Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jesse James learning to race!!!

Well he will have to pass PRS...
    If he does then may be it will be a good thing.

How much flying time does he have?
    In what type of aircraft?

One other question: Has any other pilot ever been able to get training on the course at Reno other than during PRS or did I get something wrong I thought he was going to go around some pylons???
    http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
      I hate to show my age and ignorance here, but who is Jesse James? I've never heard of the guy...
      Come on Neal, he robbed banks with his brother, you were a kid back then right??

Comment

Well said,"Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne, i totally agree.... it may need someone who is a major celebrity like the jesse james or (gulP) paris hiltons of the world to get people into the sport... I know that i first watched action from reno in 1995 or 96 on sky tv here in NZ when they had ESPN's coverage of the races and it got me hooked.
          Yes jesse James has a past, everyone does.. just cos he is covered in tattoos and built motorcycles and cars on tv doesnt mean that the exposure is negative... hell if the guy loves it and says so on his tv show there are millions of people who watch his programs cos of who HE is...
          and to point other posts out what about the tom cruises etc of the world who are major stars and are aviation nuts... him John travolta are two who come to mind off the top of the head.. yes we may not agree with their beliefs etc but by them buying & flying warbirds etc they are keepin OUR aviation HISTORY alive and kicking... I know for one i support this move by RARA to try and expand the audiences... heck i know lots of people in NZ who are motorsport nuts yet they have never heard of the NCAR and reno... i show them clips on the likes of youtube and they are likw holy cow i like this!

my rant is now complete
          race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams View Post
            Come on Neal, he robbed banks with his brother, you were a kid back then right??
            come on Neal - you can't let that stand
            Mark K....

Comment

Wayne is exactly right. The same people on this threads wishing Air Racing would get more attention are the same ones complaining. How could you possibly grab national or international attention by appealing only to one demographic??? Its impossible. I welcome anyone and everyone to grab some racing spotlight, if it brings more fans I am all for it. Too many race fans consider reno more a secluded huddle more than welcome all racing, which is hurting the sport.
              CFI/CFII/MEI
              www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
              www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Last year I sat down and started talking to the guys next to me. Finally traded names and the one gentlemans name was Jesse James......in choking with him, I asked any relationship to the Jesse James on TV and the reply was "yes" he's my nephew. The other guy was his father and a couple days later a couple of cousins showed up too. All a bunch of very nice guys and they come to the air races every year. Maybe they'll read this and can add some comments themselves. I do know that right after the races last year Jesse's father was going in the hospital I believe for some tests.....I do hope everything turned out well......Looking forward to seeing them this year at the races.

As far as Jesse James doing a TV show on the Air Races, I hope it will be a positive thing for the sport. I envy Jesse's mechanical skills and his metal fabrication expertise. Can do without the tattos, but to each his own, as long as it doesn't hurt someone else.
                Brian
                Last edited by supercub; 02-20-2009, 08:24 PM.

Comment

as far as I know RARA still requires a pilots license..

Originally posted by Victor Archer View Post
                  Well he will have to pass PRS...
                  If he does then may be it will be a good thing.

How much flying time does he have?
                  In what type of aircraft?

One other question: Has any other pilot ever been able to get training on the course at Reno other than during PRS or did I get something wrong I thought he was going to go around some pylons???
                  I think it would be hard to get through PRS without it...I'll see in a few months though...

Comment

Mr. Wayners made a good point,

If you don't think that many people, a number of whom we talk about here don't pay this site a visit and read what is being discussed here you are very wrong. Yesterday while I was at Stead, someone asked me about my condition and if I was feeling better, and I knew that this had been the only public place that I had said anything about my health. It's proof enough to me that 'others' do stop by and read up on what we all discuss here. I personally hope that if Jesse James happens to read any of this that he'll take it with a grain of salt and realize that not everyone here is a 'hater'. I wish him the best, and I'm pretty darn thankful that he's shown an interest in the sport that most of us dearly love.

Peace and joy to all...

LP

Comment

Re: as far as I know RARA still requires a pilots license..

Originally posted by JET1 View Post
                      I think it would be hard to get through PRS without it...I'll see in a few months though...
                      I think some of us have mis-read the original post, regarding whether Jessie was trying to actually race, or, is he just getting an "up close and personal" "media" dip on the course with one or more of the racers, backing up a probable interview with same, about what it is they (the racers) do here.

It's significant that things that happen only at RENO are getting a closer look, maybe, even.. we'll see others celebrating this country's Air Racing past, and its significance with events of today...

Anyway.... Regarding the first thought..

I'm thinking, it was the "up close and.." side of it that is reality.
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                        Last year I sat down and started talking to the guys next to me. Finally traded names and the one gentlemans name was Jesse James...... Joking with him, I asked any relationship to the Jesse James on TV and the reply was "yes" he's my nephew. The other guy was his father and a couple days later a couple of cousins showed up too. All a bunch of very nice guys and they come to the air races every year. Maybe they'll read this and can add some comments themselves. I do know that right after the races last year Jesse's father was going in the hospital I believe for some tests.....I do hope everything turned out well......Looking forward to seeing them this year at the races.

As far as Jesse James doing a TV show on the Air Races, I hope it will be a positive thing for the sport. I envy Jesse's mechanical skills and his metal fabrication expertise. Can do without the tattos, but to each his own, as long as it doesn't hurt someone else.
                        Brian
                        Tried to correct an error in the above posting and I ended up double posting..........stupid computers..........or maybe it's the operator........naw, it's the computer
                        QUOTE=supercub;68719]Last year I sat down and started talking to the guys next to me. Finally traded names and the one gentlemans name was Jesse James...... Joking with him, I asked any relationship to the Jesse James on TV and the reply was "yes" he's my nephew. The other guy was his father and a couple days later a couple of cousins showed up too. All a bunch of very nice guys and they come to the air races every year. Maybe they'll read this and can add some comments themselves. I do know that right after the races last year Jesse's father was going in the hospital I believe for some tests.....I do hope everything turned out well......Looking forward to seeing them this year at the races.

Brian[/QUOTE]

Tried to correct the above posting, and ended up double posting.....stupid computers............or maybe it's the operator........naw, it's the computer LOL Sorry about the mess
                        Last edited by supercub; 02-20-2009, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Hello all if any of you guys have ever watched jessies shows he is a true craftsman that is respected everywere he goes,I feel he would help the sport not hurt it,he brings alot to the table and transends many walks of life,everything I have seen him do he himself does with his own two hands,and god help you if you challange him and don't have the balls or the know how to back it up, he can do almost anything and doesen't have to throw $$$$$ at do to lack of smarts,just to give it the bitchen factor yeha that he will empty his wallet.My self I would like to see Jimmy shine from So-Cal speed and jessie James start a raceteam and bring the big bucks from discovery channel with them that would be a show I would watch,have the boys get help from many oldschool plane guys and rework a plane for reno what a shot in the arm and maybe even save a plane or 2,Mr james's presance is a goldopertunaty if we don't embarasse are selfs

Comment

h34race makes good points,

Does anyone know anybody connected with Discovery Networks? Like the auto restoration projects that they've done, the same thing could be done for air racer. Pimp my P-51 may not really be that far off the mark. I can see the opportunity now a little better than a few days ago.

Time for some phone calls, and emails, and letters...do people even send paper letters anymore?

LP

Comment

Originally posted by MMPerk View Post
                              Pimp my P-51 may not really be that far off the mark. I can see the opportunity now a little better than a few days ago.
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

So if you sent Sparkly to Pimp my P-51 it would come back all chopped and channeled, slick turtle deck, clipped... No, wait... Lear jet wings yeah that's it, hot Strega/Dago style race motor and a totally bitchen hot rod style paint job... Oh yeah fuzzy dice hanging from the gun site?? Huh huh... That would be SICK!!!! DUDE!!!
                                http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                                http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Working...
                                X