Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any word on today's issue? Never flew in either unlimited session and the crew appeared to be thrashing most of the day. Not off to a great start.

Comment

• Miss America did encounter an issue today... the ADI pump wasn't working, which was resolved in short order. All the other stuff that was going on was just routine maintenance, gapping the clearances on the Merlin Fingers and safety wiring them, Pete Law doing his thing setting "stuff" up, and running up the engine to adjust the fuel pressure (why you saw the engine started and stopped about 4 times - Greg was making the pressure adjustments). The aircraft is ready to make a run tomorrow - plans call for Brent to get his laps in, then gain some altitude & speed so that Rick & Pete can get a baseline to set the prop governor at. Brent's not planning to set the world on fire just yet, but the aircraft is ready! I did overhear Brent talking with Rick on what manifold pressure they'll be using tomorrow, and although I can't say it here - I can say it's not crazy power, rather conservative considering how much boost they're planning on using in Sunday's main event.

I was with the crew all day today, and plan on doing so for the remainder of the event. I have a singular focus, crew photographer... so I'm not really going to be doing much reporting (just got back from dinner with the crew and it's almost 10PM) so I just don't have much time - but I've got enough for one post a day to hit the highlights. Lots of others out there taking pics and posting news - so I'm hoping they'll keep you informed on the other stuff.
      Last edited by Pylon1_Mark; 09-12-2023, 12:59 AM.
      Mark K....

Comment

• here's a pic from today's engine run.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9158.jpg
Views:	1259
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	263672
        Mark K....

Comment

• Brent flew Miss America today to get his lap requirements completed and as expected, kept it at a conservative manifold pressure & associated speed... at least that's what most saw. But sometime during this run Brent took Miss A up to full race power... and although I can't say what that is, I will say that when we are given the green light you will be pretty astonished just how much boost Miss A is putting trough that aftercooled merlin. I can also add that prop governor setting seems to be right on target, no need for further adjustments as he easily went past the 3400 rpm limit they were experiencing back in 2021 - basically the team is very pleased with what took place today and are looking forward to qualifying tomorrow.

About the only thing that is concerning to the crew is that Brent is very much under the weather - he's picked up a rather nasty cold/flu bug and isn't feeling to well. He has been/is working through it, but did tell me that it could possibly delay his qualifying run until Wednesday. Because of this, we'll just have to wait and see what happens next.

That's all for today's report... more soon!
          Mark K....

Comment

• That’s great news! All the hard work and effort is paying off!
            "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

• We were out near the flight line this morning when he started it for the first time today. It was one of the smoothest starts that I've seen for a Merlin. There was no drama at all. We could hear the starter motor for a few seconds, and then it just started with no smoke, no flames and all the cylinders immediately caught hold and it ran smoothly. It sounds strong. When he did the takeoff for the first unlimited session, it sounded special. I do think that the shutdown was different from what I usually see, though. Most of the time, I expect the RPM's to climb a bit as the engine leans out when shutting it down. Miss A seemed to just stop when he shut it down. I don't know if that's unusual, but I noticed it. Did he just switch the mags off?

I'm not very good with people, so I have a hard time at chatting with crew in the pits, but I'm down here with my son's father-in-law, who is a retired airline A&P and fan of all motor sports, and has a gift at chatting with people. I left him at the Miss A pit and did a bit of walking around. He spoke with Brent, got some shirts and had them signed. They also talked about the last couple of years of racing and their expectations for this year. So we knew the plan for today, and that they'd not be pushing it on the course at all today. Everything was exactly what we expected.

I am pretty excited for Miss A this year, and am looking forward to the rest of the week. As a fairly long time fan, but still an outsider, I've been following this for a while. I have to say, that from my point of view, the team looks like it is doing everything absolutely right. I am so glad that race week is here.

Comment

• Since I did have a little time after dinner tonight, thought I'd attach a few photos from today.

Miss America & crew just prior to engine start this afternoon during the second unlimited session today.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	091123_01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.20 MB ID:	263695

Pilot Brent Hisey fires up the motor in Miss America
                Click image for larger version  Name:	091123_02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	263696

Click image for larger version  Name:	091123_03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	263697

Closeup of the crew following today's run.

Name:	091123_04.jpg
Views:	1049
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	263698

Alan Preston (left) visited the pits of Miss America and Brent Hisey (right) today about 3PM.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	091123_05.jpg Views:	0 Size:	980.3 KB ID:	263699
                Last edited by Pylon1_Mark; 09-11-2023, 09:35 PM.
                Mark K....

Comment

• Just did an engine run and puked oil all over the ramp. Hopefully just a loose fitting or a cap somewhere that is easy to get to.

Comment

• Nope!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
                      Nope!
                      What does that mean?
                      "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

• What was all over the inside of the canopy when he landed form the failed qualifying attempt? Oil? Coolant? Both? Did the new heat exchanger fail?

Comment

• An observation. Depending on how much oil Miss A lost in qualifying. Is the engine wounded?

Comment

• And good point Race5. In the same vein. If it was coolant...is the engine wounded?

Comment

• Guys, it was a long day yesterday (9/12) and I didn't get to much of anything after I got back home last night. Sorry, but when the tanks on empty there's not a whole lot you can do about it except fill it back up. So now, on with it.

It wasn't an easy day for team Miss America as when Brent Hisey brought her in from her qualifying run that all was not happy with the airplane. After inspection, it was determined that the heat exchanger did indeed fail. The results were blowing coolant, steam, and oil spewing inside of the cockpit. Brent was able to skillfully fly the plane in for what appeared to be a normal landing. Once on the ground, the crew went to work to determine the problems. Since then 2 replacement heat exchangers are on the way, one coming from something/someone we all know - Strega & Bill "Tiger" Destefani. Hopefully the one from Shafter, CA should arrive late tomorrow morning 9/13/23. The other is coming from Rick's shop in Texas and should arrive early Thursday morning.

After the incident the screens were checked, great news - no metal... so it does appear at this point that there was no damage to the engine...however due to all coolant vapor & steam in the cockpit, the gauges must have malfunctioned as Brent added that oil pressure went to zero, temps off the charts... and that occurred during the run, not afterwards. With the way she taxied back, and with no metal in the screens... the consensus is no apparent damage to the motor or other components BUT it bears careful examination & as much testing as possible to be 110% sure. So today team Miss A be installing the new heat exchanger, testing it as well as other systems, then hopefully get her qualifying run in. But what occurs if the one from Shafter doesn't arrive? What happens if damage can't be repaired prior to the end of qualifications tomorrow?

Well, the best person to answer that question would be Dennis Sanders, who visited the Miss A camp late this afternoon and shared some good news... it was decided that if Miss A can't make the qualifying field, he will be allowed to start in the Bronze event in last place then work up to the Gold on Sunday... the old "race your way in" like back in the old days. I think everyone realizes that with Dreadnought out, there really wouldn't be a good Gold Race, which is exactly what the fans came for. So RARA is doing everything in their power to make this event a worthy send-off...outstanding!

Just got word that the team is going to head-out at 5:45AM this morning... so I have to cut this shorter than I would have liked. But we'll add more later today or tomorrow. Until then...

(left to right) Brent Hiset, Crew Chief Greg Butler, and engine builder Rick Shanholtzer walk out to Miss America just prior to their 1st qualification attempt.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	_WC64351.jpg Views:	0 Size:	773.2 KB ID:	263732

Brent Hisey fires-up the motor in Miss America in preparations for their qualifying effort.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	_WC64395.jpg Views:	0 Size:	771.6 KB ID:	263733

Brent Hisey fires-up the motor in Miss America as Rich Shanholtzer looks on in preparations for their qualifying effort.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	_WC64402.jpg Views:	0 Size:	722.1 KB ID:	263734

Miss A Crew Chief Greg Butler, Rick Shanholtzer, and crew member Eric watch Miss A intently during Brent's 1st qualification run.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	_WC64502.jpg Views:	0 Size:	917.0 KB ID:	263735

Miss America taxis in after her qualification run.

Name:	_WC64534.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	641.5 KB
ID:	263743

Pilot Brent Hisey walks back from Miss America after his run.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	_WC64573.jpg Views:	0 Size:	589.2 KB ID:	263737

The crew working on and determining the cause of the issues Brent experienced during his run.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	20230912_141238.jpg Views:	0 Size:	989.7 KB ID:	263738

The crew working on and determining the cause of the issues Brent experienced during his run.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	20230912_181831.jpg Views:	0 Size:	991.5 KB ID:	263739

The crew discussing the current game plan to get Miss A back to flying status.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	20230912_185214.jpg Views:	0 Size:	856.9 KB ID:	263740

Dennis Sanders (left) talks with pilot Brent Hisey - good news was what the team needed.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	20230912_190400.jpg Views:	0 Size:	670.7 KB ID:	263741
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Pylon1_Mark; 09-13-2023, 05:15 AM.
                              Mark K....

Comment

• That’s a tough break for everyone involved! But I have faith they can get it all squared away!

Thanks for the update Mark!
                                "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X