• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: who is going to win this year????

How many times has Russ Wicks won?

Comment

Wow Speeddemon! That must have taken you a long time.

Jarrod

Comment

I would think Tiger has to be near the top of the list of most maydays. I know he's re-oiled the runways any number of times..
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Re: who is going to win this year???? (Speeddemon)

Brad --

I'm curious... The Air Museum, as I remember, has raced two stock D models -- the original Spam Can and the "new" 7715C. Did Steve ever race 7715C, or just the original?

Neal

Comment

Odd, I thought The Buick would make at least one of those lists...
            _________
            -Matt
            Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

"Can of geek-ass." Speed, you are the man.
              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Missileer
                Whiney Merlin Guys... hmmm.

Using the RARA site database score of Round v. Straight since 1964 (as far back as they go) the score is:

'Whiney Merlin' = 24
                Round = 18

Also... the winningest pilot--- Tiger with a "Whiney Merlin"

Ed
                Ed, I think you took the "Whiney Merlin Guys" out of context of the tread. All guys with Merlins aren't whiney, but start talking about Sundays Gold race going to 15 or 20 laps and you will hear allot more than just whining from certain camps.

Quote:
                Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar
                ... how do you know who to root for when you have friends in all three top contenders??????

Uh Wayne.... "all three"?

I'd say we have 4 top contenders.

Realistically Bill there are only three top contenders. But Reno being Reno who knows what carnage will be sitting on the ramp Sunday night. It could be anyone's race down the list that's still running. That's what makes Reno the great race that it is.

Comment

It's the carnage sitting on the ramp SATURDAY night that matters. Each year we see this huge shootout brewing, and each year it usually turns out that only one racer is really together by Sunday. Welll, sometimes two. With all the variables it seems impossible to have a 3,4 or 5 plane race at the end. But that's what makes the pre-week so cool! Watching the drama unfold.
                  Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                  thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon

PLANE WITH MOST NUMBER OF DIFFERENT RACE PILOTS

Dago Red--7 (Hevle, Brickert, Preston, Cote, Price, Lockwood, Holm)
                    Soon to change to 8 for 2006, then 9 for 2007
                    add Martin, and XXXXXX new owner/pilot

Comment

ET,

I think you may have gotten me and DialTapper mixed up. All this is just pure speculation and a way for us to make the work day go by faster. But....

Originally posted by Dialtapper
                      Realistically Bill there are only three top contenders. But Reno being Reno who knows what carnage will be sitting on the ramp Sunday night. It could be anyone's race down the list that's still running. That's what makes Reno the great race that it is.
                      Hey DT,

I still think that 232 is a top contender and here is why...

The team has the desire, experience, and most importantly, the money to make a winner. I think Kerch and the team can get 490 out of a racer that went 468 when it was real rough around the edges. Since 232 went 468 the Fury has gotten a new motor, system upgrades, wing treatment which included taking the folding mechanisms out, and who knows what else.

Oh, did I mention that 4, 7, and 77 will all have "new" pilots that have never turned a race lap in their particular cockpits. We all know Dan, Curt, and Ron have the skills and all have rounded the pylons quite a few times, but familiarity with the machine goes a long way. I know all of them have had practice time, but 500mph at 50 feet with 7 others is a whole other game. (Personally I think Dan Martin could qualify a paper bag, and not in the last spot)

I'm not saying that 232 will win. I'm not saying that 232 is the fastest one out there. But I am saying that I think they are a top contender.

I just hope no one breaks. And I'd like to see 86 win, also 7, also Dan Martin! Maybe Dan could fly 4, 7, and 86 to victory.
                      Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                      Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

I think that Mr. Brown will be in somewhat the same siuation as the other "new" pilots in their respective aircraft. September Fury, from the sounds of the work being done, is going to be handle a bit differently then it has previsouly so there may be some type of learning curve to have it run at its full potential. This is surely has the making to be one helluva year. Looking forward to it more even more now that I am heading to Geilenkirchen Germany in Mar 07.

Comment

Working...
                        X