Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Exciting News!

Originally posted by Peashooter
    Was there any benefit to the revised inlet? (Off a Connie oil cooler?)
    Frank Sanders did the rebuild on her after the crash landing in 1970. Initial serious thought was given to removing the belly scoop altogether (since it had been torn off in the accident) and moving the radiator up inside the fuselage. Air would have come in through intakes in the wing root, similar to a Bearcat or Corsair. But they found that they couldn't raise the radiator up high enough to go completely inside. So they decided to keep the scoop, but make it tucked up closer to the fuselage. The Connie scoop was just convenient in that it was easily (relatively) modified to have a similar size opening of a stock Mustang scoop, but about 6 inches 'shallower'.

With Miss Candace it was all about frontal area...or lack of.

Comment

Small addition:

Dan Martin, air racer extraordinaire, is the teams special consultant and is currently overhauling and restoring most all the major components at his shop in Hollister, California. Dan's commitment to the team has really given the entire project a real kick start.

Comment

Thanks Ryan -- Jimmy actually called me after my post above saying that he wished that Dan Martin had been mentioned, as Dan has been enormously helpful with both the Ghost now, and with Cloud Dancer over the years. He actually said at one point that Dan is the biggest reason the Dancer has been so reliable in recent years. We laughed about the annual Migration of Mustngs to Hollister at the end of August every year to partake of Dan's expertise.

And, Ryan, I hope you don't feel that I stepped on your toes by posting what I did. I know now that Wayne was disappointed because he's had an article in the works -- I'd hate to think that I managed to mess things up for both of you...

Neal

Comment

It's okay Neal. No hard feelings.

Comment

Dan is one class act in my book.
            I had met him waaaayback at a Travis show when he was more than eager to show a teenager his mustang up close.
            This past year they had towed dago in covered in oil. The engine had a biiiig hole in it. We were behind the trailer after, and Dan was visibly upset. He came around and needed something (more soda I think) out of a locker in the trailer, and asked the fans to please move so he could get it, then thanked them for it! I would'nt have thought anything ill of him (circumstances considered) if he had told all of us to get the %$#& out of his way. But he did'nt.
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Speaking of Dan, does he plan on running Dago again this year? (a little redemption for last year!) I hope so!
              "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

My understanding is definitely no Dago this year...

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                  no Dago this year...
                  It has moved from where it was, but why? I don't know...
                  http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                  http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Working...
                  X