X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some qual. times are up!

Originally posted by grampi
    What kind of problems is Bear having?
    It's 1027 Tuesday morning and as of the minute, after two runs, the prop is coming back off. The prop will not cycle. They are not out of this yet, Confidence is remains high.

LP

Comment

Not the best news today.
      Depending on if the issue is in the governor or the prop itself, I wonder if the 3-blader is looking tempting while hanging on the wall?
      Last edited by glider90; 09-09-2008, 10:56 AM.

Comment

I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh.
        CFI/CFII/MEI
        www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
        www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

the FAA is requiring that they fly off 2.5 hrs successfully before they will be allowed to race..
          Is that BEFORE they can qualify? Can they go out and run a quali on Wednesday morning and then fly it off in the evening?
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
            Is that BEFORE they can qualify? Can they go out and run a quali on Wednesday morning and then fly it off in the evening?

I think it is before they can race.
            Red
            chanting...400+

Comment

I'm sure if they required 5 hours it would be much safer

Comment

Since there are less than a full field of 27, do they *need* to qualify? There are only 24 planes on the field this year. If the field is full you must get in by qualifying. With a partial field, I recall that Strega once raced it's way up through the madallion starting on Thursday?

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr
                  I'm sure if they required 5 hours it would be much safer
                  Why?
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I think thats called sarcasm.
                    Red
                    chanting...400+

Comment

Originally posted by Red
                      I think thats called sarcasm.
                      I missed the humor and it had me curious why anyone would think that, since it's extremely rare that the Rare Bear would fly even a complete hour in a given year..

Their test flights are usually short, right above the field and again, usually few and far between.

It's a racer, not a x country flyer. It's prepared for a high speed burst for a relatively short period of time, above the airport. Adding five hours to the clock would, likely, remove from reliability rather than improve it.

It this was sarcasm, cool.....

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Consider it "super sarcasm".
                        Now that Clarence has been replaced by new feds, I think they don't know what to do with the "safety' aspect. The 2.5 hour "rule" seems as arbitrary as 5, or 10 for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                          It's a racer, not a x country flyer. It's prepared for a high speed burst for a relatively short period of time, above the airport. Adding five hours to the clock would, likely, remove from reliability rather than improve it.
                          Adding time flying in circles for that airplane/engine combination wont do anything to hurt it's reliability. It would probably enjoy a good bug shake out. In reality that airplane does not like to sit. It set the 3KM after ferrying from Van Nuys to Las Vegas New Mexico. The leak down after the ferry flight to Las Vegas was better than the one before it left. And the one after the record was better than the one from before the ferry flight. My point the flight time wont hurt that engine, not at all, might even reseat the rings better.
                          John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
                            Adding time flying in circles for that airplane/engine combination wont do anything to hurt it's reliability. It would probably enjoy a good bug shake out. In reality that airplane does not like to sit. It set the 3KM after ferrying from Van Nuys to Las Vegas New Mexico. The leak down after the ferry flight to Las Vegas was better than the one before it left. And the one after the record was better than the one from before the ferry flight. My point the flight time wont hurt that engine, not at all, might even reseat the rings better.
                            Remember when they flew her to Oshkosh!?!? It was so ODD (and awesome) to see the Bear sitting on Wittman Field.

I'm old
                            _________
                            -Matt
                            Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

I wouldn't doubt what you say a bit, John. I'm sure it likes to move and circulate all of the stuff, and I know it gives the crew a better idea of what all the systems are doing once a little track record is set.

But it's kind of like when "The Class" determined your Dad needed to land a T-6 three times under supervision before he could be safe in the Bearcat that time. Arbitrary!

Comment

Almost as odd (and awesome) as seeing it round the field in tight formation with the Gee Bee racer!

Comment

Working...
                                X