Some old Reno pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
    Fine jazz musician is really an understatement at 16 years old he was hired by Stan Kenton to be lead trumpet....yes, lead.
    Now there's a name I haven't heard for 40+ years... kinda like the name Maynard Ferguson & Bud Brisbois. Yes, I was a trumpet player back in the day, pretty good too (made tri-state honor stage band, numerous awards, ect.) . In fact, most people out of high school would have pegged me for a music career. But there's no money in music unless you know the right people, so I went another path. Anyway, I never made the connection that the Buddy Childers you're talking about was the same one that played trumpet in Kenton's band - that's wild. The things you learn here.
    Mark K....

Comment

• Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
      Now there's a name I haven't heard for 40+ years... kinda like the name Maynard Ferguson & Bud Brisbois. Yes, I was a trumpet player back in the day, pretty good too (made tri-state honor stage band, numerous awards, ect.) . In fact, most people out of high school would have pegged me for a music career. But there's no money in music unless you know the right people, so I went another path. Anyway, I never made the connection that the Buddy Childers you're talking about was the same one that played trumpet in Kenton's band - that's wild. The things you learn here.
      PRPA had a Christmas party one year and Buddy played the trumpet for us. It was awesome. Buddy would egg Lyle on until Lyle would bring his trombone out and play with him. Buddy had talked my Mom into bringing Lyle's trombone with us to the party. So when Lyle said he didn't have it with him... Surprise! Buddy had it on stage. Lyle had kept his lip in shape and while Buddy could play circles around him, he sandbagged a bit and they played a couple of Tommy Dorsey songs they both knew.
      Last edited by BellCobraIV; 04-29-2024, 05:22 PM.
      John Slack

Comment

• Wow, how cool that must have been !

Comment

• Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
          PRPA had a Christmas party one year and Buddy played the trumpet for us. It was awesome. Buddy would egg Lyle on until Lyle would bring his trombone out and play with him. Buddy had talked my Mom into bringing Lyle's trombone with us to the party. So when Lyle said he didn't have it with him... Surprise! Buddy had it on stage. Lyle had kept his lip in shape and while Buddy could play circles around him, he sandbagged a bit and they played a couple of Tommy Dorsey songs they both knew.
          So Lyle had a set of chops on him! Playing a trombone well does take a lot of "intestinal fortitude"... a fact that certainly seems to suit his personality & swagger. That had to be a really special moment when Buddy & Lyle started jamming... thanks for sharing that
          Mark K....

Comment

• Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
            So Lyle had a set of chops on him! Playing a trombone well does take a lot of "intestinal fortitude"... a fact that certainly seems to suit his personality & swagger. That had to be a really special moment when Buddy & Lyle started jamming... thanks for sharing that
            Lyle had a lot of aspects to him. He boxed Golden Gloves when he was at UTEP, was Texas State runner up two years in a row. His mother hated the nickname "Killer" and kept all of his boxing trophies in their garage storage in boxes. He worked out with a speed bag daily until about the last two years of his life, and a 75 pound body bag as well. He has quite a bit of high end boxing equipment that we donated to the high school he gradtfrom after he passed away.

Dave Cornell was Rhienschild's systems guy in 1988. I don't remember what Lyle had said that irritated Bill, however Bill came walking by me while I was working on his Zeuschel engine upset. Bill looked up at me and said he was going down to "Pop Lyle in the mouth!" Cornell was on the other side of the engine and looked up and saw Bill walking away looking mad. Dave asked me what was wrong with Herr Rheins? I told Dave that Bill said he was going to "Pop Lyle in the mouth!" Dave's eyes got big and as he jumped down off the ladder and started chasing Bill, Dave shouted S#&t if he hits Shelton, Lyle will kill him!" Lyle was not a violent man, he could take a lot. But he did not like other people to touch him. The man was quick, he was strong and he did what he needed to. Dave had watched Lyle with both bags at the house and in the hangar. Dave caught up with Bill and brought him back. Dave had me promise to Bill that I would address his displeasure over the issue with Lyle. When he did Lyle just shrugged and said he wasn't happy with Bill either.

​​​
            John Slack

Comment

• The racer below shouldn't be too hard to identify... easy to tell what type of aircraft it is. Slack knows of course... Hopefully he'll give others a little time for answers. Have a look.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	SB.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	388.4 KB
ID:	265001
              Jan

http://www.AirRace.info = http://www.airrace.de

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
                The racer below shouldn't be too hard to identify... easy to tell what type of aircraft it is. Slack knows of course... Hopefully he'll give others a little time for answers. Have a look.

Name:	SB.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	388.4 KB
ID:	265001
                Okay I won't play, I got to sit in it though.

John
                John Slack

Comment

• John Sandberg's P-63 Tipsy Miss.

Comment

• Yes, that's Tipsy Miss in 1972 when it debuted. Lefty was doing the flying. For those who aren't aware, the airplane was called "Tipsy Miss" because John Sandberg had its Allison running on alcohol. That caused quite a few problems... But it sure was a pretty P-63C, one of a batch Darryl had purchased. Larry Havens also got hold of one of the P-63s Darryl had acquired. That flew (briefly) as Race number 90, pictured earlier in this thread. (Photos by Dave Esler)

Name:	SB 2.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	265007
                    Jan

Comment

• I saw it fly at Madera one year when it was owned by someone else. Can't remember his name. If I remember right he collided with a Mustang on the runway with what was considered minor damage at the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by MRE View Post
                        I saw it fly at Madera one year when it was owned by someone else. Can't remember his name. If I remember right he collided with a Mustang on the runway with what was considered minor damage at the time.
                        If you mean Race 28, you probably saw Mike Smith flying the airplane. He raced it at Reno in 1979 as "What Price Speed?"

Now for another Bell Aircraft racing puzzler. Once again, Unlimited Air Racing's Ocotopus is asked to remain mum for a short while so that others might solve this riddle. I'll make the same request of Neal cause he'll know the answers too... and this is his photo.

So.... Who's Kingcobra is this? Who raced it? What year was this? And why was it racing? Ready.... go!

Name:	image.png
Views:	315
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	265010
                        Jan

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post

If you mean Race 28, you probably saw Mike Smith flying the airplane. He raced it at Reno in 1979 as "What Price Speed?"

Now for another Bell Aircraft racing puzzler. Once again, Unlimited Air Racing's Ocotopus is asked to remain mum for a short while so that others might solve this riddle. I'll make the same request of Neal cause he'll know the answers too... and this is his photo.

So.... Who's Kingcobra is this? Who raced it? What year was this? And why was it racing? Ready.... go!
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	330.4 KB ID:	265010
                          The P63F... Raced at Cleveland in '46 as race 21. Finished 10th. In 1976 it came back to racing as race #28, flown by Lefty at Mojave, then at Reno as Race 4 flown by Jack Flaherty finishing 5 in bronze (I think) Sold to the Whittington Brothers in '77, raced as 8 by Don Whittington in '78.

Its hard to guess the year since there is no race number visible. I will guess this was 1976 when it was raced by Jack Flaherty.

Will
                          Last edited by RAD2LTR; 05-02-2024, 11:36 PM.

Comment

• Flaherty Factors, Mustang importer...

Since it was brought up, what happened with Charley Tuckers airplanes from the Thompson era. There was the one that he REALLY clipped the wings on... Charley was also a big proponant of the 3 bladed prop being faster. He was quite a character, a walking history book.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
                              Flaherty Factors, Mustang importer...

Since it was brought up, what happened with Charley Tuckers airplanes from the Thompson era. There was the one that he REALLY clipped the wings on... Charley was also a big proponant of the 3 bladed prop being faster. He was quite a character, a walking history book.
                              Chuck Tucker's P-63s the one without the radical wing clip went through a couple of hands after the Postwar racing time. It ultimately ended up being owned by Darryl Greenameyer and the larger parts of it were used in the rebuild of Larry Havens P-63.

The other one with the 25 foot wingspan according to Chuck ended up getting scrapped in place in the 1950s after Russ Hosler had bought it. Apparently the airport took over possession after the tie down remained unpaid.

Dwight had put together an event at one of the local restaurants in Gilroy and Chuck talked, and Dwight made a video of him talking that evening. Really nice. Last I saw of the video it was in a box in Tennessee.

John
                              John Slack

Comment

• Jan, it was not Mike Smith. Chuck Tucker's purple race 30 was pretty fast.

Comment

Working...
                                X