. Those who know me as I do, know my own guilt during such times when the shoe is on the other foot or I'm the guy in the middle of a dispute, not just on the outside looking in.

You will find that I agree to disagree. Minimum.

Personality conflicts will occur, but they shouldn't be used to put a guy out of a race or racing. If you want to beat him, do it on the field of competition, not through pusillanimous manueverings outside of the field of competion and/or in the off season.

Is RARA guilty of this? You bet -- in this instance.

However, so too, are others. Which brings me to my point, albeit, the long way around. Those personal attacks -- on both sides of this issue, are bull. If you got something to say to someone, don't just post it on a message board. Be adult enough to say it to their faces as well. At least give them the chance to respond and try to walk away with an agreement to disagree if you cannot resolve the issue in discussion.

We're all guilty of it, so take heart. It's just another way to change your own conduct for the better. Each of us has to work first on their own conduct before they can hope to aide the conduct of another, therefore, we as human beings work on our conduct all the time. It becomes a matter of conscience.

For RARA's conduct to change, they're going to need good examples being set for them on the other side of the fence. A "Good Ol' Boy" handshake (acquiessence) with them won't do that. That only shows corruption and weakness. They'll never respect that, though they will tell you that they do, because it gets them what they want.

They might disagree with you violently, venomously, any number of ways...agree to your face, then talk bad about you behind your back. They may try to lie about you, slander and/or libel you behind your back. That's one individual in an organization. As an agent of that organization, that might be the face you see, but RARA is a sea of faces. You can't judge them all by just one...a very bad mistake you'd make if you did that.

There is bad in every organization, every group, but there is always good just the same.

RARA's conduct has been this way for the 26 years I've been in Air Racing. Sure, you can call for the head of a Mike Houghton or a Bill Eck, and you might even get it, but "be careful what you wish, you might get it."

Had Houghton not been leading RARA on September 11, 2001, on September 12, 2001, Air Racing would have died at Reno. Al Queda would not have killed it. "Failure to lead" would have.

Mike Houghton's been here but a few years. this problem of "Good Ol' Boy" cliques and an arrogant managerial style has been ongoing for almost three decades that I've seen, and others may have seen it longer. There are a few people on this ramp who were here at the first Reno Air Race 40 years ago, and were here when this managerial style first manifested itself.

As for that style, it exists elsewhere beyond RARA. In fact, it dates back to the teachings in "A Letter to the Prince," by Machiavelli. Basically, it's okay to harm a few if the greater good is served by it.

If I had a time machine, I'd go back in time to the moment that Machiavelli picked up the pen, and I'd see to it that he knew what was going to happen as a result -- all based on his advice ever since.

There is a true story of a ship's officer whose vessel sank at sea. He had passengers in an overcrowded lifeboat. To save some, he had to have the weakest voluntarily or forcibly put overboard to their deaths. Such is Machiavelli.

Centuries later, the pop artist Billy Joel has a hit with Goodnight, Saigon. In that song, during the concert, he has Vietnam veterans singing the background. The words of the chorus said this:

and we would all go down together
    we said we'd all go down together
    yes we would all go down together.

That is my thinking. Enough of Machiavelli and his selfish, elitist, absolutist bulls--t. If one of us is in trouble, we don't abandon him.

People are in trouble on both sides of this argument. One, because he is attempting to evade injustice; the group that bans him because their souls are such that they are trying to inflict injustice...and most likely, because they feel that they've incurred some form of injustice from him or others...so much so, that they couldn't take it anymore. Doesn't matter any longer if the guy's right and they're wrong...they've reached some form of breaking point and cannot take it anymore.

There's good people on either side of this argument. It is the conduct we must focus on and a method to filter out the "bad blood" that exists on either side, in order to bring this vicious circle to an end.

Towards that end, I have to take a stand. I feel Parker is in the right. I feel that RARA is in the wrong.

If you boycott, how is either side to know whether their stance is right or wrong?

If you boycott with your honest feelings -- and don't tell people to their faces, exactly what you think -- the problem is just going to fester and get worse. Getting the issues involved with the overall problem out on the table, open for discussion, where lies and slander can be seen and thrown out, and the truth seen for what it is, can result in a resolution. You've got to believe that.

...but you may not, just the same.

Do not boycott this event. It is imperative that you show up here in support. Support what you believe is right, whatever your thinking. Be open to dissent from others. Talk about solutions after you've stated your respective positions. Agree to disagree.

But please don't boycott this event. It is not the time for a boycott. Air Racing is not organized for one and therefore, cannot handle one. More importantly, your words, thoughts and opinions, need to be heard first, otherwise, no one -- least of all RARA -- will have any first hand knowledge as to what your boycott is for or about...

...and you'd be wasting your time as a result. And hurting, not helping, the situation.

Your soul. Your call. My two cents.

My position may seem hypocritical, I do recognize that. But I know that John is right. I know the difference between right and wrong. Tenants Rights disputes have nothing to do with Air Racing. To employ one to oust a competitor -- a contender at that -- is nothing more or less than a petty act, a failure of chivalry, not the conduct of gentlemen or gentlewomen for that matter, and counterproductive to focusing on and solving the real problems that come with human conflict and emotion as they materialize in seemingly insignificant or even more significant "personality disputes."

Today, I'm questioning whether or not John will be RARA's victim in the end, or the fans...if they fail to let their feelings known in person. Make the effort. Show up here at Reno.

Stand for something. Come talk to RARA. Don't be put off by them. Let your feelings be known. Make sure they know your name before you leave this Air Race site known as Reno-Stead Airport. Not just this website...but the site of the race itself. You have to be there/here in person to do that. You have the right, but more importantly, my reasoning is that you also have this particular, singular, individual responsibility.

Make sure your name is respected by them once you do leave. Good conduct is important in regards to this issue. The example you want followed is ultimately the one you want to set.

Take it from someone who has set -- and also failed to set -- good examples during his life.

Best Regards to All,

Mark S. "Bear" Daniels
    Editor
    Silver State News Service

Comment

please send me the file

I fully support AAR and wish to show my support at the races. Can you please send me the file at Diehrs@hotmail.com? I want to make to make some t shirts to give to my other friends attending with me.

Regards,
      Allan Diehr

Comment

Bear -

You lost me at the first mention of Demming and Quality. As someone who lived through the implementation of TQM in the US Air Force, I can tell you that "customer orientation" doesn't *always* work. Reference, if you can find it, an outstanding article called "How TQM killed McDonnell Douglas" which shows how the company's decision to give 100% attention to customer inputs nearly led to the failure of the MD-11 and C-17 programs.

Wow, I didn't intend this to be an anti-TQM rant....I agree that RARA needs to re-orient it's business focus to better address the wants and needs of the Reno participants and attendees. I do not think that something named "Quality" is the answer, however.

Comment

Shirts - show your support

You want shirts? American Air Racing says "can do!" Starting Thursday there will be shirts available in the design done by Victor Archer. Stop by AAR, show your support for John Parker, and wear your shirt proudly. Beacause of the time frame, there will be a limited number available... so hurry.

Bill Pearce
          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
          Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

TQM

Hi Randy:

Just getting back to you...I worked for McDonnell Douglas and can tell you that TQMS (Total Quality Management System), which was implemented by John McDonnell, President and CEO, was a screaming joke. He bastardized Demming's fourteen points and a pure TQM program and that's why Total Quality Management System (his name for his version of TQM) failed there. They weren't sincere about its implementation at all.

I called his TQMS program "Time (to) Quit Making 'Scuses!"

There were still portions of it that were based on Demming's fourteen points, and the Demmings system was successful in revolutionizing industry in Japan. The TQM system (versus TQMS) was a better system and the one that should have been implemented at McDonnell Douglas, not John McDonnell's.

Also, the ultimate failure of TQMS, simply put: Management at all levels was the cause of its failure, because they didn't want to give up power to employees in the decision making process, so they made their own version which, of course failed, because it corrupted the honorable and well-intended, proven system of TQM, that preceeded it.

However, the concept of everyone else treating each other with respect is based on how you would treat a customer if you were a clerk in a store. You wouldn't want to lose their business. There's a certain decorum involved in sales. You have a quality product and want to make it better. You work together, not against each other, and you will succeed. You work together on a good relationship, but treat them with the same respect you'd treat a customer who's business you don't want to lose.

So, believe me...I can understand the failure of TQMS in the Air Force system. McDonnell Douglas built the F-15 and the C-17. Those government programs and officers associated with those programs, such as Colonel Keith Tollefson, who tried to get the company to do right by its implementation of the TQMS program, were ostracized, harassed, black-balled, with Tollefson himself leaving the Air Force for General Dynamics and a civil job.

The Good Ol' Boy network at McDonnell, which included Corporate officials from McDonnell Douglas and Air Force officers up to General ranks, defeated his good intentions and smeared him. Quite the comparison between how McDonnell Douglas did business under a faux TQM(S) program and how RARA is getting along with others right now.

Human Relations based on the purer (Demmings) concept of TQM might go a long ways here in resolving these disputes. However, there are other managerial programs I'm sure since Demmings and TQM. Other ideas, beyond TQM.

Anything, however, is better than Machiavelli.

Hope I didn't lose you again...

Comment

Shirt irony

What's ironic about the free John Parker shirts is that RARA is going to want (and will probably get) their "kickback" for the sale of said garments....

Comment

Bank on that...

They're already benefitting from residual publicity. However, if they draw too much attention to their actions, they stand to blow their boogie, too.

Comment

=

=
                  Russel E. Parker

Comment

Working...
                  X