• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: american special

we the Thunderbirds gave it away shawn

Comment

Neal dont you rember the old Nag mettings with all those photographers bringing there slides on Sat Night Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by BillRo
        1980 was the only year #3 was painted properly; that's not Reno, Texas was flat and there are no Corvallis pine trees, so Shawn is correct.

A couple of other #3 items of interest. The wing planform was determined in part not by aerodynamics but the California trailer laws. We needed to trailer the plane and the outer wings were screwed on through the spars and skins with #10 bolts; the plane sat on it's wheels so the overall width, less outer wings, had to be less than 96 in. It would still be legal today but needs a few engine changes, a Steve Hill prop and smaller wheels and wheel pants to be competitive. Another reason that it was successful is that it was only a little over 500 lbs empty without paint or wheel pants.

Weight is absolutely critical with standing start races, something that the home-made composite builders seem to have forgotten or are unable to match compared with aluminum or even the best wood/tube/fabric Cassutts. Industry-built aircraft using autoclaves and vacuum bagging techniques to squeeze out excess resin from the graphite are better than the older designs. Composites allow more complex shapes and should provide better aerodynamics, but you won't win from 3-4 seconds back.

I thought I had some construction pix, but they may have gone with the set of plans John sold to a guy in England.

BillRo

Interesting thoughts on weight. I wonder what the weigth difference is between Endeavor (composite), and Mariah (tube and fabric)?

Comment

Originally posted by BillRo
          Weight is absolutely critical with standing start races, something that the home-made composite builders seem to have forgotten or are unable to match compared with aluminum or even the best wood/tube/fabric Cassutts. Industry-built aircraft using autoclaves and vacuum bagging techniques to squeeze out excess resin from the graphite are better than the older designs. Composites allow more complex shapes and should provide better aerodynamics, but you won't win from 3-4 seconds back.
          BillRo
          hi Bill,

Have you forgotten the '90's?

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
            And here's a Gold Race lineup that shoould make Goss happy. #3 actually looked very nice from the side and with paint.

Quiz question, since we have a couple of knowledgable Formula 1 historians here -- name the event and year...

Neal
            I have been 'off the scope' for the weekend, so I am just now seeing this pic. Great photo, Neal. Brown Field was my first guess too...and I see you questioning Shawn as to how he knew it. Well, I guess if you've ever flown in and out of San Diego, you'd know what the surrounding mountain terrain looks like (just as you can tell Mojave and Reno from the mountain shapes).

The last time I was at Brown Field was about 10 years ago, and it looks nothing like this now. All that flat empty area is all gone now...all track housing. :-(

As far as the pic, that is great...and nods to some of the great competition around the '79-81 timeframe I alluded to in an earlier post. And look at that....."Judy" actually being FLOWN BY JUDY! :-)

Comment

I never been to Brown Field i saw Pictures in the Nag Newsletter. Shawn

Comment

Not great quality, but here are a couple of shots of #3 at Reno 1979, during the Gold Race...
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Race5
                  Interesting thoughts on weight. I wonder what the weigth difference is between Endeavor (composite), and Mariah (tube and fabric)?
                  Mariah's tube & fabric, with a composite wing.
                  With wings around 20' in span, it gets very difficult to keep them light.

Comment

And one more from San Diego 1980...
                    Attached Files

Comment

here is the landing gear collaps on Wild Turkey taken at Mojavy by my dad 1976 Shawn
                      Attached Files

Comment

ops sorry that was 1977 shawn

Comment

One thing comes up to my mind when looking at that rare looking Special. Generally if a plane has a long aft fuse the rudder is small and if a short aft fuse then a bigger rudder. I wonder which is better ?
                          http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X