X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BuckyD
    replied
    Re: Tsunami construction photos

Works for me! Good job, John & more power to ya f/your from-the-heart efforts to honor your late Grandpa,-by revitalizing Tsunami's legacy as a top contender. We all look forward to the day she returns to the sky! Good luck & press-on, young man - keep your dreams alive!!!

DBD

Leave a comment:

• Jason S.
    replied

Nice video JR, good luck on getting both planes built and flying.
    Jason

Leave a comment:

• LittleJR
    replied

I through together a little video last night. I know nothing about video editing so don't hold it against me

Tsunami Promo

Leave a comment:

• LittleJR
    replied

I just received word last week from the EAA, it's been confirmed Tsunami has a booth at AirVenture. The booth is #618 and will be in the North Aircraft Display. I'll be bringing the aircraft to show what has been completed and new Tsunami wear. If you attend the event, please come by and check out the project!

Leave a comment:

• Race5
    replied

Originally posted by LittleJR View Post
    I remember hearing that story a long time ago. I think that might have been up in St Cloud as well. The scoop was found by a farmer in his field and he returned it.

Do you know what year that was? I'll sift through some photos and see if I can find some. My Mother was a pack rat and loved to take pictures, so I'm sure I have one.
    I'm not sure of the year, but I can find out.

Leave a comment:

• LittleJR
    replied

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
    Do you happen to have any pics of the carnage when Skip blew the whole scoop / doghouse off of it in another speed test?
    I remember hearing that story a long time ago. I think that might have been up in St Cloud as well. The scoop was found by a farmer in his field and he returned it.

Do you know what year that was? I'll sift through some photos and see if I can find some. My Mother was a pack rat and loved to take pictures, so I'm sure I have one.

Leave a comment:

• LittleJR
    replied

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    Hey LittleJR... I see a good story teller in your writings... Please promise us to keep a journal of the build (you're doin' a pretty good job already) and keep the thought in mind that a book about the original build with stories from those who built and flew her would be a great thing.

I think you have the writing skills to make something like that happen...

Thanks for the compliment. I do keep a journal, but get lazy with it now and again.

I've definitely thought about writing a book. Although that would be an enormous project to take on at this point in time. I'll do my best to keep everything logged, so in the future I will be able to put one together. I think Tsunami's story and the large amount of people that dedicated their life to the project is more important than the rebuild itself and I hope I can honor them someday by telling it.

Leave a comment:

• Race5
    replied

Do you happen to have any pics of the carnage when Skip blew the whole scoop / doghouse off of it in another speed test?

Leave a comment:

• AAFO_WSagar
    replied

Originally posted by LittleJR View Post
    It's been awhile since I gave you guys an update...
    Hey LittleJR... I see a good story teller in your writings... Please promise us to keep a journal of the build (you're doin' a pretty good job already) and keep the thought in mind that a book about the original build with stories from those who built and flew her would be a great thing.

I think you have the writing skills to make something like that happen...

Leave a comment:

• FlyKidChris
    replied

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
    Exactly my thoughts.
    Wow, Holy s@#&t!!! Skip earned his stripes/pay/rep that day!

Leave a comment:

• Lockheed Bob
    replied

That shows the kind of pilot "Skip" is. Those test pilots are a certain breed. I still think he would have won the Gold in another year or two in Tsunami.

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied

Originally posted by gp70442 View Post
    Holy Crap!
    Exactly my thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• gp70442
    replied

Holy Crap!

Leave a comment:

• LittleJR
    replied

It's been awhile since I gave you guys an update...

I just got back from a long weekend in California. On saturday I went to the Planes of Fame Air-show. The flying was amazing and just being in that atmosphere was inspiring. It gave me a little kick in the butt and I can't wait to start working on the plane again. During the show I was able to meet some of the original Tsunami crew and got the chance to talk to Brian Sanders and Steve Jr. You could see it in their eyes how special the plane really was to them.

On Sunday I drove up to Calabasas and had lunch with Tsunami pilot Skip Holm. It was incredible listening to the stories he had with my Grandpa and some extremely close calls he had in Tsunami. Skip was very supportive of the project and is going to do what he can to get the aircraft completed.

One story he told me about was when they were doing flutter tests up in St Cloud, MN a month before Reno 91. Skip said he would go to about 10,000' roll inverted, dive straight down and push the throttle full. When he got to 600 + knots he would release the controls and hit the stick as hard as he could to get the plane to vibrate. He was doing this all day until the last time the right elevator ripped off the plane and the left one broke along with the 1 1/2" actuator rod. At that point he was barreling straight down starring at a corn field. He radioed Jack and told him his situation, Jack told him to get out. The canopy wouldn't open and the trim wouldn't respond.

All Skip could think about was his fathers farm and how pissed he would be if someone crashed in his field. Emergency vehicles would be scaling every inch trying to find him while plowing down all of the crops and destroying the harvest.

Finally he got the electric trim to work and was able to pull out twenty feet above the field. Jack got back on the radio and insisted that he jump out and that it was only an airplane. Skip radioed the tower and declared an emergency landing, Immediately Jack radioed the tower from the ground "39JR bailing out 2 miles south of the field" the tower said "who is bailing out and who is landing?" Skip responded "the guy in the airplane is landing"

Skip was able to land the aircraft safely, but Jack was pissed. He screamed a little, jumped in his MU2 and left Skip stranded at the airport for 7 hours before coming back to get him.
    Last edited by LittleJR; 08-03-2011, 02:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Skyracer
    replied

Here's a link to Castle Metals. They have the Transtar catalog online; http://www.transtarmetals.com/zcSite...lic/index.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X