Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: who is going to win this year????

Originally posted by Fence Sence
    I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring. If all motors hold together there is no way in hell the Bear will ever beat Dago or Strega. Now don't get me wrong, I love that Bearcat, but it has never shown that if can run sustained 500mph laps. Strega has yet do it as well. Dago on the other hand has proven it can. I would love to see Dago and Strega duke it out at 500+ for 8 laps. I think that's what it's going to take and those are the only two that have the potential to do it. At least that's what it looks like from my side of the fence.

But two years ago the motors held together, and The Bear won! So there is a way in Hell. I know what everyone is going to say, but it's in the record books: Bear 1st place, Dago 2nd.
    R2K6 - TBD.

Tommy

Comment

Correct you are. I guess hell is a cut pylon.
      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Dago on the other hand has proven it can.
        I suppose it may not need to be said, but true: on a given day, with a given motor, and a given pilot, in a given year(s), with a given crew chief, with a given TEAM, (and I emphasize TEAM). I have to remind everyone that back in 2000 was it(?) when the same combination went for an official 500 mph lap after the Gold, the motor shelled on take-off. How close was it to that when the aforementioned combination crossed the finish line for the win minutes before? Hmmmmmm? It's all about preparation 1st, with a huge helping of luck a close 2nd. Anybody can win, I've seen it happen. And like you say, from yours and my side of the fence it could end up being a real race between Dago and Strega like we have never seen. But I temper that opinion with the thought that there are a bazillion variables this year, including pilot/aircraft combinations. I'm just going to hold on to my hat and hope like hell that all of the potential contenders for the Gold stay healthy for a major shootout on Sunday, eh?
        Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

I guess hell is a cut pylon.
          Could be. HAH! Looking forward to meeting you this year at the Air Race Addict basecamp, Fence.
          Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

" I have to remind everyone that back in 2000 was it(?) when the same combination went for an official 500 mph lap after the Gold, the motor shelled on take-off. How close was it to that when the aforementioned combination crossed the finish line for the win minutes before? Hmmmmmm?"

That was Dago that grenaded on take of for there "Official 500 mph lap" Critical Mass came in second.

That's why we should go to a 15 lap Sunday Gold race.

Comment

A 15 lap gold race on sunday is not a good idea, the racers would not have enough fluids (gas,ADI, spray bar water, etc) with the current set up some racers have a problem not being able to pull full power for an entire race. To increase the amount of fluids able to be held for a 15 lap race would definately over gross the plane in thier current configurations, and to accomodate the added weight would produce significantly slower lap speeds.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper
                That's why we should go to a 15 lap Sunday Gold race.
                Hoooo Baby DT.... I'd fork out an additional $100. that I don't have to see this happen!

Good for the crowd, good for the sport, good for some racers...

Now, if you really wanted to make it interesting, make it 25 laps and put a fuel cap on the race......

Can you spell S-U-S-P-E-N-S-E!!!!!!!!

Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Air Race Addict
                  I'm just going to hold on to my hat and hope like hell that all of the potential contenders for the Gold stay healthy for a major shootout on Sunday, eh? [/B]
                  They could top the 1989 Gold race this year, if the stars are aligned! I'm ready to stand breathless with my heart in my throat as the last lap unfolds...
                  Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                  World Speed Record Holder

Comment

You talking about those whiney guys with there little V-12's?

Merlin, it's not if it's going to blow up but when.

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper

You talking about those whiney guys with there little V-12's?

Merlin, it's not if it's going to blow up but when.
                      Wahoo DT!!!

Round v Straight....

Let the games begin! Rowdy and rude comments accepted as long as we remember this one's all in fun!!

PS... how do you know who to root for when you have friends in all three top contenders??????
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Should be a hoot this year. Especially the kind of planes that can do 490 all day!

Comment

Originally posted by Air Race Addict
                          Could be. HAH! Looking forward to meeting you this year at the Air Race Addict basecamp, Fence.
                          Totally! I plan on tracking you guys down. It shouldn't be too hard as we've all been parking next to each other for what 20-30 years?

Personally, I'm on the edge of my seat already. If what happens is what could happen, oh boy. Rarely is it, but, just in case, I'm going down to get a new tripod for the vid cam.

Just out of curiosity, does anybody have stats on maydays? What plane has the most, how many in one year, yadda yadda yadda?
                          You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                            ... how do you know who to root for when you have friends in all three top contenders??????
                            Uh Wayne.... "all three"?

I'd say we have 4 top contenders.
                            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                            Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by Missileer
                              Whiney Merlin Guys... hmmm.

Using the RARA site database score of Round v. Straight since 1964 (as far back as they go) the score is:

'Whiney Merlin' = 24
                              Round = 18

Also... the winningest pilot--- Tiger with a "Whiney Merlin"

Ed
                              Okay, you've made me pull out a can of "geek-a$$" on you guys.

Here is the 'official' tally of all Unlimited Races since 1964:

Inline 36
                              Radial 29

Mustang 35
                              Bearcat 22
                              Sea Fury 6
                              Corsair 1
                              Tsunami 1

INDIVIDUAL AIRCRAFT (5 OR MORE WINS)

Rare Bear 15 victories
                              Strega 10 victories
                              Roto Finish/Red Baron 8 victories
                              Conquest 1 7 victories
                              Dago Red 6 victories

PILOTS (5 OR MORE WINS)

Lyle Shelton 10 victories
                              Tiger Destefani 9 victories
                              Darryl Greenamyer 8 victories
                              Steve Hinton 6 victories
                              Skip Holm 6 victories
                              John Penney 5 victories

PILOT WITH WINS IN MOST DIFFERENT AIRCRAFT

Skip Holm--4 (Jeannie, Healer, Stiletto, Dago)
                              Steve Hinton--3 (Red Baron, Super Corsair, Tsunami)

PILOT WITH THE MOST NUMBER OF DIFFERENT AIRCRAFT RACED

Skip Holm--9 (Jeannie, Shangri-La, Healer, Stiletto, Blind Man's Bluff, Mr. Awesome, Tsunami, Bearcat 204, Dago Red)

Steve Hinton--7 (Jack Flaherty's P-63, Red Baron, 100 Day Wonder, Spam Can, Super Corsair, Miss Ashley, Tsunami)

Darryl Greenamyer--6 (Conquest 1, Yippiee, Berenna's Bronco, Dave Z's P-51, Flying Undertaker, Red Baron)

PLANE WITH MOST NUMBER OF DIFFERENT RACE PILOTS

Miss America--8 (Keefe, Beck, Granley, Hall, Twombley, Preston, Lockwood, Hisey)

Dago Red--7 (Hevle, Brickert, Preston, Cote, Price, Lockwood, Holm)

Comment

Originally posted by Missileer
                                I only counted the Gold wins...since that's when $$ talks and $% walks. But I like your numbers event better.

Guess I missed one of Lyle's wins.
                                Those ARE Gold (or Championship) wins--doesn't count any Silver or Bronze wins...since they are technincally 'consolation' races. But it includes the championship events at Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Mojave, San Diego, Cape May, Miami, Moose Jaw, Hamilton, Dallas, Denver, Kansas City, Phoenix, and Tunica.

Comment

Working...
                                X