No announcement yet.

Thunder Mustang, John Parker: BANNED, interesting read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great image Marauder!!!! Can I get permission from you to print that on a T-shirt for myself??? I'm not trying to make any $$$ on the use of the image just one for myself.

Bruce Utzig
    Brewski

Comment

FREE JOHN PARKER

Free John Parker

I'll be doin what I can to be printing a shirt from that image!
      Absoultly fantastic work!

and if you make one, I'll certanly buy one.

Comment

Gazing into my crystal ball......

The T-shirts are the hottest thing this year....
        The utlimate irony....RARA wants their cut of the proceeds.

Wouldn't that be sweet!!
        Brewski

Comment

Poster/T-shirt art

It's back! Ok thank you to all of you that have shown interest in my art. I looked into getting some t-shirts done but there's not enough time to get them done and to the races. For all of you that are interested send me your email address and I'll send you a copy of the file that you can print, t-shirts, posters what the heck how about Thunder Brew! (not for profit please, just in support of John Parker) Speaking of which if anyone would like to offer me something cold to drink while I'm at the races I wouldn't mind at all.
          http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
          http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Marauder, please send me the file.

Brewski_@hotmail.com

Thx.
            The first cold one is on me. I'll be there Wed. and Thur.
            Brewski

Comment

Stop by AAR. I will provide you wil a beer or two or three.

Bill Pearce
              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
              Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

I'm starting to lean toward "Uninvite RARA" as my T-shirt slogan!

Comment

Protest T-shirts

I love the idea of the protest T-shirts and will probably make one up if I go to Reno this year. However, I might just make up one with my own protest. Something like "Equality for Free Lance Photographers". It seems that RARA makes up rules for press credentialing and then when you submit (meeting all of those requirements), they somehow manage to requalify, in fine print, where one is ineligible. It's pure discrimination and not based at all on their own published rules. After winning 3 international photo contests and having multiple magazine covers, RARA has determined that I'm not eligible for press credentials. This in spite of the fact that I have written an article and had photos published in their own RARA program. It's really difficult to watch people getting on the pylon bus who I know have not published any of their work. Explain to me - - throw away cameras and press credential bands at the pylons!!!

I do not want to dilute the current controversy with my own complaints but what I can say is:
                  JOHN PARKER - - I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!

Sue Petersen

Comment

Thunder Mustang

I don’t understand how this guy can be labeled a martyr.

I heard he sent a letter to the FAA in Washington DC outlining how ‘dangerous’ the air races are to the local area as well as airport tenants.

If this is true, I can understand why RARA uninvited him, even if their justification seems a bit shady. RARA has enough issues to deal without a racer (who happens to be a fellow tenant) lobbying the FAA to have the races shut down (i.e. local community, insurance, prize money, ticket sales, etc.).

This guy has supposedly built a business around air racing, yet can’t seem to find a way to work with the only significant air racing body in the world. It seems that Mr. Parker’s unreasonable complaints as a tenant backfired on him as a legitimate racer and businessman.

I can’t imagine a better setting to showcase the advantages of a company that specializes in building kit planes than the Sport Class of the Air Races, but that opportunity was lost to Mr. Parker’s company due to his own actions.

Which is more important to him: being a satisfied tenant or an active racer? Considering the name of his company, American Air Racing, I would say the latter is a better choice. Rather than positioning himself against RARA, it would make more sense for Mr. Parker to be as active in RARA as possible. I think this would be the most strategic way for him to ensure the best interests of his company. I highly doubt Mr. Parker sits on any Air Race boards or committees, even though his hanger is practically right next door to RARA.

Every time a plane crashes in the Stead area, the local neighborhoods make a case that the air races should be moved to a more remote location. The popular counter to this argument is that the air races existed at Stead before most of these homes were built and therefore the locals knew perfectly well what went on every September before moving into the neighborhood.

The same argument can be made against American Air Racing. I don’t know how long Mr. Parker has had a hanger at Stead, but I would venture to say the Air Races were there first. If he doesn’t like the situation in Stead, he should relocate to another local airport rather than trying to shut down the air races.

If this makes me a defender of RARA, so be it. RARA puts on a heck of an event and has the right to do things as they see fit.

Air race fans seem to rally behind the guys that dedicate their lives to air racing, including pilots, mechanics, photographers, journalists, etc. Without the year-round efforts of RARA, there would be no venue for everyone else to shine. I’m rallying behind RARA.

Air Race Fan
                    Reno NV

Comment

Reply from John Parker

The post by an un-named "Air Race Fan" is totally untrue.

All assumptions made are based on an untrue statement that I have sent a letter to the FAA in Washington DC stating how unsafe air racing is. Totally untrue.

John Parker

Comment

Old Tactic

In regards to Air Race Fan's comments -- and this is not blaming Air Race Fan but rather, the source of his information -- this is typical of the misinformation that is spread to cause fear and intimidation in the fans and others who would support a racer for his dissent against RARA.

Simply put, it's the "allegation" by friends of RARA that the dissenter (the accused, John in this case) is trying to shut down the races. This is a common angle...diverts people's attention away from what RARA is doing and makes the dissenter the bad guy. However, the information you've been supplied is not true.

John, in fact, is trying to get into the races...why would he write the FAA claiming the sport is dangerous while he's heavily invested into it and a three and a half decade participant? Why would he be trying to get into the Air Races if he thought them unsafe?

There's no logic to these (trying to "shut down the Air Races") statements that have been given to you and to others as well. The hope is -- by whomever originated this misinformation -- that they can discredited Parker and others by duping people with groundless accusations.

If there's a letter to the FAA from Parker, you would think either he, the FAA, AAWC or RARA would have produced it by now. They (RARA) won't even indicate what he's charged with.

BTW, Parker is also is planning to attend future racing events, such as Las Vegas, R.A.C.E. and Cafe foundation.

The fact that his company's name is "American Air Racing" should be a hint that he has no issues with Air Racing. In fact, in my conversations and interviews with him, he has indicated that he believes professional Air Racing Teams like his can operate in the black.

This is a tenants dispute at Reno-Stead Airport. That is all this is. Tenants disputes have nothing to do with competition.

John wants the Airport open dusk to dawn while the races are not in session. The Airport Manager is indicating that they cannot safely operate the Airport while the Air Races are in session. The Airport is therefore closed, and John is dissenting through appeals to them of their decision.

John is indicating that the Airport can operate safely dusk til dawn, which puts John on the side of a safe operation. He's not going to complain about the airport being unsafe -- which would only get the airport shut down, while he in fact wants it open -- all the while believing that operations at Reno-Stead can be conducted safely after the event has ended for the day and he therefore wants the field open from dusk to dawn for business.

Folks, be careful of the rumor mill. John didn't "uninvite" RARA -- they "uninvited" him. If John thought Air Racing was unsafe, he wouldn't be involved with nor so heavily invested in the Sport. He may as well take his money and burn it as to spend it on racing planes, then say (as claimed) the Sport's unsafe.

The allegation is hogwash, simply put.

Air Race Fan -- check your sources. I'd sure like to know who said that to you.

Everyone, read and analyze what John's opponents are saying...the statement is contradicted by existing facts. Just like RARA contradicted themselves first by saying this was a tennants issue, then claiming it is not.

As for not getting along with RARA, that's one organization that seems to have a problem playing well with others. These problems were typical when I first came into Air Racing and attended my first Reno event in 1977.

In other words, a minimum of twenty six years ago.

Submission to RARA's "Master Plan" is not always in the best interests of Air Racing or the Air Racers. Air Racing isn't going to die because RARA doesn't get its way.

Comment

I would like to state that I am no longer NOT affiliated with American Air Racing. At the start for this event I said that I was not affiliated, well, with what I am doing now, I must say that I am working on several things with AAR. In fact I am at AAR as I type this.

Hey Air Race Fan, sign your post buddy. Sounds like you are a RARA board member. I'm glad that you posted but would appreciate if you sign your name. I think you need to check you facts or state your sources. Opinions are good to have, that means that you live in a free society. Lets find the truth, which means throwing you post in the trash. Use logic; John was going to race this year, if it was dangerous enough for him to express concerns to the FAA, I don't think he would have planned to race. He's been involved since 1967, I think he might have come to terms with the dangers involved long before 2003.

Comments?

Bill Pearce
                          the younger
                          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

"Air Race Fan" sign your post.

Steve Carter

P.S. My apologies "Race Fan".

Comment

Also, "Race Fan" started this post then later on signed as Liz Roberts. Liz has uncoverded some really good articles about this situation. "Race Fan" is not to be confused as "Air Race Fan" who posted that John Parker is working to end air racing.

Hmm.... has two race planes, been involved since 1967, three time champion, participated in three classes, has built three air racers; two of which were original designs, one is in the EAA museum, has decided to spend his retirement furthering his company "American Air Racing".... oh yeah.... I think he wants to put and end to air racing; it all makes sense now.

Bill Pearce
                              from 4SD, NV
                              inside American Air Racing
                              with two race planes ready to go if they were "invited"
                              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Mighty RARA????

I too have emailed Mike Houghton directly to voice my opposition to their childish decision. I get the same responses showing no regret or care. I decided to write a letter to Breitling letting them know of the fowl odor RARA is casting over the minds of the fans. This "Bullying" seems to infect a lot of racing venues from time to time. I sincerely hope all of you take the time to write to some or all of the sponsors. It's the only way we can force RARA to get some ethics mixed into their decision making minds.
                                Sorry Mark, I elected to boycott.....
                                Fred Weaver
                                Sutter Creek, CA

Comment

Working...
                                X