• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BuckyD
    replied
    Re: Tsunami construction photos

Hi John-

Just f/ref.- Tiernay Metals was taken over by Trans-Star Metals some years ago & then a couple years ago was bought by Castle Metals & is still the mfg. source for aerospace aluminum extrustions. I've dealt w/the Kent, Wa. branch thru all the company transitions for both my job at the seaplane airline & f/the lengthy & complicated Grumman Goose restoration I've been ramrodding & they are an expert & invaluable resource w/great service. The previous contact ref. was a good one & here 'tis again:

Castle Metals Aerospace
    20826 68th Avenue South
    Kent, Wa. 98032
    1-800-421-1133 / Fax: (253-854-7401

Ask for- Heidi Frederick / Sales Dept.

The orig. Tiernay & later Trans-Star product catalogs are prized refs. for extrusion profiles, shapes, dimensional specs. & part numbers (especially the Tiernay catalog, which includes most of the vintage Alcoa & Kaiser Aluminum Co. die numbers).

DBD

Leave a comment:

• LittleJR
    replied

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
    If it were me, I wouldn't dare make a change in construction like that without consulting a few qualified engineers.
    Ha...That's why I'm asking you guys. I ask dumb questions, and you protect me from making stupid mistakes.

Leave a comment:

• Race5
    replied

Originally posted by LittleJR View Post
    I took a few pictures of the longerons today and wanted to see what you guys think.

The original longerons consist of two 7075 angle 3x1 1/2x 3/16 riveted together by a 3x3/16 plate. If I was to replace the original with an extruded channel (same dimensions)...would they have a similar strength?
    If it were me, I wouldn't dare make a change in construction like that without consulting a few qualified engineers.

Leave a comment:

• kiwiracefan
    replied

Little JR, this is an amazing thread.. The pics of the Longerons show the detail and thought that went into building Tsunami...

Leave a comment:

• LittleJR
    replied

I took a few pictures of the longerons today and wanted to see what you guys think.

The original longerons consist of two 7075 angle 3x1 1/2x 3/16 riveted together by a 3x3/16 plate. If I was to replace the original with an extruded channel (same dimensions)...would they have a similar strength?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• LittleJR
    replied

I'm not familiar with the mustangs material, but yeah it's 7075 angle.

Thanks Box A35,

I actually tried calling Castle Metals this morning, their parent company. However they have not got back to me, so I left Transtar a message as well. Hopefully they can find it.

Leave a comment:

• Randy Haskin
    replied

A question for all the builders out there.

I want to start building Tsunami's longerons, but I can't find the material stocked anywhere. I am looking for 7075 T6 ANGLE 3"x3"x3/16 and they have to be a minimum of 10' long. Does anyone know where to find it? Or do I have to special order the material?
    Is that what the longerons were made of? Not extrusions like in the Mustang?

Leave a comment:

• Box A35
    replied

I called a neighbor of mine who used to work at Boeing in Seattle. He said the supplier below would likely have that.

Transtar Metals‎
    20826 68th Avenue South, Kent, WA 98032-2303
    (425) 251-8550‎

Leave a comment:

• LittleJR
    replied

A question for all the builders out there.

I want to start building Tsunami's longerons, but I can't find the material stocked anywhere. I am looking for 7075 T6 ANGLE 3"x3"x3/16 and they have to be a minimum of 10' long. Does anyone know where to find it? Or do I have to special order the material?

Leave a comment:

• Race 29
    replied

I'll third that H*ll yeah! Just as long as Jessie James isn't involved!

Leave a comment:

• 3dWrightBrother
    replied

Second that H*ll Yes-

Leave a comment:

• ebutner
    replied

Would we be interested?..... Well h#ll yes we would!

So my friends father is a television producer. He pitched me an idea for a show that he wants to bring to the networks. The concept is to follow the building of Tsunami, getting her to Reno in 2011 and finally going after the speed record.

I would like to hear your input on the concept? Would people be interested in watching it? Do you have any other ideas for the direction of a show?

I look forward to the feedback,

John Bjornstad

Leave a comment:

• BEARCLAW777
    replied

i would watch it i am a huge tsunami fan in fact the pale got me in to air racing and i haven't looked back i would love to see the rebuild process

Leave a comment:

• LittleJR
    replied

So my friends father is a television producer. He pitched me an idea for a show that he wants to bring to the networks. The concept is to follow the building of Tsunami, getting her to Reno in 2011 and finally going after the speed record.

I would like to hear your input on the concept? Would people be interested in watching it? Do you have any other ideas for the direction of a show?

I look forward to the feedback,

John Bjornstad

Leave a comment:

• ebutner
    replied

Got shirts and a pin today!!!! Happy supporter I am.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X