Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: american special

Originally posted by danbond
    As I recall, the purpose of IF1 is to "Advance and Promote the Art and Science of Air Racing." It seems to me that, if John Parker could design and build an airplane to meet the rules and then beat people with it, then he is living up to the spirit of the organization far better than people who say: "this new design is beating us... let's outlaw it."

True. But there actually is a 'formula' for the Formula 1 class. And when you start building motors and airplanes that are outside that formula, that's kind of called 'cheating'. As Neal pointed out earlier...."design and build an airplane to meet the rules" is a matter of creative interpretation and open to debate.

There was a lot of power jockeying at the time...but as I recall, the politics involved whether you clamp down or relax the rules. Haves vs. Have-nots. And the Have's won out...as seen by letting both Cote and Parker race in IXL after having been suspended in F-1 for rules infractions.

Not saying it was bad, mind you. Those days in the late '70's saw some of the best Formula racing in history, and huge jumps in speed.

There are those who say if you're not cheating you're not trying. Maybe they're right...maybe they're wrong.

JUST MY OBSERVATION.

Comment

This is a fun thread -- and Hello Dan! Haven't seen you in a long time...

Comment

I stop by occasionally looking for news about old friends. I couldn't resist this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
          Venture (noun)

1. an undertaking involving uncertainty as to the outcome, esp. a risky or dangerous one...
          Sounds like the 'egg' to me.

Comment

I was not around in the 70s so I don't have direct knowledge there. But I have known Parker for the past 20 years (damn time files) and he has always been a very nice person to me. Yes, he lacks certain social skills but then so do I, so maybe that's why we get along.

Everyone has different opinions of the man (Parker) and as opinions, none are necessarily wrong, just perhaps not completely formed.

Anyone who has built three raceplanes (two from scratch), for three different classes, and two being very successful, gets respect in my book.

American Air Racing Special/Wild Turkey broke the record and held the record well into the age of carbon and computers. Controversial? Perhaps. Revolutionary? Definitely.

And by the end of June hopefully another record will be next to John's name. And it is all John. There are others that help but he is the main guy who flies the plane, turns the wrenches, and writes the checks.

This has been a cool thread. I hope it continues regardless of the opinions expressed.
            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
            Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Next time you see him, ask John if he'll haul out the old Cessna 421 again and try to qualify in the Unlimiteds this year. :-)

A for effort!

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
                I've been passing out flyers for the Golden West EAA Fly-in ! Hopefully, we'll get a good crowd for it!
                Any one flying up from the LA/Orange County area???
                http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                  Next time you see him, ask John if he'll haul out the old Cessna 421 again and try to qualify in the Unlimiteds this year. :-)

A for effort!
                  HA! Yeah that one was neither Parker built nor successful. Wasn't it a 340? I'm not even sure he owned it. Race 350 and 300 also could not crack the Unlim barrier but they would/did do alright in Sport. I'll try to inquire about the Cessna's history. I know you would like to slap 2 more engines on it and make it a poormans P-3. ZOOOOOOOOMMMMMM
                  Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer
                    Any one flying up from the LA/Orange County area???
                    What's the matter? Mothership didn't pass smog?
                    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Next time you see him, ask John if he'll haul out the old Cessna 421 again and try to qualify in the Unlimiteds this year.
                      HA! Yeah that one was neither Parker built nor successful. Wasn't it a 340? I'm not even sure he owned it. Race 350 and 300 also could not crack the Unlim barrier but they would/did do alright in Sport. I'll try to inquire about the Cessna's history. I know you would like to slap 2 more engines on it and make it a poormans P-3.
                      Race #33 was a Cessna 340 that was owned by F-1 racer Phil Fogg. The F-1 rules were changed after the 1980 season to eliminate some of the "novelty" of the American Spl. Rather than conform to the new requirements, Parker donated the racer to the EAA museum and moved on with the #350 unlimited project. With nothing to race in 1981, John made a deal with Phil to enter the C340 in the unlimiteds, kind of "testing the water" for the upcoming racer project. Needless to say, this didn't go over too well and the aircraft was not allowed to race.

Phil Fogg competed successfully in F-1 until the mid-1980's, when he stepped away to pursue other interests. He returned last year in the jet class, after a 20 year layoff.

Comment

FWIW I've not seen a single negative thing on this thread about John as a person -- one thing that I like a lot is that his facility always seems available during the races to racers of all classes, for advice, bits and pieces, welding etc. I certainly know of a Formula racer or two who have been very grateful for help received. John has been very helpful in various ways to Birgitta and me several times over the years.

I've been following John's career and his racers for just about thirty years now, and I have always admired his spirit, his passion and his accomplishments.

I just wanted to be clear that my "controversy" comment did not mean that I don't have the highest regard for John the man or John the Racer. As I said in another post controversy is not at all unknown among the great racers, (in any motorsport I might add).

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by Tosg
                          Phil Fogg competed successfully in F-1 until the mid-1980's, when he stepped away to pursue other interests. He returned last year in the jet class, after a 20 year layoff.
                          I think Goss found a photo of Phil's 'Unlimted Owl' racer on one of the photo sites. Can't remember what/where...but was always a bit disappointed that it never reached the 'fly' stage. Would have looked cool in the Aloha paint scheme.

Comment

Speed, is this the unlimited you are talking about?

Ralph Wise's Chevy-powered Unlimited Class racer in the hangar at the Milestones of Flight Museum. - Photo taken at Lancaster - General William J Fox (WJF) in California, USA on April 7, 2006.

Comment

Does anybody remember what the innovations were that got the rules changed?

Comment

Actually I was going to ask something like this because I really don't know much about it at all. I know the wing configuration was controversial -- acted like a much smaller wing because so much was more like part of the fuselage? So it may have led to changes in how the wing area was to be measured. Seems like I've heard something about the way they cooled the motor too, but I don't know any specifics.

Maybe Bill Rogers will weigh in at some point...

Comment

Working...
                                X