Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outstanding, well done all - bring on Race Week!
    Zac in NZ

Comment

• All this talk about "big stacks" and "deep sound" got my curiosity up.

So, I watched the departure films on YouTube.

EEEYYYOOOOWWWW!!! that is one EVIL,MEAN,WICKED,BAD and NASTY sounding Mustang. Dunno what they've done to the engine, but it sure sounds STRONG!!

Have a good week in Reno. Looks (or rather SOUNDS) like we may be in for a real surprise.

Comment

• That aircraft has never sounded like that before!

Comment

• Hi Mark, many thanks for keeping us up-to-date so much detailed, great coverage!

Please short quest about the modified armor plate behind spinner: it’s fully closed (lower part with some kind of film) - what is the benefit of this?​

Comment

• I didn't know it was a 2 seater race plane.
            Lockheed Bob

Comment

• Originally posted by Gibbs View Post
              Please short quest about the modified armor plate behind spinner: it’s fully closed (lower part with some kind of film) - what is the benefit of this?​
              The modified plate behind the spinner is to restrict airflow from going into the cowling. At the speeds the top unlimited guys are going, they try to seal up the airframe as much as possible. The "film" is actually gray leather, the plate aluminum, the design for it... came from Jimmy Leward's GG.
              Mark K....

Comment

• Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                I didn't know it was a 2 seater race plane.
                It also has controls for flight back there... a true two seater
                Mark K....

Comment

• Is anything known about airframe mods on Miss A?

Prop line thrust (engine mounts), wings and vertical stabilizer - all "zero-ed out" (like it have Dago/Strega/Voodoo since years) or still in stock P-51D configurations?

thx
                  Gibbs

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigger Al View Post
                    That aircraft has never sounded like that before!
                    It has a couple of times before. 2002, 2005 when they were trying to go really fast for a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gibbs View Post
                      Is anything known about airframe mods on Miss A?
                      Yes, over the last year and a half I've been able to talk with the crew & Doc... talk about all the different mods (airframe & power plant) and I've actually been able to document most with photos. However, there are a few mods that Brent wishes to keep quiet until after the races this year, so I'll share what I can.

Originally posted by Gibbs View Post
                      Prop line thrust (engine mounts), wings and vertical stabilizer - all "zero-ed out" (like it have Dago/Strega/Voodoo since years) or still in stock P-51D configurations? thx Gibbs
                      As stated previously in last year's thread, the vertical stab on Miss A has been zeroed and prop thrust line offset ~0.150 inches to help Brent fly straight.

Just for clarification, Dago Red never had any wing incidence mods. The only mustangs I'm aware of that had this done was Strega & Voodoo... but I can assure you Dago Red never had this done. And just like Dago, Miss America has no wing incidence mod either. Miss A uses the same method that Dago Red used to trim the aircraft for high speeds... and without making any changes to the structure. It's referred to as adjusting the flap reflex - or adjusting the flaps to come-up a little higher in the back than stock, which "spoils" the lift, thus reducing the drag, thus increasing the speed. It effectively changes the wing's angle of incidence, and for the most part noticed only by a trained/informed eye.

Mark.....​
                      Mark K....

Comment

• Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
                        As stated previously in last year's thread, the vertical stab on Miss A has been zeroed and prop thrust line offset ~0.150 inches to help Brent fly straight.
                        oops, probably overlooked something...
                        Can’t wait for the races, and expect excited further informations (also about Bardahl Special and the others)​

Comment

• I visited the hangar today to see what's up - the team is busy packing up the trailer getting ready.

1 week to go!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	090223_1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.40 MB ID:	263550 Click image for larger version  Name:	090223_2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.57 MB ID:	263551 Click image for larger version  Name:	090223_3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.62 MB ID:	263552 Click image for larger version  Name:	090223_4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.57 MB ID:	263553

The team is taking a 250 gallon water tank for ADI as well as a host of other equipment and supplies. Greg told me that they'll be loading up more tomorrow & Monday... Trailer should arrive at Stead on Friday
                          Last edited by Pylon1_Mark; 09-02-2023, 07:22 PM.
                          Mark K....

Comment

• Doc, Greg & Team - with heavy hearts - Max and I are selling our Tickets and Pit Passes (other aafo post) - I just landed a new Job with Jeep® and I cannot make it. I did my best. I know you guys will be hoisting GOLD for Dad! Bless you all, fly fast and we will be online yelling from Austin, TX!

Comment

• Aircraft is at Stead, trailer's being loaded...things are feeling pretty real!

Originally posted by mitchcarley View Post
                              Doc, Greg & Team - with heavy hearts - Max and I are selling our Tickets and Pit Passes (other aafo post) - I just landed a new Job with Jeep® and I cannot make it. I did my best. I know you guys will be hoisting GOLD for Dad! Bless you all, fly fast and we will be online yelling from Austin, TX!
                              Great news on the job front Mitch but I was really looking forward to meeting you!
                              Zac in NZ

Comment

• Originally posted by mitchcarley View Post
                                Doc, Greg & Team - with heavy hearts - Max and I are selling our Tickets and Pit Passes (other aafo post) - I just landed a new Job with Jeep® and I cannot make it. I did my best. I know you guys will be hoisting GOLD for Dad! Bless you all, fly fast and we will be online yelling from Austin, TX!
                                Mitch, PLEASE read PM!
                                Wayne Sagar
                                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                                X