Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I crossed the line from Specator to participant

Originally posted by ShermB
    I assumed Speeddemon was conceived there, since his Dad frequents the races.
    The whole family is "plane nuts". Dad Bruce, bro Randy, and son DJ are my best Docents.
    Betty
    LOL....no, I just have dad's PICTURES from the years he went there without me. :-) Might as well have been conceived there, though....

Comment

Dad Bruce, bro Randy, and son DJ are my best Docents.
      Betty
      Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Sorry Bill, didn't mean to slight any of you guys.
        ALL the Docents are the BEST. Between Bill, Bruce, Rob, and Randy, they have the program so well organized that I don't have to do anything but hand out the ugly shirts and clipboards. The program wouldn't have been the success it is without any of you.
        Betty

Comment

I started coming to Reno as a spectator in 1972. In 1980 I met the Late Mike Bogue in Oakland airport where the late John Corcker's Race 6 "Sumthin Else was based. I was working for United Airlines and I started helping out around the hanger on Mike's F7F and Gary Flanders B-25 and T-28's I was invited to join Race 6's race crew in 1985. In 1990 after Race 6 was damaged in a landing accident, I got involved with Tom Camp and I've been crewing for him ever since. I also helped David Hoover on his IF1 "Endeavor" and I'm assisting him on his Yak-3 that he is building up for Reno. When Race 27 "Section Eight" P-51 came back to Reno in 1994, I got to work on it as John Crocker raced it for 2 years. It was very special for me as my Father had taken care of N2869D for 4 years in the late 50's. So I got to work on a P-51 that my Dad took care of almost 40 years before. I'm retiring in June to devote more time to work on the warbirds. Life has been good for me

Comment

Dasher:

I have a friend who says we might be able to work a deal for a Pitts.

The other is a BD-5 project that might have potential.

Me with ah.. not much taildragger time, or me with a deathtrap I have much time in.

But like I said we'll see.

I might be at PRS as part of a unlimeted crew.

But I'd rather fly.
            Jerry Beck II
            Director of Photography
            1st. Asst. Director
            Thunder Over Reno

Comment

I recall that Tom Sr and Ken went as spectators in 1986. The next summer, dad purchased #97 so that we could go racing. So 1987 was my first year. I'd never seen so much as a picture of the races although we picked up the a/c from Dennis Bueun at Stead, so I can't claim total ignorance.

We brought an a/c or two most years. Whenever we were without a working airplane, I stayed home. Have never seen it as a spectator.

BTW - We looked at buying Russ Francis's Sea Fury. Deemed $250K too much money and bought the T-6 for $60K. I think having two seats and dual controls appealed to my dad so he could share his flying with his kids.

TJ Dwelle

Comment

Some good posts going on here, however, participant also means RARA volunteers, media, NAG docents, a/c tow guys. Heck even those orange shirt wearing folks have become participants.

I know tow-3 and his Dad, make the trip many years providing us tow support. All let him tell you they crewed for last year.

I guess ultimately what I envisioned was providing some insight on how a race fanantic could cross the line and participate.

I am also pleasantly surprised that most are matter of fact, not ego driven..King. So, King, please tell the rest of your story with Miller, did you work out of his facility in Seguin? What was he doing wrong, and what did you fix?

Also, haven't heard from Victor, Wayne, Betty, Goss and many others esp Marilyn

Keep this rolling

Comment

Alrighty then- you asked for it........

I don't think there is much distinction between spectator and participant because after all we are all participating rather it be hands on or just sitting in the stands observing and cheering for our favorite planes.

I attended my first Reno Air Races with Papa Goss in 1971.
                  He had been previously with some of his crop dusting buddies, and for some reason decided he would still have fun if he took me along....

We had a crop duster friend named Bob Suacci that raced #69 "Miss Janice Lee" in the T-6 class at that time, so I always liked the T-6 class, but I liked the Bearcats best!

Anyways, Papa Goss says one year "Hey, if those guys can do it, so can I" so he bought a really tired grizzly old T-6 that we turned into "Warlock" to go racing.....

We were actually entered to race at Mojave in 1978 or 1979 but spray season wouldn't let Papa Goss get away..So Reno 1981 was our first race.

I have been a very proud crew member of "Warlock" since day one- and I hope as most of you know- to turn the pylons myself someday.

I have made some of the best friends I have had in my life thru air racing- and I owe it all to my Dad for dragging my snot nosed little butt up there with him in 1971....Thanks Papa Goss!!! All the best, RG
                  Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                  RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Originally posted by Warren_C
                    I am also pleasantly surprised that most are matter of fact, not ego driven..King.
                    , Oh OK!

Originally posted by Warren_C
                    So, King, please tell the rest of your story with Miller, did you work out of his facility in Seguin? What was he doing wrong, and what did you fix?
                    No, actually I did not work for him. I met him while my brother was building a Lancair in Jim's hangar in San Antonio. Then they both moved to Boerne and I got to watch and help Jim build "Pushy Galore".

Doing wrong? Not much, he was just hard headed and new blood helped him work a few things out.

Comment

My story begins in 1963, when my Dad gave me, newly divorced,100.00 to spend on just me. The two dentists I worked for had just started flying lessons at Cal-Aero at Paine Field. I went up one Sunday, got a fam ride with CAL,III, and was hooked. Bought block time, took lessons every other Sunday, and listened to war stories in Club 51. Swapped the use of my family' ski cabin for ground school tuition, and worked on the upholstery and panel of a guy's Aircoupe for the use of the plane after I had run out of block time money. Stopped flying and moved to Oregon to go to school, moved to Richland for work and paid a visit to the local FBO and bought some more block time. Ended up working at the FBO on week-ends to pay for the rest of my ticket. Got involved with a crazy bunch of people who wanted to race airplanes in our desert that was like Reno. In 1985 we had the first of our 2 races - 10 IF-1's who really raced, and 3 T-6's for demo racing. (That was Goss/Warlock, Jones/Rent-a-dent, and Bob Heale/Lickety Split) That's why those two classes are my first loves. NAG people came to teach us how to get the job done, and were surprised that we had put the whole thing together in four months, whereas RARA spent a year, and invited us down to the "85 races. We went behind the scenes, met the famous performers and infamous racers. I joined NAG, and not being just a joiner, I got involved and have gone to the NCAR every year since, to spend the best week of the year.
                      Betty

Comment

Originally posted by King
                        I was hired off the street by Jim Miller of "Pushy Cat" fame. He wanted the best and I got him his IF1 championship at Reno.

Excuse me a sec while I go let the air out of my head!!

Jimmy was the king of smooth.
                        Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by TWD
                          BTW - We looked at buying Russ Francis's Sea Fury. Deemed $250K too much money and bought the T-6 for $60K. I think having two seats and dual controls appealed to my dad so he could share his flying with his kids.

TJ Dwelle
                          But you gotta admit.....that was (still IS) one of the most cherry, best looking Sea Furies ever to grace the planet. You could eat a five course meal out of the wheel wells. Absolutely beautiful.

I haven't kept track of it. Denny Sherman had it after Francis for a while. I think Wiley Sanders owned it for a while too. Just lost track of where it is. (And I'm sure that someone will pop up with a link tracking its history).

Comment

The Hawker Fury registry follows the history of all Furys and Sea Furys that survived military service.
                            Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                            RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Geek.

This is from TICO...probably circa 1984.

LOVED this airplane with the 5-blade. Not sure if the inside of the gear doors were gold plated, or if they were just anodized, but wow, wow, wow!

Even though Randy's link doesn't indicate ownership by Denny Sherman, I know that Sherman Aircraft Sales had it at the same time they had Stiletto...because I have a HUGE photo enlargement of Stiletto and N21SF flying in formation, signed by the Shermans.

Comment

Sorry Bill, didn't mean to slight any of you guys.
                                ALL the Docents are the BEST. Between Bill, Bruce, Rob, and Randy, they have the program so well organized that I don't have to do anything but hand out the ugly shirts and clipboards. The program wouldn't have been the success it is without any of you.
                                Betty
                                I knew that.
                                Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Working...
                                X