Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wheel Landings

Originally posted by HiredBitSlinger
    Evidence that no matter how you plan to do it, things can get exiting fast.
    There are two things CJ's doing in this picture for gusty crosswind technique: 1) he likely approached at a crabbed angle aiming to the left of the runway, which ya can't do once the wheels touch, so as you round out to put it on, you lower the upwind wing and hold your line on the runway with opposite rudder. With practice, its a very fluid, controllable maneuver; and 2) he's only using half flap which provides a little more speed for gust margins and enhanced control response. GREAT photo!
    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
    World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Just thinking about crabbing down final.

Used to fly the Boeing 757. Was great fun flying final with a steady crosswind because the a/c is so long. Other pilot calls 50 feet. Flare, rudder to line up with the runway and put it on the upwind gear. Course then the spoilers deploy and the other gear comes crashing down. More fun in a taildragger where you can roll it along on one wheel for a while.

No one told me that when the upwind truck touched down, you'd better have the nose lined up with the runway because it would swing to center very quickly. I'm sure the passengers in the rear got their heads smacked against the windows a time or two.

When I land the T-6 from the back, I always do a wheelie so I can see. Our home runway is on the narrow side and all fwd visibility goes away quickly with the tail down.

TJ Dwelle

Comment

Hey Ryan, How many planes did you solo on your birthday?
        None. I'm only 15, so I can't legally solo yet. Though I plan on soloing at least 3, maybe more. No P-51 though.

I remember the story in Sport Aviation about Dirk (your dad?) soloing a bunch of planes on his 16th, including the P-51 and a Beech 18! Peas
        We'll, it wasn't his 16th Birthday and he didn't solo a Beech 18, but thats about right.

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
          There are two things CJ's doing in this picture for gusty crosswind technique
          Peas,
          A small correction. The pilot is wearing a Blue helmet, I think that's Dan Vance...

Comment

Working...
          X