Who's Mustang #7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who's Mustang #7

My jaw dropped when I saw the history on this plane. I grew up in San Luis Obispo, graduated from High-school & started flight lessons in '69.

I knew Frank Barrena (Barrera??) as I used to hang-out @ the airport instead of cruisin' A&W. He'd cruise over school @ lunch on the way back from wherever, & would usually do a nice slow alieron roll. Sweet.

Frank was also a customer at the auto parts/speed shop I worked at & you can bet I always waited on him just for the chance to ask questions about the airplane & flying it.

The following was related first-hand from Frank a few years after selling the Mustang;
    Seems the "Black Crown-Victoria, dark-glasses, speaker in the ear-types" arrived one day & "kindly" invited him to take a quick trip somewhere ( he didn't say where) to inspect parts of his old plane. They thought they had found it in a raid, completely RE-ARMED in some South American republic. After flying him to the planes location he assured them it wasn't his as he had a custom dash, etc,etc. He said when they told about the re-armament he about had another heart-attack, as the person he sold the Mustang to looked a bit edgy at the time. I guess the Feds are against shipping surplus armed military stuff outta the country. NO sense of humor.
    Wow...my history lesson for the year.

Greg :

Comment

Working...
    X