Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BOOKS & MOVIES.....

Originally posted by Apteryx
    I'd heard they were scaled r/c's, anyone know for sure ?
    They did look pretty good.............................................. .Paul

Those were real Mustangs. Here is an obit for one of the Pilots.

More info. on the UK outfit who supplied the P-51's for the movie.

Comment

I'd heard they were scaled r/c's, anyone know for sure ?
      Those were real Mustangs. Here is an obit for one of the Pilots.
      Your both right. Spielberg used a combination of real aircraft and R/C's.

Check out this link about 3/4 of the way down the page.

I recall seeing the behind the scenes documentary of the making of that movie and that they used both. I recall that the R/C Mustangs had about a 6 foot wingspan.

Rick

Comment

Re: OH YEAH I FORGOT...

There are some HORRIBLE movies, with ligitimate crash scenes, that make them worth picking up at the bargain table. Here's two:

1)-"Attack of the Killer Tomatoes", the helicopter crash scene was NOT planned, and when you slo-mo, the reaction of the 'cop' actor in the foreground, is priceless.

2)-"Mother Lode", a movie I'm sure Charelton Heston would just as soon forget, but other then some good flight sequences in the begining, there's a crash, (TOTALLY UNPLANNED), of an amphib (think it was a 206), landing on a mountain lake, that caused them to completly re-write the movie, because they just COULDN'T pass up using the footage. They inserted the dialogue of the "concerned" girl friend, saying "are you SURE we're going to make-it, and the pilot of coarse says "PIECE OF CAKE" (famous last words).

*NOTE- I would never knowingly recomend ANY footage, we're anyone is seriously hurt. I ABSOLUTELY HATE THAT ABOUT SOME OF THESE STUPID 'VIDEO' SHOWS.........Paul

Comment

I saw a long trailer for the new "Flight of the Phoenix" on Sunday.

I hate to say it as I am a big fan of the Jimmy Stewart classic, but the new movie looks like it will be fun.

Can't wait to see it

Don

My favorite flying movies?

12 O'Clock High
          Waldo Pepper
          Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines
          Spirit of St Louis
          Strategic Air Command
          Flight of the Phoenix
          Top Gun (cut out the ground bound stuff)
          Bridges of Toko Ri
          Birds of Prey (Unbelievable Helicopter action)
          TV Series Black Sheep Squadron
          The mini-series From the Earth to the Moon
          Final Countdown

Plus lots more...heheheh

Don

Comment

Originally posted by hattend
            I saw a long trailer for the new "Flight of the Phoenix" on Sunday.
            I hate to say it as I am a big fan of the Jimmy Stewart classic, but the new movie looks like it will be fun.
            Can't wait to see it
            Some of my favorite flying movies:
            Birds of Prey (Unbelievable Helicopter action)
            TV Series Black Sheep Squadron
            Final Countdown
            Don
            Don-
            *Here's hoping, on 'Phoenix', (I can count the remakes I liked, on one hand.
            -If youv'e got good slo-mo, watch the scene in Birds of Prey, were they are chasing the guy down the road, the helicopter's tail rotor is actually taking chunks out of the bushes; and the face-off in the hanger, must've been some INTERESTING turbulance...Gavin & his crew are amazing
            -The real Boyington met the tv version, and reportley said: "I'd love to have had you in my squadron......so I could've knock you on your *ss...".
            -Top Gun, Loved the footage, wouldn't have minded the ground stuff, if Kelley had reprieved the "Witness" bath scene......(I know, pervert)..
            -Forgot about Final Countdown. Loved the disparety in technologies it really puncuates, how far we've come.

Anyway, thanks for keeping the thread, rolling...........Paul

Comment

Working...
            X