Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digital memory

This came across my desk...

Looks like it might have some application given the capacity, flexibility on interfaces and speed, particularly with the ever-increasing file sizes.

I have a copy of the pre-release for a cell-phone with the first rotary memory in it... less than an inch in size, full gig, and decent access time. It's supposed to do similar duty to the one above in addition to killing you as you try to figure it all out while driving.

I fully expect to see the next version of the Bat-Belt out soon to accommodate all this stuff.

MAE - Comments@Reno-SteadAirport.com

Comment

Re: 2004 Lemoore NAS Airshow

Hummn, looks like a sort of self contained card reader with direct USB plug in capability. The memory is just standard microdrive. Fairly cheap for a 2gb MD tho.. I'm swearing off MD's in favor of solid state though. I have an older MD and I'm afraid to use it anymore! And, it's slower than snot.

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I agree with you Wayne, solid state is the way to go. I've seen to many hard drives die a horrible death. Maybe its the flashbacks to my first tech job quality testing 16MB (yes that is an M) hard drives. You had to be real certain to let the platters stop spinning and park the heads before you moved it. Even bumping the table while the drive was spinning could cause the heads to :cword:. The technology is amazing though, considering that the tolerances between the head and platter is equivelent to a 747 flying full throttle 3 feet above the ground, but I prefer no moving parts in my portable memory. Spend the money on extra memory cards and transfer them to a PC that's on a nice, sturdy, table.

Rick

Comment

Rick, I do like the added storage ability for cheaps though. The Creative Labs Muvo player currently selling for about $199. has a 4gb MD in it that you can pull out and format. Tests show it's really fast also..

But... it's a Microdrive!

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

That is tempting...but its still a little spinning disk. I'm sure the failure rate falls within the expected industry standards of once every 7 years or so but I would hate to have my only copy of that Pulitzer Prize winning photo on that drive when it does decide to self destruct.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rpzo
              That is tempting...but its still a little spinning disk. I'm sure the failure rate falls within the expected industry standards of once every 7 years or so but I would hate to have my only copy of that Pulitzer Prize winning photo on that drive when it does decide to self destruct.

Rick
              It is tempting but I just ordered a 1gb Sandisc Ultra 1gb for something like $169. after the rebate from Fry's, they were out of stock, however, so it'll be a while...

I don't like the MD's for the same reasons you state.. though, every time I fill a card, I dump it into my Minds@Work Digital Wallet, which is just a laptop hard drive in a small case...

There's always some risk, be it with film, which the lab can ruin, or a disk or *something*....

I'm hoping now that I'm going to shoot all raw images, I'll be able to handle the storage needs! Compressed .nef files are somewhere between 3.5 and 4 mb each, if I shoot the combo, .nef + .jpg (which there really is no reason to do) it runs upwards of 4.5 to 5 mb each shot.

That will give me roughly 80-100 shots on a 512 mb.. certainly should be enough and 512 is my biggest card at the moment..

I'm beginning to really like this new camera! Can't wait to shoot some airplanes to see how it does with that challenge!

Wayne
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                I'm hoping now that I'm going to shoot all raw images, I'll be able to handle the storage needs! Compressed .nef files are somewhere between 3.5 and 4 mb each, if I shoot the combo, .nef + .jpg (which there really is no reason to do) it runs upwards of 4.5 to 5 mb each shot.
                I wish my camera would shoot the NEF/JPG combination. NEF's are great, but they're big and take a long time to convert, so if you're trying to just get a quick look, the JPEGs are a lot faster. In fact, here is an interesting article that talks about Sports Illustrated's digital workflow as it was used at the Super Bowl:
                SI's digital workflow
                They require both NEF & JPEG so they can quickly look at what they've got and still have a high quality image to print from.

Jeff
                Jeff Lo
                Biplane race #13 "Miss Gianna"
                Biplane race #6 "Miss Dianne"

Comment

The only way to cure that urge to shoot some airplane pics is to go out and shoot some airplane pics. They don't make any gum you can chew to help you over that craving.

I was at Costco the other day and they had 256MB Sandisk cards for something like $44 each. In RAW mode that would be good for about 40 pics. It would be good to have as a spare if I fill up the 1GB card. I was tempted to pick up a couple but held off. I figured if I waited a month they would either come down in price or double in capacity for the same price.

The irony about this string for me is that for the last few days I have been backing up the image files from my hard drive and archiving on CDs. I've saved most of the images in tiff format and therefore get about 12-14 images on each CD. With film I always had an original to go back to if my computer took a dump, with digital... I think my next computer hardware purchase will have to be a DVD burner.

Rick

Comment

While the D1 would shoot .nef's, I never really used that feature because it just took too long to write to the card. The D1 could have been improved a LOT with firmware revisions, had Nikon not just abandoned it. For one the speed at which it would process cards, I think, could have been upped..

Anyway.. this machine is a lot faster, so I probably will use the combo feature.. at least until I see how the flow goes. The .nef files do take a while to open on my laptop, they open pretty quick on my 2.6GHz desktop though..

Time for a new laptop?? (I wish!!)

Wayne
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The only way to cure that urge to shoot some airplane pics is to go out and shoot some airplane pics. They don't make any gum you can chew to help you over that craving.

I was at Costco the other day and they had 256MB Sandisk cards for something like $44 each. In RAW mode that would be good for about 40 pics. It would be good to have as a spare if I fill up the 1GB card. I was tempted to pick up a couple but held off. I figured if I waited a month they would either come down in price or double in capacity for the same price.

The irony about this string for me is that for the last few days I have been backing up the image files from my hard drive and archiving on CDs. I've saved most of the images in tiff format and therefore get about 12-14 images on each CD. With film I always had an original to go back to if my computer took a dump, with digital... I think my next computer hardware purchase will have to be a DVD burner.

Rick
                      Rick,

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/...=1&incimage=on they've got the 256 sannys for $36.99 and some other good deals also..

I'm gonna go shoot some airplanes next week to be exact.. tell ya more about it later..

DVD burner is a rip! Or as the young guys say now.. it's dope!

Faster than CD's by a long shot and ALL that space!!!!!!!

Wayne
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I'm gonna go shoot some airplanes next week to be exact.. tell ya more about it later..
                        Look forward to seeing what the new camera can do.

BTW, looks like I got a reprieve, for the weekend at least. The union is going to hold of at least until Monday. My personal opinion is that a strike is not going to happen.

Rick

Comment

Look forward to seeing what the new camera can do.

BTW, looks like I got a reprieve, for the weekend at least. The union is going to hold of at least until Monday. My personal opinion is that a strike is not going to happen.

Rick
                          I'm looking forward to the foray too! Should be fun and something pretty different.

I hope they don't go out! Nobody wins when a strike happens..
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                          X