Unlimited Updates???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unlimited Updates???

What a joy...the Bear is all white, and will be sporting some purple really soon...like maybe by the time that I get out there tomorrow.

I do so hope that there will be no engine 'exploding' as we all know the end result of which can be tragic.

More teasing to follow...

LP
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MMPerk; 08-30-2008, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Glad to see the Bear will be 100% for this year.
      CFI/CFII/MEI
      www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
      www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Hey MMPerk or anybody else that can chime in,

Those wheels are not the original Bearcat wheels or even wheels that Rare Bear used to have in older pics that I have seen. Not sure when they switched to these but could someone tell me what aircraft they were originally used on? They look almost like an F-102/106 wheel. I'm doing some research for a model of Rare Bear and would like to know if anyone knows the origin of these wheels. Thanks for any help and I can't wait to see the Bear in a new coat! It would be really awesome to see the big 3 blade prop back on but as I understand it, the 4 blade flies better.

See you in Reno!

Comment

To Wayne or anybody else that might be in the know:

I know that the Bear has been went through with a fine toothed comb a couple of times in a couple of years now. Does anybody have a good list of what has been done? I don't mean like secret go fast stuff, I mean like for instance hydraulic actuators replaced, brakes refurbed, wing spars checked, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Dash
            To Wayne or anybody else that might be in the know:

I know that the Bear has been went through with a fine toothed comb a couple of times in a couple of years now. Does anybody have a good list of what has been done? I don't mean like secret go fast stuff, I mean like for instance hydraulic actuators replaced, brakes refurbed, wing spars checked, etc.

I'm going out there today/this morning, and I'll see if I can't get a rundown on what all has been checked and changed. I know that last year when the Bear was striped down, everything was checked, but I'm not in the know of what all was R & R'd.

I'll know more in a couple of hours or so.

LP

Comment

Originally posted by MMPerk
              I'm going out there today/this morning, and I'll see if I can't get a rundown on what all has been checked and changed. I know that last year when the Bear was striped down, everything was checked, but I'm not in the know of what all was R & R'd.

I'll know more in a couple of hours or so.

LP
              And a purple update?
              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Not to change the current discussion but staying on topic Voodoo is up and running with the green race engine. Bob told me today he plans on putting some time on Voodoo this week. Will has already flown it over the weekend and will fly some more during the week. Lucky Will got to take Voodoo to the Travis air show.

We have a new HD camera to put in the Voodoo during the races. It should give us a great perspective of what it is like to race. We are looking forward to race week.

Dan and Darren

Comment

Thanks for the great update.

I'm getting all tingly inside... 9 days to race day.

Those lucky enough to go for the whole freakin' week ...

Don
                  Go Bear! Go Ruby!
                  Go AAFO BBQ!

Comment

Originally posted by wrbrdmech
                    Hey MMPerk or anybody else that can chime in,

Those wheels are not the original Bearcat wheels or even wheels that Rare Bear used to have in older pics that I have seen. Not sure when they switched to these but could someone tell me what aircraft they were originally used on? They look almost like an F-102/106 wheel. I'm doing some research for a model of Rare Bear and would like to know if anyone knows the origin of these wheels. Thanks for any help and I can't wait to see the Bear in a new coat! It would be really awesome to see the big 3 blade prop back on but as I understand it, the 4 blade flies better.

See you in Reno!
                    A quick update while at lunch.

The wheels and brakes are T-33. The paint is comming along nicely now. There is some detail work left and the engine cowl needs to be painted. Pictures to follow once I get home.

LP

Comment

Thank you for the updates. I don't know how I am going to last through next week. We've got my uncle and cousins coming this year and we are just drooling over the keyboard reading info on whats going on over there. We are very gratefull for your consideration to keep us informed. And thanks again to the board and members.

P.s.
                      Lets all cool off about the Dago comment and start enjoying air racing. I know everybody spouts off once in a while and hopefully they have learned their lesson. They obviously have no idea what goes into building a RACE motor. Let alone how to find or get the parts to make it last. Everybody can talk. And not to be rude but.. It's just their ignorance talking. I respect the work that Sparrow is putting into these motors. They can do it... hopefully the parts are still available to get them there. My hats off to em. GOOD LUCK!!
                      My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

Originally posted by Embdad
                        Not to change the current discussion but staying on topic Voodoo is up and running with the green race engine. Bob told me today he plans on putting some time on Voodoo this week. Will has already flown it over the weekend and will fly some more during the week. Lucky Will got to take Voodoo to the Travis air show.

We have a new HD camera to put in the Voodoo during the races. It should give us a great perspective of what it is like to race. We are looking forward to race week.

Dan and Darren
                        Dan - Thanks for the update. Looking forward to seeing the Purple People Eater rounding the pylons again.

Any word on the Pink Panther motor?
                        Mark Johnson
                        Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Hi All,
                          Dago just flew over Hollister and it never sounded better! Running HOT and fast....just to let you know

Comment

Time to get this thread back on track...

A quickie on the Bear props. Besides beating up the air, the aircraft, and the pilot, the P-3 prop was counter productive to racing around the pylons. The gyro effect of the big heavy prop tended to turn the aircraft away and up when rounding a pylon. Dave explained to me today that the P-3 prop has lots of camber, he related it to a Cub wing. He further explained that when it comes to racing here at Reno, a prop with very little camber is what the Bear wants. Very little camber like that of an F-104 wing. I had asked Dave to explain it to me in terms I could better understand and pass along. He used the comparison of the high camber wing of the Cub to the low camber wing of the F-104. I have a much better understanding now.

As stated earlier, there has been much progress on the painting.

LP
                            Attached Files

Comment

Lonnie,

Thanks for the info on the wheels and the lesson on the P-3 prop. Paint is looking interesting. Thanks for the regular updates. Any word on when they are going to start testing the engine?

Thanks,
                              wrbrdmech

Comment

Originally posted by wrbrdmech
                                Lonnie,

Thanks for the info on the wheels and the lesson on the P-3 prop. Paint is looking interesting. Thanks for the regular updates. Any word on when they are going to start testing the engine?

Thanks,
                                wrbrdmech
                                Really soon on the engine...I suspect that the prop was put on after I left. They are really close, granted they still have their work cut out for them, but they are close. With each visit I can really see the progress.

LP

Comment

Working...
                                X