Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BOOKS & MOVIES.....

Originally posted by Apteryx
    Being fairly new to this forum, have you ever asked for members recomendations on (even old) books & movies.
    Here's a link to a list of movies w/ Aviation. By the way, I'd love to get a copy of Toward the Unknown. I think William Holden is in it.
    Connie

Comment

message formatting tip

I notice a fair amount of messages where the "quote" thing gets truncated... and it's usually at the end of the message quote..

If you make sure that the end of the quote has a bracket going this way [ then the forward slash / then quote behind that, then a closing ] it will all work...

The [ tells the proggy that a command is going to be given, then since the quote started with a [quote if you don't close the [/quote (that's what the forward slash does is close the command) the proggy doesn't present it as a quote..

Dont worry much about it.. if I see them, I usually open up your message and fix the "code" so it works..

Wayner
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by connie
        Here's a link to a list of movies w/ Aviation. By the way, I'd love to get a copy of Toward the Unknown. I think William Holden is in it.
        Connie
        http://faculty.dwc.edu/nicosia/apcm_...ion_movies.htm
        -----------------------------------------------------------------
        Thanks Connie, good link...
        That would take a life-time to wade through. that's were the recomendations come in handy.
        I'd frogetten Dr. Strangelove....George C. Scott's line about
        "frying chickens, in the barnyard" alone is enough to put it on the list.
        keep 'em coming...................................Paul

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
          Oh man...
          Wonder if any of the old Whirly Birds series episodes were put on any sort of media that any survive today? Would be neat to see just how "bad" it was... As I recall, the two main stars were kind of a for hire service but each week, something bad happened that only their -47 could save the day... cool stuff!

Wayne
          Helicopter 38-Bravo, out of Longwood Field (I've got a wierd memory),
          I could sing you the theme songs, to a lot of those old shows, but I don't drink anymore........................(Fireball-XL5 was my singature piece).
          Sky King episodes are showing up, hope they'll show up, someday.
          Used to love "Jett Jackson" too, (with his sidekick Icabod Mudd <2-d's>).
          Saw a clip of that one, not too long ago, I dont think I'd be Tivo-ing it, today.
          I Did manage to wangle some stick-time in a '47
          ... ....... ................................Paul

Comment

Re: BOOKS &amp; MOVIES.....

I'd frogetten Dr. Strangelove....George C. Scott's line about
            "frying chickens, in the barnyard" alone is enough to put it on the list.
            keep 'em coming...................................Paul
            I had forgotten about that movie and then was reminded of it by the "act" that the B-52 commander put on while partying with them down at the O club at Nellis... (sort of a "kill kill kill pysco act ) Now the crew were all in no more than their 20's, the commander, maybe eary to mid 30's. So the movie is not exactly their generation. I wondered if they'd seen it... bah.. stupid question! They not only have seen it, as soon as I asked, they started doing scenes from the movie. Had all the dialoge nailed they did... That was a fun bunch! Got to tour their airplane the next day also.. VERY hot up there without the AC on... Those airplanes are OLD and there has been no effort to "restore" them. They are vastly modernized electronically but, just OLD everywhere else..

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

B-52's, Those airplanes are OLD and there has been no effort to "restore" them. They are vastly modernized electronically but, just OLD everywhere else..

Wayne
              WAYNE-
              I know I'm about the same age, and I could use some new "moderinized" parts.
              Had a friend assigned to a B52 squadren, and not ONE of the guy's, was older then the airplanes they were flying.

P.S. OK I think I've got a handle on the quote-thing...... .......Paul

Comment

WAYNE-
                I know I'm about the same age, and I could use some new "moderinized" parts.
                Had a friend assigned to a B52 squadren, and not ONE of the guy's, was older then the airplanes they were flying.

P.S. OK I think I've got a handle on the quote-thing...... .......Paul
                They are quite the airplane! I'd never been that close to one, let alone, get up inside and sit in the right seater's slot!

And yes, you've got the quote thing doan and, I could use some of those new parts as well!

Wayner
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

They are quite the airplane! I'd never been that close to one, let alone, get up inside and sit in the right seater's slot!
                  Wayner
                  WANDERING OFF THREAD-
                  I just like to watch them take-off, they don't rotate, they levitate.
                  I don't know if they still have them, but they used to have (nuclear) blast sheilds, that drop down behind the cockpit windows, to slightly, prolong the crews lives. Talk about trusting your instruments......
                  Nixon had them orbiting JUST outside Soviet airspace, a few times, they DO make a statement. Their missions are often looooong, they are hot, heavy, smelly, relatively slow, beasts, a big salute to the men and women that fly them, certainly not glamorous duty....

Comment

WANDERING OFF THREAD-
                    I just like to watch them take-off, they don't rotate, they levitate.
                    I don't know if they still have them, but they used to have (nuclear) blast sheilds, that drop down behind the cockpit windows, to slightly, prolong the crews lives. Talk about trusting your instruments......
                    Nixon had them orbiting JUST outside Soviet airspace, a few times, they DO make a statement. Their missions are often looooong, they are hot, heavy, smelly, relatively slow, beasts, a big salute to the men and women that fly them, certainly not glamorous duty....
                    No ****e! They take off with a negative angle of attack a lot of times! Nose down climb... that's kind of helicopter like..

Second the salute!

Wayne
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Movies- I forgot about The Right Stuff. The F-104 takeoff sequence is my favorite part. Good home theater surround sound demo clip at the time it came out. I even had it on Laserdisc!!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams
                        Movies- I forgot about The Right Stuff. !
                        I'll still take the book, that's the problem with Hollywood, they try to "punch-up", or glamorize, stories that stand well enough, on there own. Changing history, dumbing-up story lines, laugh tracks, fictitional characters, simplifying dialoge, trying to reach the lowest common denominator. I've seen footage from a cruise missle test, knap of the earth, that beats that stupid "psychodelic" cr*p for Yeagers mach runs. What, was he supposed to be on acid. PLEEEASE.

Of coarse there's TOP GUN, some beautiful footage, and saddly lost Art Scholl, to the thing, but there wasn't a military pilot I know, that didn't need a barf-bag.

I've seen a multiple generation video copy of carrier mis-haps, no narration, that I'd pay to see, over 98% of Hollywood's offerings.

Sorry "T", that movie pulls my "eject" handle .................Paul

Comment

Of coarse there's TOP GUN, some beautiful footage, and saddly lost Art Scholl, to the thing, but there wasn't a military pilot I know, that didn't need a barf-bag.
                          My favorite line from Top Gun was when Iceman says "Maverick's in a flat spin, and he's headed out to sea."

Of course, if you edit out all the non-flying sequences and anything plot related your left with about 37 minutes of decent F-14 flying footage.

Comment

Originally posted by rpzo
                            RE: Top Gun
                            Of course, if you edit out all the non-flying sequences and anything plot related your left with about 37 minutes of decent F-14 flying footage.
                            ....TRUE
                            They got a pretty recruiting film out of it, but I'd rather watch
                            "Hot Shots" one or duex, "be careful, it's dangerous out there..."..
                            .................................................. ......................Paul

Comment

In the movie "Empire of the Sun" had a great scene at the end when some Mustangs attack the POW/Japanese Airfield and the kid just going crazy seeing them. They focus one part on the kid just staring and one of the pilot's as he waves to him. Pretty dramatic!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
                                In the movie "Empire of the Sun" had a great scene at the end when some Mustangs attack the POW/Japanese Airfield
                                I'd heard they were scaled r/c's, anyone know for sure ?
                                They did look pretty good.............................................. .Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X