This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John H View Post
    In same place and the deadline bust was very clear . I said when I saw that to my friends , " Brent what are you doing?!! "
    From my seat in the grandstands, the pylon cut was very clear, as was high flying on the back of the course. I didn't see the show line cut, but if it was near home pylon, I would have had the wrong perspective.

I have been critical of most of the past DQ's of Miss A, but I saw this pretty clearly. From my perspective, he visibly never got outside the pylon on the west side of the course. I knew pretty early on in the heat 3B that a DQ was coming...

I am super disappointed that we didn't get to see what Miss A can really do. The entire team put in a huge amount of work, and I was fully cheering them on.

Comment

• Even though it's been over for some time... the results speak to something always consistent with air racing - "**** happens!". It's a no excuses deal - Brent was DQ'd, and unable to bump into the Gold race on Sunday, and then due to the events the next day, unable to race at all. We can sit here and focus on that (which won't get anyone anywhere) or we can at least see the victory that was achieved by the crew and many others... both during race week and the months & years before Reno 2023. The entire crew and many other players put in a huge amount of effort towards what they hoped would be a hallmark year for Miss America. Just because it didn't happen shouldn't and doesn't diminish that effort.

I'm just in the process of getting the pictures organized and processed... when I get done with a day of pics (or enough to post), I'll post 'em here in that light - to honor the effort of those that did the dirty work, mostly out of sight and in the trenches.

See ya soon!
      Mark K....

Comment

• Well said Mark!
        "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by wadeh View Post
          I have been critical of most of the past DQ's of Miss A, but I saw this pretty clearly. From my perspective, he visibly never got outside the pylon on the west side of the course. I knew pretty early on in the heat 3B that a DQ was coming...
          It occurs to me that the first sentence above is a bit ambiguous.

When I say that I was critical, I mean that I think that Miss A has been unfairly DQ'ed a number of times. Especially when the DQ was for high flying (over the past few years), I didn't see him flying any higher than a number of other planes through the day that were not DQ'ed.

I did not mean in any way to say that I have been critical of Miss A for being DQ'ed. I am a fan of this team, and applaud the effort that that's been put into the program for the last couple of years.

As I said in another post, I am disappointed that we didn't get to see what Miss A can really do.
          Last edited by wadeh; 09-21-2023, 06:35 PM.

Comment

• Just watched Saturday Silver Heat on YT, Miss A seemed pretty fast. Are any lap speeds communicated?

It could be around 450 mph @100 inches or so, what you guys are guessing? I think Brent was certainly not at full power...

Comment

• Originally posted by Gibbs View Post
              Just watched Saturday Silver Heat on YT, Miss A seemed pretty fast. Are any lap speeds communicated?

It could be around 450 mph @100 inches or so, what you guys are guessing? I think Brent was certainly not at full power...
              We had him hand timed around 390 or so for most of his early laps. I doubt he was above 85, maybe 90" or so. It didn't sound very spooled up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt58 View Post
                Well said Mark!
                No Kidding! Mark was a great source of wisdom for me at the races this year... "it is what it is"
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

• Thank you so much for all your coverage Mark, it provides a fascinating insight into what it takes to prep to race at this level.

And it should go without saying it was fantastic to meet you!
                  Zac in NZ

Comment

• Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
                    Yes, over the last year and a half I've been able to talk with the crew & Doc... talk about all the different mods (airframe & power plant) and I've actually been able to document most with photos. However, there are a few mods that Brent wishes to keep quiet until after the races this year, so I'll share what I can.

Mark.....​
                    With respect to all the teams who spent coutless amounts of time and money this year to attend and participate at Reno 2023, is it too soon to ask if any additional information is available about how Miss America's potential was looking this year with all of the mods including those not previously mentioned?

In the ficticious world where the Unlimited Gold final would have run and Miss America, Bardahl Special, and Dreadnaught would have met, anyone care to speculate how it might have turned out?

Thanks. . .

Don

Comment

• Originally posted by CRJpilot View Post

With respect to all the teams who spent coutless amounts of time and money this year to attend and participate at Reno 2023, is it too soon to ask if any additional information is available about how Miss America's potential was looking this year with all of the mods including those not previously mentioned?

In the ficticious world where the Unlimited Gold final would have run and Miss America, Bardahl Special, and Dreadnaught would have met, anyone care to speculate how it might have turned out?

Thanks. . .

Don
                      With all that's occurred since I made that statement, it's probably best to talk with Brent first, just to be on the safe side. I'll have to get back to you on that.
                      Mark K....

Comment

• I don't want to step on anyone's toes or rush anyone as they personally process this years event.

Even if he wants to keep this out of the public forum, we all still really appreciate what has already been shared as they pursued their goal.

I'm finding that talking about all the good things as well as reviewing past stories and events, is helping to get over the shock.

I appreciate your sensitivity to their wishes.

Thanks in advance.

Don

Comment

Working...
                        X