Dead stick take off : )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dead stick take off : )

I see all the comments here about this "STUNT", and not being a pilot I really don't know about the sanity of this individual although my uneducated feeling is that he won't be with us much longer.

The thing I would like to comment on is the idiot rolling that boulder down the hill and over the side to demonstrate how steep it was. There are people hiking all over these canyons now a days and when someone is so stupid as to roll a boulder off the side of a canyon without event looking is just criminal. This could kill people. This is as irresponsible as it gets.

Comment

of course he is trying to impress, he is a highlander dealer and if you go and watch his other videos he flies off of the same mountain all the time. take off and land a hundred times so he was familiar with the terrain and the aircrafts performance, i dont see the problem its not like his engine was going to quit. again dont pass judgment cause someone could be judging you.low fast left

Comment

Originally posted by dvddude View Post
        There is a HUGE difference between Reno Air Racing and what that guy is doing. First off, there are VERY high standards for being a race pilot, as there are checkouts, briefings, PRS, etc. In addition, a lot of people have "perfected" Reno air racing to greatly mitigate the risk over the last 45 years. Yes, accidents do happen from time to time, but it is a professional endeavor, with professional training and checkouts done in a very methodical, meticulous, professional manner with great attention to detail. Reno Air Race pilots are not some barely private or possibly sport pilot as this guy seems to be out "freelancing" something for the first time with no training. I wonder how much research and analysis that guy did to determine if it was safe to do what he did. He sure didn't give the impression that he put much thought into what he was doing. From his videos and his comments on the youtube link, he gives the impression that he's some wild cowboy pilot just doing some "ass-shining" for fun. Is that the way a professional pilot acts when operating so close to the edge of the envelope? Do Reno air race pilots act in the same mentality and attitude? THAT is the difference.

If there is "nobody to impress", then why is he filming it and putting it on one of the most heavily trafficked video sites in the world for everyone to see? Obviously he IS trying to impress. If he didn't, then he would keep the video to himself.

Well buddy, there are those that could say that flying a 65 year old fighter at 410 kts with the engine at 225% power just for an ass shining would be the height of irresponsibility. Get real.

Comment

You know, everyone here has an opinion on everything; and they are all welcomed.

Yeah, what this guy does takes a lot of balls, isn't the brightest idea, but damn its cool! Jumping a motorcycle over 100 feet and letting go of the handle bars to impress a croud is pretty damn stupid too, but damn its cool. People who do these types of "stunts" (if thats what you wanna call them) all know the danger involved if something goes wrong. They all know that they can be killed doing this. Hell, I could be killed walking to my truck to go to work too.

The fact is, they know what can happen, they accept it, and continue to push the limits for all of us to enjoy. If you don't agree with it, thats okay, if you think its awesome, thats okay too.

We need to remember that everyone has an opinion and we should't blast anyone for having one; whether we agree with it or not!
          "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

There is a HUGE difference between Reno Air Racing and what that guy is doing. First off, there are VERY high standards for being a race pilot, as there are checkouts, briefings, PRS, etc. In addition, a lot of people have "perfected" Reno air racing to greatly mitigate the risk over the last 45 years. Yes, accidents do happen from time to time, but it is a professional endeavor, with professional training and checkouts done in a very methodical, meticulous, professional manner with great attention to detail. Reno Air Race pilots are not some barely private or possibly sport pilot as this guy seems to be out "freelancing" something for the first time with no training. I wonder how much research and analysis that guy did to determine if it was safe to do what he did. He sure didn't give the impression that he put much thought into what he was doing. From his videos and his comments on the youtube link, he gives the impression that he's some wild cowboy pilot just doing some "ass-shining" for fun. Is that the way a professional pilot acts when operating so close to the edge of the envelope? Do Reno air race pilots act in the same mentality and attitude? THAT is the difference.

If there is "nobody to impress", then why is he filming it and putting it on one of the most heavily trafficked video sites in the world for everyone to see? Obviously he IS trying to impress. If he didn't, then he would keep the video to himself.
            Buddy take a look at some of the history of these air race pilots, they perfected air racing by taking risks and pushing the envelope. If we could go back in time would you tell the Wright brothers to knock it off, and call them idiots?
            CFI/CFII/MEI
            www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
            www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr View Post
              Well buddy, there are those that could say that flying a 65 year old fighter at 410 kts with the engine at 225% power just for an ass shining would be the height of irresponsibility. Get real.
              Nope, no comparison whatsoever. Those are two totally different things. I don't have a problem with "flying a 65 year old fighter at 410 kts with the engine at 225% power ". You apparently haven't even read what I mentioned above. The person doing that flying has: 1) extensive experience that has been tested by peers and checkrides, 2) lots of opportunity for an "escape route" - something that youtube pilot doesn't necessarily have.

Here are the two worst possible scenarios for a Reno Air Race pilot -1) encountering someone's wake turbulence in an upset event and 2) a total engine seizure on the course. New rookie pilots are extensively tested and put in wake turbulence "upsets". That is a requirement prior to being checked out in PRS. So, if they encounter that situation, they know how to react. Regarding the total engine seizure - that is usually not a problem at all, unless you have a Red Baron scenario like Steve Hinton had where the blades go to flat pitch and you have a tremendous amount of drag. I don't know that that is even a concern anymore. Are there any racers out there flying with engines that act like that anymore? For a total engine seizure, it's a fairly easy to deal with situation. For the extreme speeds the Unlimiteds are going, it is fairly easy to trade kinetic for potential energy and set up for a deadstick landing. For the experience level of those involved, that's not really a huge deal - very simple to deal with. The real killer is being low and slow - something Unlimiteds are NEVER doing except on takeoff and landing.

Look, I appreciate everyone's opinion, and I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong, as everyone is entitled to an opinion. But, I wonder how many of you who are so vocal, are experienced pilots? I would think an experienced pilot would have slightly more credibility than a non-experienced or "green" pilot. I have been flying for over 32 years and have in excess of 12,000 hours of flight time. In my opinion, that is still a stupid stunt. Yes, it looks cool, yes, it makes a fantastic youtube video, but in my opinion, that pilot is an accident waiting to happen.

I would love to hear any other experienced pilots' opinions of this stunt. Maybe, I'm just too conservative in my old age. I've seen way too many of my friends die in flying accident doing stupid things. That's why I have the opinion that I do. It's only because I care about pilots living to see another day of flying.

Comment

Originally posted by Inverted View Post
                Buddy take a look at some of the history of these air race pilots, they perfected air racing by taking risks and pushing the envelope. If we could go back in time would you tell the Wright brothers to knock it off, and call them idiots?
                And that's exactly why we don't need to re-invent the wheel twice. Over the last 106 years, pilots have paid the ultimate price with their lives doing stupid things, so others don't have to. We are talking about a stupid stunt done in modern times, not something that was done in the early 20th century.

Comment

I think he flew the plane well.

Comment

ill take this guy over any rule pushing flight instructor any day. most of the people that you say paid the ultimate price were these exact people.in todays world most new pilots arent taught ****,I know i used to get a new batch of fo`s every six months in alaska and most couldnt fly there way out of a paper bag,there prob was they thought they knew more than they did, you can not replace experience,and pushing your own personal limits with book work and rules.try flying a mile in someone elses wings and you might learn something.

Comment

This has been fun to follow. I guess my opinion follows my risk nothing, gain nothing attitude towards a lot of things. The only really stupid thing I've seen so far is the guy pushing the rock off the side of the mountain.

LP

Comment

I sat here and read everyone's posts before watching this video, and all I can say is "WTF!" I don't see what the big deal is, that didn't seem all that bad! That was nothing more than a glorified hang glide! The Highlander obviously has a good glide ratio, and if you look at the area where he lands, you can see tire roll-out marks where he had landed before. Chances are, it has been calculated and practiced. And i'll bet money that he is an experienced pilot. It looks like a pretty remote area, so chances of other people getting injured are slim. Now the rock on the other hand WAS stupid, as it's just an errantly rolled uncontrollable projectile, with no regard as to what, where, when, and how it hits anything, living or not. As for comparing this to the air racing? Ladies and Gentlemen, You're comparing apples to oranges............
                        "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Nope, no comparison whatsoever. Those are two totally different things. I don't have a problem with "flying a 65 year old fighter at 410 kts with the engine at 225% power ". You apparently haven't even read what I mentioned above. The person doing that flying has: 1) extensive experience that has been tested by peers and checkrides, 2) lots of opportunity for an "escape route" - something that youtube pilot doesn't necessarily have.

Here are the two worst possible scenarios for a Reno Air Race pilot -1) encountering someone's wake turbulence in an upset event and 2) a total engine seizure on the course. New rookie pilots are extensively tested and put in wake turbulence "upsets". That is a requirement prior to being checked out in PRS. So, if they encounter that situation, they know how to react. Regarding the total engine seizure - that is usually not a problem at all, unless you have a Red Baron scenario like Steve Hinton had where the blades go to flat pitch and you have a tremendous amount of drag. I don't know that that is even a concern anymore. Are there any racers out there flying with engines that act like that anymore? For a total engine seizure, it's a fairly easy to deal with situation. For the extreme speeds the Unlimiteds are going, it is fairly easy to trade kinetic for potential energy and set up for a deadstick landing. For the experience level of those involved, that's not really a huge deal - very simple to deal with. The real killer is being low and slow - something Unlimiteds are NEVER doing except on takeoff and landing.

Look, I appreciate everyone's opinion, and I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong, as everyone is entitled to an opinion. But, I wonder how many of you who are so vocal, are experienced pilots? I would think an experienced pilot would have slightly more credibility than a non-experienced or "green" pilot. I have been flying for over 32 years and have in excess of 12,000 hours of flight time. In my opinion, that is still a stupid stunt. Yes, it looks cool, yes, it makes a fantastic youtube video, but in my opinion, that pilot is an accident waiting to happen.

I would love to hear any other experienced pilots' opinions of this stunt. Maybe, I'm just too conservative in my old age. I've seen way too many of my friends die in flying accident doing stupid things. That's why I have the opinion that I do. It's only because I care about pilots living to see another day of flying.

You write a lot of words, but the same thing comes to my airline Captain mind. It's cool, he is a good stick, he knows what he is doing (selling airplanes, evidently, just like Tex Johnston did in the 707) and it's outside of your comfort zone so you think it is stupid. (What's funny is all of the tire tracks on his landing site, he obviously had done it many times). That's cool, just stop writing so many words about tests, procedures, checkrides and all of the stuff that makes aviation NOT fun, and consider the joys of slipping a Luscombe into a grass field without having to ask a person that couldn't taxi it for permission to do so.
                          Just because you wouldn't do it doesn't mean he can't. Have you ever seen that mountain cliffside airport in some European Alps that is SO SCARY to look at and the place has airliners flying innocent paying passengers there? Life has experiences that maybe don't meet your comfort zone, you might not like to do it, but it's just your opinion, Dude. It's no better than mine. A guy told me once, "The guy that says it can't be done should not get in the way of the guy doing it." I think it is appropriate here. I don't fly the bush, don't like the odds and prefer to fly jets with air conditioning. Doesn't mean I'm out there against bush flying.

Also, you come off against this guy as if YouTube is an indictment against the pilot for being stupid and untalented. It looks like he is as good a stick and rudder guy as I would want to see doing low airspeed maneuvering. Nice and easy, coordinated and he puts it where he wants it without even a slip. He looks good to me...

Comment

I miss Tin Man

Comment

Stuntflyr, you hit the nail on the head. What the heck, any time you take off its an accident waiting to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by f1-69 View Post
                                ill take this guy over any rule pushing flight instructor any day. most of the people that you say paid the ultimate price were these exact people.in todays world most new pilots arent taught ****,I know i used to get a new batch of fo`s every six months in alaska and most couldnt fly there way out of a paper bag,there prob was they thought they knew more than they did, you can not replace experience,and pushing your own personal limits with book work and rules.try flying a mile in someone elses wings and you might learn something.
                                I have "flown a mile in someone else's wings" before both as an instructor as well as a Captain. I have flown with co-pilots before in that exact same scenario that you mention. I have broken rules and "expanded" inexperienced pilots' limits because the rules were too restrictive and in my opinion hampered knowing one's limits and how to get out of "bad situations".

But, there is a time and a place for that. Rolling off a cliff with no engine and gliding to safety is quite another matter and still dangerous and not worth the risk. This whole argument is about risk vs. reward. In my opinion, the reward is not worth the risk. What does the youtube pilot learn from rolling off the cliff with no engine that he couldn't learn elsewhere? Is the risk worth the reward?

BTW, I am in 100% agreement with you. Today's pilots are not taught many of the survival skills necessary for flying. Spin and upset training is unfortunately a casualty of that mindset.

Comment

Working...
                                X