Dead stick take off : )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dead stick take off : )

oh no, you said the word flame now its for sure going to get deleted..
    CFI/CFII/MEI
    www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
    www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Originally posted by Inverted View Post
      oh no, you said the word flame now its for sure going to get deleted..
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by wyhdah View Post
        Wow this thread really brought out the lurkers. I like it. I am a bit surprised Wayner let it live, it is the closest thing to a flame fest I have seen on here.

Pretty good discussion. And just for the record I think flying high speed aircraft to IMC minimums is dangerous.

It is, just don't let the traveling public know!

Comment

hanggliding action with flo orley 3000 meter above sea level in switzerland, in front of the famous mountains eiger, monch and jungfrau.

buy that ole' boy a hangglider

Comment

oops posted it twice. maybe I should post Hoover's video here.
            Last edited by stray07; 07-09-2009, 08:39 PM. Reason: duplicate

Comment

It is strange how different people view danger in various sports.

I fly hang gliders and consider them reasonably safe. After 12 years of flying my worst injury was a grazed knee and a few pecks from magpies and eagles.
              I was at the Isle of Man TT race (which I consider very dangerous) and one of the riders stated in an interview, "Well it is dangerous, but compared with hang gliding I guess it is safe".
              I consider air racing at Reno very dangerous but I can see that if you are as careful as possible then the rewards are definately worthwhile. As an air racing fan I am glad there are people willing to push the limits.

My main point is that it is better to live life full filling your dreams than simply surviving life and then looking back and wishing that you had tried an activity when it is too late.

Over in New Zealand they push helicopters down similar steep slopes as it is the only way to get airbourne at high altitude.

Comment

"It is strange how different people view danger in various sports"

When I would tell someone I flew sailplanes, the usual reaction was a wide eyed "you fly without an engine? How dangerous" It's all in the perception. One person's fear is another person's thrill is another person's daily routine. Would I try this? Hell no, it is way beyond my abilities. Obviously it is not beyond his. When it gets deadly dangerous is when you push it so far beyond your abilities you can not salvage the situation when variables change it. That goes for flying, air racing, test piloting and driving home from the Quickie Mart.
                I once watched a pilot get towed out of an incredibly small field he had landed in (granted the off airport landing was caused by a couple of not-so-good decisions and gambles on lift on his part). Everyone told him it was too dangerous. He found a tow pilot that said he could get in and out and was willing to try. They did it with room to spare BUT a lot of planning went into it to be sure they could and it was well within their abilities as pilots. The only motivation was to get the glider home without having the work of disassemby!
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Ya know, that's about the best Hang Gliding Scenery I could imagine.....I bet it's quite a thrill to soar like a bird... in the Alps.... no less....

But I had this old Aeronautical Engineering Professor, John Nicholaides...., and he had some realy good advice...the kind of advice that sees a fella thru life....and he said "Boys, Don't Ever get onto something that wants to crash when you let go the controls..."....
                  And that meant Hang Gliders, Ultra Lights, Helicopters,.....etc....

And I guess he was right .....cuz I seen all kinda funny stuff...."fall" out of the air....a cable or strut breaks....some fabric rips...... superstructure collapse....., and still I didn't take his advise until...I crashed or was in the crashes of two helicopters, and survived........That's when I started Listening.....and by the way.....NO more Helicopter rides for me!

And that Dude in his unpowered flight....is the BomB!

So yeah, that looks like a lotta fun.....and I hope they get the footage when he goes in....sorry dude!

Me.... I'll remember the smooth flights OVER the Alps .... in my Pop's DC-7! Maybe not quite as beautiful, but heck...we had Stews....serving drinks.....
                  Last edited by BUD_XXX; 07-10-2009, 04:30 PM.

Comment

And Sailplanes.....were a lot of fun...for me as a teenager....until I landed short at Antioch....took out a fence....

SO heck yeah, give me Lycoming...anytime...

Comment

I can see a time when we will be racing full size unlimited aircraft by remote control but with auto pilots built in to handle trickey situations not visible to the pilot.
                      As long as spectators are kept safe , we can really push the envelope.

This would also help develop instruments to reduce the chance of collisions.

With no onboard pilots to worry about , we can have really elaborate courses , with no G force blackouts to worry about.
                      How about 4 up simultaneously around a Red Bull style course.

For people like me who like to see novel designs this could be really exciting and costs would be a lot lower, allowing more privateer teams. A standard electronics package could be made available to simplify the task.
                      People could go back to car engines without the risks. I would be curious what designs would win. Hopefully we will see more twins.

Comment

The day that full size air racing becomes "radio controlled", is the day that my interest is lost. Don't get me wrong, i am an avid r/c modeler myself, but what makes air racing so alluring for me is the "human element" and the confines and restrictions that come with it. The feats of machines themselves isn't so impressive as the feats of humans and what they can handle and endure!
                        Last edited by t-dub; 07-13-2009, 08:32 AM.
                        "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

I think I've accidentally entered the new Science Fiction section...

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr View Post
                            I think I've accidentally entered the new Science Fiction section...
                            LOL! You're right, this thread has veered a little off track........ I think it started with the human risk factor thing.......
                            "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

And the military jet team will be the "Thunderchickens" flying RPV's from a bunker half a world away!
                              Last edited by Skyracer; 07-13-2009, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BUD_XXX View Post
                                And Sailplanes.....were a lot of fun...for me as a teenager....until I landed short at Antioch....took out a fence....

SO heck yeah, give me Lycoming...anytime...
                                I miss the old Antioch airport.
                                CFI/CFII/MEI
                                www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
                                www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Working...
                                X