Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you remember?

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
    I seem to remember being told by the guy that plumbed and hooked the system up, that Lyle never once used the squeeze in competition. During the 3km, yes....but never during the roundy-round. The laughing you heard in '91 was Lyle as he whomped the best anyone else could bring.

Could be wrong due to age-induced brain fade, but...
    I remember reading something on this board to the effect that the tanks had not had gas in them since 2000 or something.

That pass in 91 would be pretty incredible if it wasn't done with nitrous. He was pacing them and then suddenly he was screaming past them. Who knows, I dont really care how he did it, nothing will change what I saw. One of my favorite memories. I can close my eyes and see it perfectly.

Comment

There was a heat race back in 80, 81, sometime back then, when he had a radio issue, took off late and was way behind them at the start. As I recollect he was already dq'd for the radio (or missing the start) when here he comes down the chute like a bat. The rest of the pack was already on the back course. By the time they got to home he was with them, and the next time he came around he was almost a half lap ahead and MOVING. He pulled out at that point and landed.
      The only other time I have seen an overtake like that was when RR came up on the Bear a couple years ago.
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Hi Big Jim, I would like to say YES to all your Questions. Reno is my home away from home and has been for many years. I have pictures from 1984 taken on the inside of Pylon #2 of my dad Vic McMann "aka" Typoon pilot, with my son James sitting on his knee at age one.

Thanks, Keith McMann
        Red Knight #64

PS: do not T-bone a Deer with your Harley!!!

Comment

I remember all but Conquest 1, this doen't mean I never saw it, I just don't remember it. Maybe just old age setting in.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith McMann View Post
            PS: do not T-bone a Deer with your Harley!!!
            Yeah, Pilgrim told me you 'lost' that encounter.

Hope you're feeling better.

Comment

My Pop took me up until the early 70's when I missed barely a handfull due to Military servcie.

And this will be my 31st straight year...

DesertDawg....I remember that Blue Angel..they were flying the A4's back then..I think....we were the guys camping in the "ditch" near the gate....
              Last edited by BUD_XXX; 08-31-2011, 03:00 PM.

Comment

How many on here saw Lyle Shelton race the Bearcat in person?
                Yes, many years, was one of my all time fav's.

How many saw Tsunami race?
                Yes, saw all her races.

How many saw Bob Hoover start the Unlimited races?
                Yes, loved the P-51 routine he did. Remember him chopping up a car parked in the pits one year with the 51's prop ......

How many remember when they only raced Friday, Saturday, and Sunday? Bonus as to ow many remember a time when they only ran three Unlimited races every year....Bronze Friday, Silver Saturday, and Gold Sunday?
                No, before my time.

How many saw the Red Baron race?
                No, Sob....

How many saw Conquest I race?
                No, I wish. Greenamyer was a childhood hero.

Other memories;

Miss AII, R.I.P. Gary.....
                Mr. Awesome
                Stilleto / Colortile
                Super Corsair
                Pond Racer, R.I.P. Rick....
                BMB
                The Eagles, Art S, Leo L. and Jimmy F. in the Waco
                Watching Alan Preston race three classes one year. He won Biplane and F1 if I remember correctly.
                '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Was there the first year Lyle showed up with the Bearcat.....I believe it was called Able Cat.
                  Saw Conquest I win many races, plus one that Daryl was disqualified for flying to low......the next year another guy flew her.....and even flew lower...I think he was disqualified too.
                  Heard Hoover say "Gentlemen, you have a Race" many times.....plus one year he flew routines in the P-51, Shrike and an F-86.
                  I missed the races from the early 80's thru about 2002......but was there for the early years of Stead......and haven't missed the last few years.....and looking for to this year and hopefully many more to come.

Comment

Originally posted by airace View Post
                    I've been going to the races since 1964 so I've seen most all of the items.
                    Thanks for the history you preserve, sir. Can't thank you enough. I am at your disposal for anything you might need in the coming month in Reno. -Nick

I've been going since at least '79. Maybe earlier but, I'd have to check. I was 6 in '79. I was also a fenceliner. Still am. I missed a few years after my folks busted up and my dad was outa state but, I haven't missed a year since '87 (I think). Close enough. It all kind of runs together after a while. I poached the barbed wire, watched the RB go down, was there when they dropped the car on the runway, the first Jet race, Dago 500, Lefty, Hoover in the Shrike, Art Scholl, Sandy. Now a days I can smell the change in the air. The bloom of the sagebrush with just a tick of the previous nights cool, moist air underlying the morning heat. It just smells like The Races around here. My ears are on full alert for props on pistons.
                    Last edited by Fence Sence; 08-31-2011, 03:33 PM.
                    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

I remember when you could fly into Stead in the morning before the races.
                      I remember when hot air ballons in the early hours were flown.
                      I remember when an aerobatic contest was held in the morning.
                      I remember the stock airplane all womens air races
                      I remember the Beech Stagger Wing races
                      I remember staying in the old barracks......I think they were $2.00 a night. Went there a couple years with our aviation explorer post....and yes we flew in.
                      I remember the oxen pulling Conquest one out to the ramp
                      I remember race horse starts using the ramp and the runway for the T-6's, biplane and F-1 races
                      I remember the old unlimited oval course with the straight aways in an east/west direction.
                      I remember, I believe it was 3 P-38's in one race
                      I remember 483.041mph (that wasn't at the Reno Air Races though)
                      I remember when the total purse was $25,000
                      I remember the X-country races ending in Reno (Harrahs Races?)
                      I remember ABC's Wide World of Sports covering the Races. (one year, the reporter was starting the show with a shot from the airplane he was flying and saying he was on final for Stead.....the next shots weren't of the landing, but of the airshow......why? because he crashed on final.....if memory serves me correctly, they all walked away ok.......but scratch one Piper Cherokee.
                      I remember the first Sea Fury to Race.
                      I remember when Stead was way out in the desert, and there wasn't much else around.

I'm sure there's more......but I can't remember
                      Brian

Comment

Sat in White Lightning

Saw Miss Ashley II and the last iteration of Precious Metal

Saw Tora Tora Tora

Saw some illegally parked cars "towed"

Saw the first sport races

Saw the JM-2 pusher in F1

Saw Tiger race many times

Saw Bob Hoover's commander performance

Saw FIFI fly with a P-47 (used to be a bigger deal)

Saw Dago's lap

And I'm only 23!

Comment

yes to everything except the red baron, conquest 1 and the three races a day. my first race was 1980. I've been going to reno for 2/3 of my life.

me and nick macy's crew chief, bob were talking about that last year. when nick started racing his pit was filled with kids. now, those kids are bringing their kids. now i really feel old.
                          bob burns
                          ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
                          "dont mess with texas"

Comment

I saw Red Baron race in the mid 70's with Darrly Greenameir...beyond that, I just know some of the people involved with Tsunami.

Comment

I have only been going since 2000, but I did see the SAAB demo team drives cars around the ramp.

Saw Hoover do his Shrike routine all over the mid-west, many, many times.

I wish I could have seen RB-51, in this guys opinion, the finest looking Unlimited in history.

Comment

I saw everything on the list except for Conquest 1 and the Red Baron.
                                I think the most impressive run was Dago Red when it was owned by Mr. Bland. I can not remember a Sunday when it did not finish, or finish first.

Comment

Working...
                                X