Wall of Fire.... Toasty!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wall of Fire.... Toasty!!!

I'm 74 & have seen my share of deaths/injuries while at Air Shows/Car Races/Boat Races & of course Air Races from Cleveland on. These people were all professionals in their field to say anything else is wrong. They were doing what they do best. I've lost a few friends that were test pilots & they were the best & without them we wouldn't be where we are in aviation. I agree with Victor. Don't Monday morning quarterback unless you have done it.
    Lockheed Bob
    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Victor keep up with the great photo's, some (most) of us really enjoy
      them!!!!!!!! Why do people go to airshows???I personally
      go to see professional pilots do what they do best. These pilots would not attempt something that they are not comfortable with in front of crowds.There flying is practiced over and over until there absolutely
      sure its safe for them and the thousands of people that watch them every year! If you are an aviation buff you go to airshows for excitment(low and fast)flying,if your an aviation buff that doesnt like fast low flying airplanes theres always any international airport to watch hours of safe flying. Jim A
      Jim Adams
      Blue Thunder 2 crew
      Picabo race 51 crew
      Rapid Travel race 75 crew

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Man
        IF you want to impress your friends with your super flying skills go out and "hand fly" a perfect ILS approach hold and all, or make the perfect short field landing, or fly a long xc using just a compass, clock and chart and hit all your waypoints and time estimates. Sorry, just not impressed. Low level waiver or not.
        Tom, given your disdain for anything other than "normal" flying for transportation use only... Do you approve of Air Racing?

What's the difference between an exhibition of speed and daring flight at low level for the purpose of thrilling both the pilot and fan alike in an Air Race competition and an exhibition of speed and daring flight at low level for the purpose of thrilling both the pilot and fan alike at an air show?

If you can claim to be an Air Race fan and approve of what's done there, then you're just mincing words and mixing opinions for no real purpose. (and yes, you may read that as "blowing smoke out your ass")

You still get to buy first round at Reno in September..

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Man
          Anybody can flow low, from your 20 hour student pilot to your multi thousand hour airshow performer. Ever notice there's always someone with a camera to capture that amazing feat? Seen a couple of picture posts on this forum of someone in a g/a airplane doing it. IF you want to impress your friends with your super flying skills go out and "hand fly" a perfect ILS approach hold and all, or make the perfect short field landing, or fly a long xc using just a compass, clock and chart and hit all your waypoints and time estimates. Sorry, just not impressed. Low level waiver or not.
          Tom
          I agree. I don't think theres any excuse for flying lower than 50' agl.RARA don't allow it either.

Comment

I've always tried to be good at anything that I've done...and that sometimes means pushing the limits...When my friend and I got the wild idea of doing aerobatics after watching Art Scholl a few times we practiced and practiced for a full year before going public at air shows....The decathalon we flew was in prime shape and always carefully checked out before any show....conditions had to be good weatherwise also or we would cut parts of the routine out for safety. But, on those days with good flying weather and a great airshow crowd we would pull out the stops and go for the show!!! Flying down the runway upside down and at low level is something very few pilots will ever attempt...but if you know your skill limits and your aircraft's, it's a real crowd pleaser!
            When we passed the unlimited waiver tests with the FAA inspector, he told us that it was good for 6 feet under. We took that to heart!
            We never did stunts or circus flying to please a crowd...we did highly skilled precision flying!!!

Went Fast, Forgot to Turn Left, Saw God!

Comment

Originally posted by "Race" Driver
              We took that to heart!
              We never did stunts or circus flying to please a crowd...we did highly skilled precision flying!!!

Uh huh, just like every maneuver that the Blue Angels do is based on the exact same aerobatic maneuvers that every Naval Aviator is taught during Primary Training. The basics are the basics...its just the environment that you use them. And my guess is that discipline, rather than reckless abandon, is the bottom line of ANY airshow performer.

Comment

Originally posted by Missileer
                Old Pilots and Bold Pilots, but very few Old, Bold Pilots.
                Or so I've been told.

Mr. R.A. (Bob ) Hoover

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
                  Good heavens, are we still blibbering about this?

No, we passed that milestone three pages ago. Now we're just blarking.

Comment

You two are 'tards.
                    Pop Tards?

Comment

well they do come two to a pack...
                      http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                      http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

You two are 'tards.
                        <Walter Sobchak voice>

"Also, Dude, 'tards is not the preferred nomenclature. Mentally challenged, please."

</Walter Sobchak voice>

Comment

Originally posted by "Race" Driver
                          Just so I can make a comment....this pic is no airshow accident....just a little water in the fuel from washing the plane....hit a tree first....then the ground, thus proving the point that the ground after all is always involved.....Oh...the gravity of the situation.....

p.s. pilot walked away with only bumps and a bruised ego......also had to pay for the walnut tree that was destroyed....

What a horrible waste of an 8F.
                          Chris...

Comment

Working...
                          X