Easy Dasher.. different Scotty....

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Hard Drive Crash - Verdict Is In $1275.00

Originally posted by chixfly2
      SCOTTY?

blinkblink
      Pull back on that mixture control, easy, easy.................feel better now?

Comment

We can't let this be too big a problem! I'm in for $50. PayPal has been sent. Good luck with solving the problem!
        Gman47

Comment

I'm in for $25 through Paypal - thanks for maintaining a GREAT site! Paul

Comment

Since it's "pay it forward" week up here, I've sent $25 to Team Steadfast, because they helped Wayne even though they don't have much of a bankroll. Wish it was more!

Comment

dineega
              That is AMAZING! Thank you so much! I am beside myself. Just Amazing.

Wayne, I'll buy you one at the pylon bar in September.
              Race 33

Comment

One thing that I have doen in the past with drives that don't spin up is replacing the electronics board on them. I you can get an identical drive you can swap over the circuit board and fire it up. I have had good luck with this in the past, saved my butt on a two occasions.

The other thing that has saved my butt is the old freezing trick. Put the drive in a bag and freeze it for a couple of hours. When it comes out, let it defrost to the point where there is no condensation before taking it out of the bag, then fire it up while still cold. This has also save my but on two occasions, but also not worked on several other occasions.

Unfortunately $1250 is the safer bet, but either of those is another option that could be tried, ... and much cheaper!

Comment

Long time lurker, sometimes poster. Hope this helps.

Comment

Just retired last Friday...this has been a busy week here at home...big party here on Saturday...everyone is invited....my world famous BBQ'd Turkey and Tri-tip with my special seasoning....Hooter's won't let me in his pit if I don't bribe him with seasoning...ha ha!!!!

I chipped in to the fund and am glad to help Wayne!!! .....Going to try and meet you photo geeks this year at Reno...and if anyone needs to borrow my SR101 minolta and my apple II computer to process pics...no problem...!!!!
                    Went Fast, Forgot to Turn Left, Saw God!

Comment

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to total up the donations thus far but I think we're within $100. of getting it covered by you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really don't know how to thank all of you enough, other than to rededicate my efforts annnnnd!!!!!!!!

Our good friend Dave Mueller (http://dbmueller.com/) has just donated two very cool prints of his work.. everyone who donates to the cause will have their name thrown into a hat and we're gonna draw two names..

One lucky GENEROUS person will receive a Cloud Dancer print, the other, a Strega print..

THanks Daver and ALL OF YOU AS WELL!!!!!!!!

Oh I neglected to mention, Daver donated the prints AFTER a donating cash as well!!!!!!!!!!

I love you guys!!!!! Off to Arlington for the big EAA fly-in there tomorrow.. will do my best to get a good report up asap! Hopefully will be getting a story in Pacific Flyer as well....

Bout time us Northlanders got some recognition!!!!!!!

Da Prints!! Both are canvas prints, the Giclee process and they are beautiful!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

Wayne
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I think I just made a donation with the make a donation button. It behaved a bit strangely, so let me know if it doesn't show up Wayne.

Hey if you end up with more than it costs to recover this drive, you might want to consider investing in a mirrored raid array.
                        Bill Garnett
                        InterstellarDust
                        Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Originally posted by Bill@Interstell
                          I think I just made a donation with the make a donation button. It behaved a bit strangely, so let me know if it doesn't show up Wayne.

Hey if you end up with more than it costs to recover this drive, you might want to consider investing in a mirrored raid array.
                          Howdy Garnett. Long time since no c u. Ah...last Sept. See u soon. 60 or so days. Seghetti (this is not a hijack)

Comment

Wow, bad news, right after your fried your board, too. My Laptop drive just crashed, too, and I had to reformat it. Since it was a relativly new computer, and I had most of my images edited and posted, I didn't think it would be worth the time and $$ to have a service try to recover the data. All I'm out is the time to re-install software. That brings up a question - do they charge you $1200.00 even if they don't recover the data? Is the cost pro-rated, like $600.00 if they only get 50% back?? If it's all or nothing, don't think I'd want to roll the dice.

I've already got the portable hard drive - tonights mission is to fashion a backup/archiving plan that works.

Good luck with your drive!

Comment

Originally posted by fenceliner01
                              Wow, bad news, right after your fried your board, too. My Laptop drive just crashed, too, and I had to reformat it. Since it was a relativly new computer, and I had most of my images edited and posted, I didn't think it would be worth the time and $$ to have a service try to recover the data. All I'm out is the time to re-install software. That brings up a question - do they charge you $1200.00 even if they don't recover the data? Is the cost pro-rated, like $600.00 if they only get 50% back?? If it's all or nothing, don't think I'd want to roll the dice.

I've already got the portable hard drive - tonights mission is to fashion a backup/archiving plan that works.

Good luck with your drive!
                              The service not only does not charge for diagnosis, they charge only shipping, should they not be able to recover data... (how much data??) I suppose that will be the 64,000 dollar question in the end! I'd have to go and read the fine print, but they said they were 85%-100% sure of being able to recover data.. some data? the data?... I'll read the fine print!

I truly felt with images from the movie shoots on there, as well as PRS and, actually, I can't remember what else, I simply HAD to take the chance on getting the stuff back... that so many here have helped spread the load is simply priceless!

Did your drive actually "crash" meaning, it's fried and won't turn or anything? If the drive turns, usually recovery software will have a good shot at getting enough back to make a good stab at it... If your drive is still working, you can run the backup software on a different drive than where you're going to save the data, or, at least, a different drive than where the data is.

You might have a lot better luck at getting it back than you'd think.. Recover NT is the program I've used and have...

My case was a total disk failure, no turning at all. Circuit board was getting warm.. i.e. seemed to be getting power but that was it..

I read about the several methods that might get the data back, including the freezer trick.. I opeted to not risk it...

As for my new storage/backup stragedy, I'm going to use double and triple redundant backups.. meaning, when I buy one portable drive, often, I've bought two but simply store one until the other is full (20mb raw files really do build up fast!) What I'm going to do now is mirror data on both drives, as current as possible... that way, if one fails, I'll have the other.. A LOT cheaper than what I'm going through now!

Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Bill@Interstell

TRULY preciate the effort Bill, don't think anything came through though...

THANKS!

Wayne Sagar
                                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                                X