No announcement yet.

Some old Reno pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, the mechanic is Steve... as in Hinton.

Neal has much of the technical side of the RB's development right. There was a bit more to it in terms of effort as I recall but I'd have to ask Dad for more detail and that's not possible. I do know that the gradual entry of Darryl into the Red Baron Air Racing Team was pretty darn upsetting to quite a few people within the team. Darryl's arrival on the scene was less straightforward than you might imagine, according to Mac and Dad.

In addition, the Red Baron Air Racing Team was really one of the first, if not the actual first, professional racing team in the Unlimited class. Mac had been a major force in organizing the team with a backer/sponsor in the form of Ed Browning and an airframe, engine, systems and engineering staff that included Bruce Boland, Pete Law, Dave Zeuschel, Randy Scoville, Phil Greenberg, Bob Carr and more.

Yes, they had struggles with the airplane, particularly when the decision was made to try the Griffon/counter-rotating prop and airframe modifications. These were things that as a whole hadn't been done before. Blower gears bit them twice in championship races. And it wasn't Darryl alone who pushed the RB-51 forward. The team were trying lots of things already. Dad thought, and I have no reason to disagree, that they would have gotten there with Mac in the cockpit eventually as well. For another perspective, ask the mechanic pictured above....

I could say more but I'll leave it at that. Good pic of Steve and the fellas Neal. Ditto for the photos of Mac and Darryl in the RB.

Jan

http://www.AirRace.info = http://www.airrace.de

Comment

Wiley Sanders had initially asked "Z" about a Griffon for Jeannie. Dave wrote a technical report to Wiley regarding the reasons that he would not suggest the Griffin, basically that experiment didn't work out for what they expected. He had ideas that supported the Merlin as the better choice. The history of air racing once again was rewritten by "Z" until "Da' Doc'" finished writing the Mouse story.

Of course when assembled and tuned correctly with My Dad at the stick The Bear still has higher TAS numbers on the course. Two beasts, one team.
      John Slack

Comment

"Of course when assembled and tuned correctly with My Dad at the stick The Bear still has higher TAS numbers on the course. Two beasts, one team"

Bingo!

Mr. Slack is on target as usual. I'd say John's insight is illustrative of the difference in the foregoing discussion on test pilots as race pilots and true racers as race pilots. I'm not saying Darryl wasn't a racer. Nor would I say that Skip wasn't a racer. But the other test pilots mentioned... not as much.

Jan

http://www.AirRace.info = http://www.airrace.de

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post

Of course when assembled and tuned correctly with My Dad at the stick The Bear still has higher TAS numbers on the course. Two beasts, one team.
          And that fact is still reverberating throughout the space-time continuum.....

Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

It's been a very busy 15 years, I miss my Dad very much. At least he has Joyce to keep him in check now.

Bill Hickle knew both of my parents very well. He described Lyle once as the guy who would have come up with the fastest unlimited combination ever, only to lose it to the IRS without Joyce in charge of the checkbook.

I understand that comment.
            John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by SpinB View Post

And that fact is still reverberating throughout the space-time continuum.....
              Especially with the 3-bladed prop doing the pulling.

Comment

Red Baron Flying Service--didn't they sponsor Darryl Greenamyers F-104? I had always thought that since he was part of Red Barron with the F-104 that's how he got the P-51 Red Baron ride. How did the F-104 sponsorship with them happen?

Comment

It's been a very busy 15 years, I miss my Dad very much. At least he has Joyce to keep him in check now.

Bill Hickle knew both of my parents very well. He described Lyle once as the guy who would have come up with the fastest unlimited combination ever, only to lose it to the IRS without Joyce in charge of the checkbook.

I understand that comment.
                  So your Mom is gone... I'm very sorry.

Comment

Reno 1991

Click image for larger version

Name:	R91   Gold Race    215  copy 2  WEB.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	876.9 KB
ID:	264690

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post

So your Mom is gone... I'm very sorry.
                      Neal,
                      My Mom passed away the day after Thanksgiving in 2022.
                      John Slack

Comment

Reno 1991

Name:	R91   Gold Race    215  copy 2  WEB.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	876.9 KB
ID:	264690
                        Look at the blade angle on that big bad three bladed Bear Claw. If you look at the spinner with the engine off, picture the blades all the way forward in coarse pitch the cuffs of the blades line up with molded fairings in the spinner. Man it was cool.

Neal, thanks for the awesome picture.

John
                        John Slack

Comment

Neal,
                          My Mom passed away the day after Thanksgiving in 2022.

I did not know. And I am sorry.

Comment

I did not know. And I am sorry.
                            I meant my answer as informational not critical. Nobody really could have known as there was just a local announcement. She was 91 1/2 years old, she had suffered dementia for the past few years and we kept her with us at home, providing her better care than she ever got when initially when she went into memory care. It was a privilege to be able to care for her like she cared for me when I was younger and couldn't care for myself.

For many years she enjoyed going to the Fly Days at Paine Field that Paul Allen's FHC put on. A warbird would start up and she would smile and take it all in.

John
                            John Slack

Comment

I took it as informational. I liked your Mother a lot -- she was always good to me when I was down there.

While you are around, I have a couple of Merlin and Zeuschel questions for you. They will come up in a couple of posts.

Name:	R85  008  copy  WEB.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	981.4 KB
ID:	264697

Comment

Damn, I keep getting distracted by Bearcat photos. Sorry...

Name:	R85  007  copy  WEB.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	706.1 KB
ID:	264699

Comment

Working...
                                X