Relentless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Relentless

The Kevin's may have very similar names ... but they are in fact different people.
    Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
    My Photos
    My Ride

Comment

Pure coincidence with the exact same name and both pilots...........
      Go figure.For now I stand corrected.Both Kevin's carry them around in wheel barrels then

Comment

While not the best picture I have ever taken... it is one of the most intresting. Right place, right time.
        Attached Files
        Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
        My Photos
        My Ride

Comment

Kevin EldrEdge is the RElEntlEss pilot. (lots of E's)

Kevin Eldridge is the Super Corsair pilot.

Not that I know anything, just have had the same confusion......

Hats off to both!!

Stevo - HOLY SH!T, what a pic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Last edited by Box A35; 09-14-2010, 09:56 PM. Reason: 8-0

Comment

Last year I told Kevin, the Relentless pilot, that it was cool seeing him fly the P-51 at the NAS Fallon show. He said thanks, but that it was the other Kevin flying.

A person can learn a lot from a guy that's lost a prop while going ballz out. Great job Kevin, glad you made it down safe to race another day.

LP

Comment

Thanks for straighten me out.

And I'll second that Holy S#%T what a photo comment.
              Looks bad,very bad.Awesome stick to "Git'er done" and back on the ground!

Comment

Stevo,
                that is a great shot despite it being a little blurry.

Kevin, fantastic job getting the plane back on the ground. You are the man.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
                  While not the best picture I have ever taken... it is one of the most intresting. Right place, right time.
                  great pic stevo and as the say any landing you walk away from is a good one glad to hear that kevin got down safe and sound and hopefully he can repair or rebuilt relentless but the main thing is that he is safe and yes the man must carry them around in a dump truck

Comment

Thank god all the blades departed at one time!
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I'm not positive that all the blades did leave at the same time-something caused the hub to want to leave the flange.
                      Overspeed (prop) followed by
                      asymmetric blade departures would likely put that kind of a load on the fasteners/crank, causing total attach failure.
                      This sure would want me to have a counterweighted prop that wouldn't
                      go to the fine pitch stop if I lost minimum oil pressure from the govenor.

Stevo--SON OF A BITCH,What AN AWESOME Shot!
                      Kudos Buddy!

Comment

It may be an illusion, but it sure looks like the whole front cowl is pointed down in that picture. Engine mounts busted?

Comment

I did get some really good footage and shared it with Kevin this morning, once I get home I'll get it online ASAP.
                          Jason
                          Jason Schillereff

Comment

Had a good look at Relentless and recovered pieces this morning. Also took in Kevin's response to many questions (including a couple of my own).

Kevin and crew believe a line to the oil cooler failed first which caused a loss of oil pressure. The loss of oil pressure allowed the composite prop to go "flat" (low pitch angle/high RPM) resulting in an engine over speed (WAY over speed). Result of the over speed was the shedding of prop blades, disintegration of the accessory case, and what appears to be a connecting rod or two out the top rear of the crankcase. The propeller hub broke off cleanly between the blade attach area and attachment to the engine crankshaft flange. The engine also backfired in a big way blowing the induction system apart.

In Kevin's own words, "That happened in the first half-second."

A small oil fed fire erupted after landing which was quickly extinguished by the fire department. All notable damage is firewall forward. The engine did not leave the mount. There's damage to the upper cowl half likely caused by departing propeller parts.

A lot more was said but I've tried to stick to the technical side as there seemed to be a lot questions and speculation, but not much information.

Stevo's picture captures it visually, but the sound was something else. I would describe it as a loud, high pitched, attention getting "BRAAPPP!" ending with a distinct "POP", then silence. And Kevin was right, it happened in the first half second.

Kevin did a great job handling the emergency. It took skill and a huge dose of cool for the successful outcome.

Comment

Comment

Whatta shame!

Can't wait til next yr Kevin!

Comment

Working...
                                X