• Show
Clear All

Re: Exciting News!

the old Miss Candice Canopy Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Aro
      the old Miss Candice Canopy Shawn

Naw, wouldn't be that. Jimmy never liked that canopy. Too small, not enough room. Virtually impossible to wear a crash helmet and still have enough room to turn your head. That's why he changed the canopy on Spectre in the first place back in '83. The only time Jimmy flew with it was in '84 after the 'new' canopy and turtle deck decided it didn't like being on the airplane while coming down the chute for qualifying.

Remember, the original canopy was designed back when a helmet wasn't required. Dr. Cliff wore a WWII style leather skull cap, and both Mac and Skip just wore David Clarke headsets.

Comment

Originally posted by race9
        Nope, Peashooter is closer. What canopy is it?
        I'm gonna guess either the former Sumthin' Else canopy or the Voodoo race canopy. I'd prefer a slider vs a tilter!

(Am I edging on geekdom?)
        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Yep, that would be the Sumthin Else canopy.

Comment

NICE! So that pic has a date of march on them.Does that mean that there has been work done since that pic?

Comment

The firewall and engine mount has been put on.

Comment

[QUOTE=speeddemon]...
                .....the original canopy was designed back when a helmet wasn't required. Dr. Cliff wore a WWII style leather skull cap.......

.....CNO...local.....2..Sept..1973

Comment

It's roughly the same size as what Sherm has on Czech Mate now.....

Comment

Well....as for the conversation we had about Dave Zeuschel a few weeks back. He always contended that the Miss Candace/Jeannie canopy was the only 'real racing' canopy on any of the Mustangs...that all the other ones were 'fish bowls'.

That canopy was what gave N79111 such a low profile frontal area.

Spectacular pic, by the way. Thanks for sharing. And as I remember, Dr. Cliff was a tiny guy. If you ever see pics of Z in the plane, he looks like he was stuffed in the cockpit with a shoehorn.

Also a great view of the 'first' modified radiator scoop on any of the racing Mustangs....fashioned by Frank Sanders and Phil Greenberg (as I recall) from the oil cooler scoop from the engine cowling of a Lockheed Constellation. Worked great, right up until Z decided to land gear up in a cornfield. :-)

Comment

Hey Speed: Were Georgia Mae and Miss Candace the same airplane? Which Mustang had the "magic" thin-blade prop -- until it got ground in the sand? Peas
                      Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                      World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                        Uh...the old wingtips from Stiletto (circa 1992) sitting on the top of the shelf in the background?

Z decided on the 'super cut' wings for Jeannie in '83...but sold her to Grandpa Jimmy that summer. Stiletto was created with the same 'short' wings (not clipped at the standard production break, but actually a permanent 'cut' of the wing spar, down to the first aileron hinge)

Unfortunately, in the time since, the course was shortened, and shortened, and...and...and. And now a 'short wing' racing Mustang mushes out in the turns...so the new wingtips were put on Stiletto during the 'boil-off' rebuild in 89-92 to lengthen the span and provide a bit more aileron control.

Similar in shape to the tips on MAII.

Am I close? I mean, the pic is pretty poor quality, and it is pretty early in the morning.....
                        Sorry bud, those are RV wingtips

Comment

We have a picture of LARS with the small canopy. Let me see if I can scan it.

Comment

I have got to say, this is one of the more exciting projects to come to life as of late. I am so excited, I am already sitting on pins and needles and cant wait for more... more... MORE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
                              Hey Speed: Were Georgia Mae and Miss Candace the same airplane? Which Mustang had the "magic" thin-blade prop -- until it got ground in the sand? Peas
                              They were two different aircraft. Miss Candace had the thin blade.

Comment

Geroge Mae used be Escape 1 owned by Jack Sliker. Shawn

Comment

Working...
                                X